PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a drop pitman arm????

C.W.
06-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a 2.5" ttb lift that i will be putting in my 91 f-150 with the drop brackets and coils and im planning on keeping my 2" blocks that are under my coils for a 4.5" lift.
Will i need to swap pitman arm?
Also wondering if someone can tell me where to get extended brake hoses in the okanagan, the guys at lordco here are idiots. They suggested connecting two factory hoses together per side. [16] :fighting0071:

In The Zone
06-10-2008, 07:39 AM
No but it would help with the inverted Y setup.
as for the brake lines u can easily relocate em to a lower mounting point for now..
or use two rear lines....

Bronco Boy
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I have a 2.5" ttb lift that i will be putting in my 91 f-150 with the drop brackets and coils and im planning on keeping my 2" blocks that are under my coils for a 4.5" lift.
Will i need to swap pitman arm?
Yes. I know people have done 4" lifts w/o the pitman, but it buggers the steering geometry.

Also wondering if someone can tell me where to get extended brake hoses in the okanagan, the guys at lordco here are idiots. They suggested connecting two factory hoses together per side. [16] :fighting0071:
Like Zone said, just relocate them. When I first did my 4" TTB lift, I just drilled a hole a few inches lower on the frame.

** Edit

Just found a picture; this is after the SAS, so the brake line is back in the original position. You can see the hole where it used to go, down and to the right:

http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Bronco/Projects/SAS/SAS_55.JPG

C.W.
06-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replys.
Bronco boy, Did you only need to relocate the line down about an inch?
What did you do for the rear hose?
It has that block that the metal lines attach to at the one end so im not sure how i would use two of them.
Im thinking of a shackle flip in the rear hoping it is close to level with the front.

Bronco Boy
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Bronco boy, Did you only need to relocate the line down about an inch?
Yes.

What did you do for the rear hose?
I kept the stock hose for a while as I couldn't get the rear one off without breaking all the other lines. I did switch to braided, but that was only after the steel line ruptured at the frame, so I had no choice. I replaced the flex hose, the steel lines on the axle, and flare a piece up at the frame.

It has that block that the metal lines attach to at the one end so im not sure how i would use two of them.
You remove that line and replace it with the braided one. It has the junction block on it.

Im thinking of a shackle flip in the rear hoping it is close to level with
the front.
I think shackle flips get you about 3"-4" lift, so you should be pretty close.

C.W.
06-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Was the factory rear hose long enough for thelift or is that why the metal line broke?

Bronco Boy
06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I never had any problems with the stock rear hose.

The F-150's might be the same, but on the Bronco's, where the hard line runs along the inside of the frame rail, and when it gets close to the tank it does an almost 90* bend. That area around the bend gets packed with mud 'n crap and rots the hard line.

Of course it happened to me the evening of a 4 day camping trip. :mad:

C.W.
06-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Sounds like the same set up as my truck.
How much lift did you do in the rear?

Bronco Boy
06-10-2008, 07:30 PM
4". First with the Rancho dual add-a-leafs, then after many years, I broke a main leaf, so I swapped in some Pro-Comp 4" springs. Much better ride and WAY more articulation.

Tha_Stepside
06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Skyjacker, Russel, Pro Comp all make extended SS Braided brake lines.

brothergrimms
06-11-2008, 02:20 PM
use earls for your brake lines you can make them any length and their cheaper then pro comp all the rest mopac or lordco carry it[cheers]