PDA

View Full Version : Who runs propane ?

Josh_M
06-15-2008, 11:07 PM
It almost looks like i can run a small block V8 on propane for the same price as a 4 banger on gas... Anyone run propane? Thoughts on it ? Thanks.

chevy69chevelle
06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Just picked up a pickup that runs off propane, filled up both tanks (136 bucks) driving to langley (200th) and back from abbotsford for work. filled up on wed, i'll let you know how far we make it on a tank

roughly as i need to fix the speedo on it(cable isn't mounted to tranny, whoever put the t400 in it from a t350 didn't feel the need to connect it)

chevy69chevelle
06-15-2008, 11:21 PM
oh and it's got a 350 in it, 1980 scotsdale, converted in 84 w/ a hell of a lot of km's on it, still runs awesome.

Jack
06-15-2008, 11:39 PM
My Dad runs a 89 F-150 w/4.9l 300 I6 and swears by it. he says it awesome and uses gas only when he runs outa prop since his gauge dont work. Cost him alot to drive to work and home. But when hes on prop... It cuts his bill down to almost half if not more.

ROBO
06-16-2008, 06:49 AM
prop dont stall..at any angle draw back to that is.. have too carry a extra tank sometimes .. but if your motor is set up for it .. it will do you real well.
if not the extra savings you think your getting... well it evens out in the amount of prop you need too do the same things as gas.

HEAVY METAL
06-16-2008, 07:11 AM
i have ran both.. and never goin back too propane..

barracuda
06-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Propane Has its benifits and if set to run on propane it will produce very good power and be effecciant.
Ya cant just slap a propane kit on a gasoline truck with no other mods and expect it to run as it should .
It has differnt characteristics to Gasoline so to take advantage of them you will need to set the engine up accordingley. .
The Biggest drawback is tanks and finding propane dealers running out of propane just plain sucks.
The best comprimise is to set the engine up for propane but have the ability to run gasoline also , dual fuel with the emphasis on the propane as that is what you will use the most. I have run in 30 below hunting without issue, been top to bottom of this province on propane and it is a saveing over regular gas. as for off roading you can Lug at 400-500rpm on propane very easily for crawling.

Rdnk_Wmn
06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
I DO I DO
Propane good :D

Josh_M
06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
I DO I DO
Propane good :D

Was your truck parked across from ford dealer by BK yesterday ? We drove by and i saw that beast, my buddy goes "i bet it doesnt go offroad, look at the paint" ... I just kept quiet :party0010:

chevy69chevelle
06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
so far the truck is comparable to the 84 Camry my room mate drives, and a hell of a lot better then the srt-4 WAS. a week of driving and we've used up 1/3 of the tanks roughly

Josh_M
06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Reason i made this thread is because i kind of found a big block powerwagon on propane i like... 36's... POWER... not a good daily driver but sick offroad i bet

pistnbroke
06-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I run propane in my big block and it was built for propane.

Josh_M
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I run propane in my big block and it was built for propane.

Do you find it really expensive to run ? Im a poor student so...[36]

pistnbroke
06-17-2008, 10:18 PM
it's cheaper to fill up but mileage:dontknow:

Josh_M
06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
hahaha yea the way im lookin at it is propane costs about half as much, but it gets half as much mileage as my heep, so it kinda evens out.. almost..

dirka dave
06-18-2008, 12:36 AM
PROPANE IS FOR BBQ'S....

pumpkin
06-18-2008, 06:46 AM
My only personal experiance with propane was on a ford pu with a 400 that was built up a bit. It had 9.5 to 1 compression, built for gas, but switched it to dual fuel. We used it to tow the stock car to liloett. As it turned out it cost more money per kilometer on propane, than gasoline, and we lost power on gas, with the setup. The power on propane was even worse. Iam not a big fan of propane on v8's. On inline sixes it works great, and in a lot of cases gives more power and better economy than gas. Now days if your going to convert a vehicle that is 89 or newer it has to be a feedback system that ties into the 02 sensor. This makes the conversion more expensive. So in an efort to save 20% or so on fuel costs the $4000 or so to convert to propane takes a lot of years to pay for itself. I would look more towards overdrive trans for better economy, and fuel injection for wheeling.

HEAVY METAL
06-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Propane Has its benifits and if set to run on propane it will produce very good power and be effecciant.
Ya cant just slap a propane kit on a gasoline truck with no other mods and expect it to run as it should .
It has differnt characteristics to Gasoline so to take advantage of them you will need to set the engine up accordingley. .
The Biggest drawback is tanks and finding propane dealers running out of propane just plain sucks.
The best comprimise is to set the engine up for propane but have the ability to run gasoline also , dual fuel with the emphasis on the propane as that is what you will use the most. I have run in 30 below hunting without issue, been top to bottom of this province on propane and it is a saveing over regular gas. as for off roading you can Lug at 400-500rpm on propane very easily for crawling.

what kinda output is ur motor makin at that kind of rpm? id rather run in the 1200 range at least ur gettin soem hp and tq outta the motor....

Rdnk_Wmn
06-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Was your truck parked across from ford dealer by BK yesterday ? We drove by and i saw that beast, my buddy goes "i bet it doesnt go offroad, look at the paint" ... I just kept quiet :party0010:
YES YES That was her! lol
:D:D :D :D :D

barracuda
06-18-2008, 09:31 AM
your power loss should be less then 10% and that can easily be made up with other mods. the biggest problem seems to be applying gasoline characteristics to propane . Once you get familier with it it works fairly well and your mileage shouldnt be kicked in the balls either unless the engine has not been set up properly.

barracuda
06-18-2008, 09:43 AM
[/color]

what kinda output is ur motor makin at that kind of rpm? id rather run in the 1200 range at least ur gettin soem hp and tq outta the motor....

Dont really know what the power is ? I just used the parts that i figured would compliment each other on propane .

in 4l when when it gets lugged down to 400-500 rpm (normal idle is about 700) all it will do is spin the tires really slowly and if i try to stall it with the brakes it protests and seems to spit out the u-joint . My only concern with lugging it is oiling or the sudden stess to the driveline if i step on the gas.

lornix
06-18-2008, 12:06 PM
I had a van (Astro) on Propane. The engine was clean and had almost 500,000 km on it. When I changed oil there was very little discoloration - virtually no deposits. So one good point is that it can extend the life of your engine considerably providing it's in good shape to begin with.

Down side - finding Propane when you forget to fill up. I carried a map in the van with all the locations in the lower mainland on it. I ran out once and it cost me 80.00 to have a truck come out and save my ass. I had no BBQ adapter so I was hooped. Another thing I noticed was probably 20% less power than an identical van on gas (we had 2 Astros in the family at the time both with 4.3L V-6).

If the conversion is already done and done right I would say go for it. Cheaper and cleaner, but make sure you know how far a tank will get you as propane gauges are notorious for not working right.

Personally I would not do it again - especially in a wheeler where quick access to fuel is a concern - unless you have huge capacity or extra tanks.

I found milage to be roughly the same in the 2 vans, but the propane one was definitely cheaper to run - almost half as much as gas powered one.

Good luck with it!

Murd0c
06-18-2008, 01:30 PM
The new propane kits I'm selling at work theres no loss of power at all, people love it I'm going to be putting my DD on propane just since I will be paying 60 cents a litre :D

barracuda
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: 60 cents a litre :D:eek: :eek: :eek:

Murd0c
06-18-2008, 01:51 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Why is that good or somthing :dontknow:

barracuda
06-18-2008, 01:53 PM
thats about 15 to 18c cheaper then the pumps

Murd0c
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
thats about 15 to 18c cheaper then the pumps

So thats why I was told I can get a special card for Superior/auto gas and canwest :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045:

lornix
06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
The new propane kits I'm selling at work theres no loss of power at all, people love it I'm going to be putting my DD on propane just since I will be paying 60 cents a litre :D

My setup was an older one. An Impco 300 Mixer... it could have been a saggy diaphragm that caused power loss, but it was noticeable. I have heard the newer systems are better.

Murd0c
06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Then get a new diaphram there fricken cheap

Josh_M
06-18-2008, 05:53 PM
I will be paying 60 cents a litre :D

how so cheap ?

AJsToy
06-18-2008, 07:07 PM
beats the almostn $1.50 aa ltr goin now....LOL...my ford has dual (propane/gas) I found that in the very very hot heat of summer, sometimes it will have issues....also on a real icy cold night....but otherwise, found less power on propane, almost same milage....but I could just imagine running out of propane & not havin the gas conversion...headaches...
I'm with the diesel idea & runnin veggie oil...they havent found a way to tax that yet...

nebowe
06-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey...Chevy shortbox with the 383 stroker on propane and a 500 mixer plus headers....works good for me! no probs and i carry a spare forklift cylinder for extra to get me out trouble....

Jack
06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
So thats why I was told I can get a special card for Superior/auto gas and canwest :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045:
i told my Dad that theres a guy that can get a propane card for the card locks and hes wondering of how you go about that. Do you need real good credit for that?
could you maybe shed some light on that??

Murd0c
06-18-2008, 09:49 PM
i told my Dad that theres a guy that can get a propane card for the card locks and hes wondering of how you go about that. Do you need real good credit for that?
could you maybe shed some light on that??

lol has nothing to do about credit it's all in who you know ;)

I'm a supplier to autogas,canwest and superior(national account) and I can basicly get a "staff" card that gets me 15 cents off street price. Basicly a cardlock card. (truckers don't pay street price either)

Trooper
06-19-2008, 08:32 PM
All the card locks I ever used are credit cards. I have a petro one for heating fuel and market. I applyied with petro canada. Gave them all my credit and company info. You can lock yourself in at a rate. I think you need to spend 30g's a years tho. Some poeple are still locked into 99 for diesel.

StillRYE
06-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Are you sure it's .60 a liter? I have a Canwest account adn last I checked I was paying .62 cents a pound not a liter. Which only works out to a couple cents cheaper then pump price.

4.9L Ford
06-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Still a couple cents savings goes a lil bit further then payin full price all the time. I run propane and it works out real well for me. Maybe not in a V8 but in my 6 cyl it realy works.

Murd0c
06-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Are you sure it's .60 a liter? I have a Canwest account adn last I checked I was paying .62 cents a pound not a liter. Which only works out to a couple cents cheaper then pump price.

it's baslciy a employee card I was told I can get