PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Tundra 4x4

Beachwheeler
06-06-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Tundra with the Offroad package and was wondering if any one had heard anything good or bad about them.....

Updated with pics.

Well this is what I ended up buying, what a sweet ride!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk181/crewmax/2008%20Crewmax%20pics/DSCF7587.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk181/crewmax/2008%20Crewmax%20pics/DSCF7588.jpg

crazylike
06-06-2008, 08:14 AM
What else is there to say besides its a Toyota... Should go like snott and run forever...

giggityjeep
06-06-2008, 09:11 AM
What else is there to say besides its a Toyota... Should go like snott and run forever...

Ya not so much, go like snot it will...with 4.30 gears and a big ass 5.7, what wouldnt....good on gas to... #yeah ..NOT...

do some research on the Yots, I sell GM and Chev so Im biased, but they are not all they are cracked up to be, there is a reason the Yota Baja Team used a LS2 engine in there rig....

the Yotas have tailgate issues, crank issues, and motor mount issues, to name a few, if on a dirt road the box will bounce around so much that it hits the back of the cab and may break the window, either way it will dnet the cab....and they only have lieka 1300 lb payload, man you and couple your friends and a mountain bike and its overweight.

The stabilitrak system they use SHUTS OFF when in 4x4, kinda useless if you ask me, no onstar, and less of a warranty then GM offers, but like I said Im biased.....OH AND NO LOCKING REAR DIFF, if your using it for off road, hence the off road package, wouldnt you want a locking rear diff....

dirka dave
06-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Can't go wrong with a Toyota dude...

giggityjeep
06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Can't go wrong with a Toyota dude...

Like I said research it.....just cause its a yota dont make it better....

here is the box shaking problem.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/25/video-fords-silver-creek-truck-torture-test-track/

Its not boxed frame its a C channel, and the rear receiver is actually used to reinforce the frame...you cant even take the hitch off, its part of the frame...

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/114570-sign-petition-2007-tundra-tailgate-failure/

This is a link to the petition signed by numerous owners over hte tailgate failure...

with a 4.30, and a big 5.7 the milage must be atrosious.....no locking rear, worse watanty then GM or Dodge and Ford.

The rollover rating and safety rating is worse then GM and Ford....

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436014

A link to the camshaft failures....

I could go on but Im at work and dont have all day to post problems with this truck.

giggityjeep
06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
since we are on the toyota topic, here is something some of you yota owners may find useful...

apparently Yota, has had some frame ROT issues on 95-2000 Tacomas and are buying them back at 150% of book value....they claim it is becaue of high salt and corrosive content on the roads, I dont know GM and Ford and Dodge dont have this frame rotting problem...

anyhow...

http://blog.lexus.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html#more

GOOO YOTA

Toyata said this....

This is worth underscoring: This is not a recall. Rather, it’s an example of our commitment to the durability of our products and to our owners. These are older trucks and rust is a fact of life, especially where road salt is used, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is that we take care of our owners. We just thought you should know that``

call it what you want, it is not an old truck being a 95-2000 and should NOT have this problem, I dont care if it spent the last 5 years in salt water...

lizard
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Toyata said this....

This is worth underscoring: This is not a recall. Rather, it’s an example of our commitment to the durability of our products and to our owners. These are older trucks and rust is a fact of life, especially where road salt is used, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is that we take care of our owners. We just thought you should know that``
thats the difference between toy & GM , gm tells u to F off ..... should I link you too the gm 350 motor problem from all the trucks & suv's that there doing nothing about .

"""Its not boxed frame its a C channel, and the rear receiver is actually used to reinforce the frame...you cant even take the hitch off, its part of the frame..""""
thats complete BULLSHIT its part of the bumber and unbolts

the tundras arn't 1ton trucks so dont compare them to one

Real world not hear say= a buddy used a duramax for work/hauling lease was up bought a tundra , tundra gets better mileage

factor
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
had a new Chevy i wouldn't buy another new one

lizard
06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
yup me too , nothing but problems & recalls , couldnt fix the problems we had , then after the "great" warranty was out it needed 2 new cats

giggityjeep
06-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Toyata said this....

thats the difference between toy & GM , gm tells u to F off ..... should I link you too the gm 350 motor problem from all the trucks & suv's that there doing nothing about .

"""Its not boxed frame its a C channel, and the rear receiver is actually used to reinforce the frame...you cant even take the hitch off, its part of the frame..""""

the tundras arn't 1ton trucks so dont compare them to one

Real world not hear say= a buddy used a duramax for work/hauling lease was up bought a tundra , tundra gets better mileage

GM dont have a frame rot problem and never did, these are half ton tundras not 1 tons, Im not comparing to 1 tons...whatever I really could care less what you buy, but for the money, and the Tundra is more, it has

LEss warranty
WORSE gas milage, check the facts...it is worse.
no locking diff
no onstar....and everything that goes with it.
no stabilitrak, at least non to speak of
less in the safety rating
less in the roll over rating
C channel frame
payload of 1300 lbs, a canopy and its overweight almost..
weighs almost 1000 lbs more the a GM, hence the 13 inch brakes, GM still stops in shorter distance.
a 4.30 rear gear ratio...tha must SCREAM at 110 kph.......I can imagine the milage.

this is just a few, If Im paying the same money for the trucks I would want the better one, with a the better warranty..but thats just me.

giggityjeep
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM

It should its a half ton, that amazingly enough weighs almost the same as GMs 1 ton, hmmmm.....either way it should get better milage, a Chev 1/2 gets over 27 mpg, better then a Dmax as well....your statement dont really make sense, YOUR comparing a 1 ton with a half. not me

Lego Racer
06-06-2008, 05:07 PM
For the people who know about truck frames they are the same frame as the GMT800 series. which is the classic GM frame system. the only part is that the hitch is used as a rear cross member so they would gain more payload. Like giggity said they weigh almost the same as the GM 1 ton truck!!!

Is it really taking care of a customer when you take their truck away??? WTF....

lizard
06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I wish chev would have taken mine away !!

and my brothers tahoe and his yukon

I was dumb enough to just buy one

slacker
06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
It should its a half ton, that amazingly enough weighs almost the same as GMs 1 ton, hmmmm.....either way it should get better milage, a Chev 1/2 gets over 27 mpg, better then a Dmax as well....your statement dont really make sense, YOUR comparing a 1 ton with a half. not me

dont matter here nor there ... seems the Chev gas guzzlers are soon to be disscontinued . Truck plant being closed in Ontario . here in BC "big" vehicles arnt worth the space they waste , check out the auctions .

I'm sure toyota is soon to follow , and will soon discontinue the tundra , and continue with the smaller hilux .. seems GAS prices have us all concerned ..

your better off to stay with a smaller Truck .. maybe a 84-88 with a fiberglass bed :) ....

lizard
06-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I think 3 plants in the US too

I dont know why they always put V6 in the smaller trucks and not a V4 (4x4)option

Lego Racer
06-07-2008, 12:20 AM
They don't put a 6 in the small (mid) truck... it is a 5....... You sure know a lot eh.... who the hell makes a V4????

They are all gas guzzlers... the tundra is (5.7) 13 city 17 hwy.... gm is (5.3) 14city and 18mpg hwy.

Tundra (4.7L) 13 city 16 hwy GM (4.8L) 14 city and 18 hwy..........

That is the new US ratings............ Even worse for the good old Canadian rating system....

Oh and that rear part of the frame is SOOOO strong look for your self.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0 that is Ford test track... I'm not a Ford boy but come on... get the facts man.... I would even take a Ford over a Toyota Tundra.

Here read up... I'm given free education now! Don't worry you will not have to pay me.....

http://cars.ign.com/articles/498/498168p1.html

It is funny that the good old Push rod engine still kicks the shit out of it.... hmmmmm remember who won War...... right.... Don't answer... you don't need to because that is a rhetorical question...

If you compare the Toyota 5.7L to the GM 6.0L then ok they might have something there but since there are 3 engineers from Toyota up in Grand Prairie trying to figure out why they aren't holding up.... oh right that brings us back to the that rear cross member that Giggity said about the towing hitch that Toyota "DOESN'T" need. It is still twisting...... WTF... If I just paid 40K + for a truck and the fucking frame twists in the first year of running it I would sure hope they do something about it........ Right they would be taking care of me.... sure Toyota take my truck back. I don’t have to worry about the rust because the body lines don’t line up and I can figure out why this is dog tracking now…..?

Toyota WILL fix these problems. No doubt about it!! And that would be good on them. I'm even a Toyota fan…..

Back to the original post is it worth it??? I would say no…. Lease something that works now!! And wait for these bugs to be straightened out. Toyota will fix these bugs but give them a chance. Just wait….. My 2 pennies…

HEAVY METAL
06-07-2008, 12:57 AM
ive driven alot of thje tundra's...and own the new style f150....now way would i rtrade the f150 in for a tundra ..no way.

giggityjeep
06-07-2008, 06:07 AM

If it is part of the bumper how can it tow 10000lbs..? it it usedas a rear crossmember, take a look at one, they wrap around theframe and bolt almost all the way to rear axle, every Tundra comes with it standard cause it HAS to. they are not doing you favors on this one.

each to their own, and everyone has an opinion, but it is NOT a better truck...far from it...will they fix it? prolly not now, go back to small trucks and cars like everyone else. :dontknow:

Im not yota bashing thye make some great vehicles, just in this cae the guy asked what to look for, a new truck is around 50G if hes looking something nice, for 50 grand I would want something that on a dirt roadwont break my back window.....or if I put my quad in it Im not overweight, and my tailgate wont collapse, breaking my legs as the quad falls on me.....or something if I get lost I can push a button and get home....or if I get stuck in 2wd...oh wait that wont happen in a GM, hence the LOCKING diff, I mean EVERYONE in here HAS to understand the LOCKING diff part, are they not better???....

your 50 Grand, do with it what you will. If you diceid on a GM give mea PM, got some nice ones

OR

Check out Nissan..the Titan is a nice truck as well...pulls 9000lbs out of teh box, has a rear locker....I dont care for the looks but everyone has personal preference in this area...seen one lifted up the other day looked kinda cool actually. and the Box wont break the window when you hit bumps in theroad.....cause the roads in BCa are so smooth

AJsToy
06-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Well, I own a Ford F250, new Dodge Dakota, Chev half ton, Chev S10 Tahoe, 90 4runner...so we kinda have all the brands....
I figure it all depends on what you want to do....our heavier trucks are great for bogging...more power, and way strnger to take the punishment....but then the smaller trucks incl; the 4runner, are much better applied at trails & rock climbing...
Either way, I wouldn't spend $40000 on a brand new truck & trash it by 4x4in....buy something that you don't mind breaking...somethng that isn't a daily driver....
By the by...I hear Toyota has it in their contract that if you take their trucks off road, the warranty is totally void...one of the members on here found out the hard way...

just my .02

Metal Mulisha
06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I heard the Tundras have some issues, same as the Jeep guy pointed out. Maybe look at the Tacoma. Big V6 (Finally) & of course very very very reliable. Just look at mine.[36]

Trooper
06-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I use the 5.7 liter 2wd tundra for picking up parts for work. We replaced a 04 4x4 f150. The tundra has more snot and get 15l/per 100k in the city. But richmond is pretty flat. No problems with it but it only has 10k on it. Allot smother then the f150 seems a bit more solid too. I hauled a 9000lb granet inspection blade from seattle to here no problems at all. other then the 24L/ 100k. worst milage I have ever had in a non modified engine.
The chev 1500 with the 6l are good engines pretty much bomb proof but what engines arent these days..

yoda thrills
06-07-2008, 01:05 PM
they haul ass

Beachwheeler
06-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I use the 5.7 liter 2wd tundra for picking up parts for work. We replaced a 04 4x4 f150. The tundra has more snot and get 15l/per 100k in the city. But richmond is pretty flat. No problems with it but it only has 10k on it. Allot smother then the f150 seems a bit more solid too. I hauled a 9000lb granet inspection blade from seattle to here no problems at all. other then the 24L/ 100k. worst milage I have ever had in a non modified engine.
The chev 1500 with the 6l are good engines pretty much bomb proof but what engines arent these days..

Thanks Trooper, this is the kind of info I was looking for, some one who has actually driven both trucks more than once.......

I drove a Double cab LTD a couple of days ago and it had a ton of power and 1100 rpm on the highway equals better gas milage.

Pegleg
06-07-2008, 01:37 PM
my buddy has an 08 tundra,6 inch lift 35 truxes and it goes fukin good,rides great,box seem to be on there gooder,i dont notice it floppin around.......yes a bit hard on fuel,as he is hammered down all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!if you can afford one im sure fuel consumption doesnt matter!!!!!!lol

giggityjeep
06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I heard the Tundras have some issues, same as the Jeep guy pointed out. Maybe look at the Tacoma. Big V6 (Finally) & of course very very very reliable. Just look at mine.[36]

Ya if hauling is not a huge deal for ya, the Tacoma is a nice truck....far superior to most any smaller truck out there.....altho its not really small per say, its pretty big.

giggityjeep
06-07-2008, 02:33 PM

OMG 24L/110km......on the highway.....:vroam: :confused: :confused: WOW......that IS some awsome milage....that is almost hard to beleive really..Even a Denali or Escalade with a huge 6.2 can better that by far. And you want something to haul ass, go get a Sierra Denali with a 6.2.

Trooper
06-07-2008, 06:18 PM
OMG 24L/110km......on the highway.....:vroam: :confused: :confused: WOW......that IS some awsome milage....that is almost hard to beleive really..Even a Denali or Escalade with a huge 6.2 can better that by far. And you want something to haul ass, go get a Sierra Denali with a 6.2.

Read the whole post you quoted. It was towing a 9000pound solid granite inpection plate. If you want good milage towing then get a diesel. Every one knows the new diesels are faster then just about every stock gas pot truck,

giggityjeep
06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
I dont care what your pulling that is Brutal....especially for a 2WD....that is like 9 MPG on the HIGHWAY.....WOW, is all I can say. I could see it going to like 14 or 16 from its nationally POSTED highway milage of 24 according to Energuide.......BUT 9....ahhh to funny really.

I have a customer who has a 08 Denali with a slightly modified 6.2....pulls a Tri axle trailor, with 12 motorcycles...They run a motorcycle driving school....and his car trailor, and he gets around 15 while pulling and about 21 not pulling, HIGHWAY.....so 9-10 is VERY bad. the 6.2 are rated for around 23 on highway.

Thats the brutality, people blow it off cause he was pulling a 9000lb trailor, kinda like the tailgate thing, people say well you should not rest your quad on the tialgate anyhow, THAT is not the point, the point IS...IT IS NOT a superior truck, far from it....

someday maybe, but till then spend you 50G somewhere else.....hell even dodge has a better truck. At least it has a payload of more the 1300 lbs, like WTF is that 1300 lb payload. put a camper on and you cant put nothing else in it anyhow. Time you add the family and groceries, your overweight.

stylus
06-13-2008, 08:17 PM
i'd personally get a tacoma, i love this look of em, but the tundras are cool too, little big for me.

if your buying a pick-up that isnt diesel, i would definitly get a toyota, reliability, comfort, style, and they treat you like a real person, try the open-road in port moody, my buddies dad just bought an FJ from there with great satisfaction.

if ya want a diesel=dodge CTD obviously.

chevys are nice, but have a lot of lemon problems, not as bad as a ford though:confused:

Beachwheeler
07-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Have a look at my first post as I've added a couple pics of new truck.[36] [36] [36]

Beachwheeler
07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
chevys are nice, but have a lot of lemon problems, not as bad as a ford though:confused:[/QUOTE]

Never been a Chevy guy never will be.... Don't agree with you on the Ford stuff either!

stylus
07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
chevys are nice, but have a lot of lemon problems, not as bad as a ford though:confused:

everyone has their own opinion.

nice truck[36]

cruizer
07-07-2008, 05:01 PM
great truck..one great thing is toyota stand behind there trucks though there have been a few problems... but they fix them all and will always even years after the 3 and 60km if its a defect....on a side note try taking a chevy in with piston slap and they just tell you its normal:D

AbF250
07-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I can add to this!! I own an 07 Tundra 4x4 TRD. Ive had it for close to a year, Im at 32,000 kms now. ZERO problems with it. No tailgate issues, no tranny issues, gets 15 mpg in the city and around 20 on the highway. Can do 180 km/h easily. Ive loaded up my 600 lb quad on that tailgate lots... hasen't hurt it at all. Bed bounce??? My buddies 04 Ford bounces way more than the Toyota. I have not had one STOCK truck beat me yet....and Ive raced a few 6.0L Chevs.
With the 4.30 gears and 6 speed, It takes off quickly from the line, but at 130km/h, it only revs at around 2100 rpm.
Hands down, this is the best truck Ive ever owned.
Oh yeah, the warranty is 5 years/ 100,000km

AbF250
07-20-2008, 04:46 PM
GM dont have a frame rot problem and never did, these are half ton tundras not 1 tons, Im not comparing to 1 tons...whatever I really could care less what you buy, but for the money, and the Tundra is more, it has

LEss warranty--5 years/100,00kms. Gm didnt offer that until...what...07? Weird..first year of the 2nd gen Tundra.
WORSE gas milage, check the facts...it is worse.-give me a break..you can only compare the 6.0L to the Toy 5.7 and dont try to tell me that that gas hog gets 27 mpg
no locking diff- OK, you got me on that one.
no onstar....and everything that goes with it.--who cares, Toy has NAV, and GM charges a monthly charge after a year...it should be free
no stabilitrak, at least non to speak of--ya, Its called Vehicle Stability Control on Toys...not stabilitrak
less in the safety rating- dont know
less in the roll over rating-dont know
C channel frame- so what you are saying, is that GM has been crap until now?
payload of 1300 lbs, a canopy and its overweight almost..- ok, not sure on that one..
weighs almost 1000 lbs more the a GM, hence the 13 inch brakes, GM still stops in shorter distance.- mine weighs 5500 lbs, and it stop pretty good.
a 4.30 rear gear ratio...tha must SCREAM at 110 kph.......I can imagine... My 5.7 revs at 1900 at 110 km.... wow, that is screaming..especially for a 4 cammer!![wako]

this is just a few, If Im paying the same money for the trucks I would want the better one, with a the better warranty..but thats just me.-- thats just your opinion

I was going to buy a Ford but is was 43,000...looked at the Yota..it has double the power and it was 38,000. Wont even look at GM, Ive owned 5 and they ALL blew the trannys and the bodys ROTTED out.

AbF250
07-20-2008, 04:56 PM