PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a "new to me" Jeep

Newfie
06-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey all I'm looking at buying an used all stock 1995 2dr XJ with 240,000km it has a 4L HO and 5speed with part time TC.(AX-15 and NP231?) So I'm wondering about a few things. Being a part time TC will there be an axle disconnect? theres a high pinion dana 30 in the front is it also reverse rotation? It has a few oil leaks, both diff cover are leaking the pinion seal on the 30 is leaking and looks like a pan gasket leak.

I would assume at this mileage these are normal leaks. Anyone have any idea how much it would be to have the pinion seal replaced? I ask that for sake of talking him down a little and cause I'll have to do it sooner or later. The motor for the most part looked clean and it has a header. It started quickly and i let it run for it to get to temp (it stopped it 100c is that normal?) no strange noises or check engine light. I ran it at 1500rpm for a bit to see if the temp would rise but it didn't.

So for the most part it looks good over all but is there anything else I should look for? any tips for things to look for?

DeeDee
06-21-2008, 06:14 PM
R u getting it cheap?

Newfie
06-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Hes asking 1800 for it

Kinslayer
06-22-2008, 11:39 PM
It's a 95.. that will be a non-disco front end if memory serves me.. Pinion seal is about 20 bucks from lordco (plus labour to install it of course.. but that's not much, remember to torque that nut to spec)

Look for floor rust in particular. The motors are fuckin' bulletproof for the most part, you might notice it tick when it runs at low RPM for a while though- this is a semi-normal thing indicating that the oil pressure is getting low.. means the oil pump is a little weak - no biggie though.

Replacement front ends are dime-a-dozen, you can pick up a d30 without much difficulty for 50 bucks on these sites. Check to see what rear end it has, a 95 might have a 8.25 27 spline, which is a tough axle with aftermarket support.. the d35 has aftermarket support but isn't very strong. Check the front end, look for sloppy tie-rod ends and ball joints... point them out.

1800 isn't a bad price for that unit in my opinion.. let him know that there is some work going to need to be done and see what you can get him down to.... and then welcome to the 2dr club!

Hey all I'm looking at buying an used all stock 1995 2dr XJ with 240,000km it has a 4L HO and 5speed with part time TC.(AX-15 and NP231?) So I'm wondering about a few things. Being a part time TC will there be an axle disconnect? theres a high pinion dana 30 in the front is it also reverse rotation? It has a few oil leaks, both diff cover are leaking the pinion seal on the 30 is leaking and looks like a pan gasket leak.

I would assume at this mileage these are normal leaks. Anyone have any idea how much it would be to have the pinion seal replaced? I ask that for sake of talking him down a little and cause I'll have to do it sooner or later. The motor for the most part looked clean and it has a header. It started quickly and i let it run for it to get to temp (it stopped it 100c is that normal?) no strange noises or check engine light. I ran it at 1500rpm for a bit to see if the temp would rise but it didn't.

So for the most part it looks good over all but is there anything else I should look for? any tips for things to look for?

lornix
06-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Yup, what Kinslayer said ... also check the carpet for damp areas as they do like to leak once they've been flexed a few times. I would also recommend you take it for a good run, up a few hills, through some traffic, etc and make sure it has no cooling issues ... they can be a bitch. Fan clutch, rad, water pump etc.

But, parts are plentiful and cheap so an XJ makes a good rig to keep repair costs as low as possible.

[cheers]

Newfie
07-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the info guys[cheers]

Though I didn't get to see this before I got my new rig cause of work.:o
Heres a pic of it enjoying the view up east Harrison FSR.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/soloxxx/HPIM0244.jpg

It has a non-disco front end, the 4liter rocks:party0010: way more power than the old 22r I had, no 8.25 just a d35[16] looks like I'm in the market for a 8.25 or d44 or do a 8.8 swap. The under side is pretty clean, seems the factory undercoat is mostly there and not tons of fresh stuff caked on.

It does seem to get damp carpet in the front near the doors.:confused: When I got it I had all the fluids changed right away. But I do see the temp gauge climb when I doing slow speed crawling.The temp will rise to the last white line before the red than the secondary fan kicks in and it comes back down.

So far nothing really bad has shown its face. I also just can't believe how smooth the ride is! I've been exploring each weekend now, even found the trail to sunrise lake.:happy0045: Them rocks be big for a stock xj didn't make it to the crack cause the TC shifter pops out of low range.:confused0006:

Over all I'm really enjoying it but can wait for a small lift and some 30s.[36]

Josh_M
07-13-2008, 01:15 AM
2" budget boost from thrills and 30s is an awesome setup. Thats what i had on my rokee, took out the sway bars and you can do some pretty good shit

Kinslayer
07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys[cheers]

So far nothing really bad has shown its face. I also just can't believe how smooth the ride is! I've been exploring each weekend now, even found the trail to sunrise lake.:happy0045: Them rocks be big for a stock xj didn't make it to the crack cause the TC shifter pops out of low range.:confused0006:

Over all I'm really enjoying it but can wait for a small lift and some 30s.[36]

My new one pops out of lowrange too..but luckily there's an adjustment in the linkage

copeland
07-15-2008, 07:26 AM
is there an online map for East harrison?

Newfie
07-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Not that I know of but I got a backroads map book from a gas station. They have almost all the trails and add a pen and you can add your own.:D