PDA

View Full Version : need yj help

ToyJeep
05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I was just given an 88 yj this past weekend and im not all that familar with jeeps so i have a few questions.

1 what would be better for a lift pring under- spring over and whats the diff , better or worse and the money thaat goes with the 2

what is a good lift for a yj

And what are some things to look for when fixing up a jeep ie what goes wrong most what break easy what i should replace right away

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tunabomber
05-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I was just given an 88 yj this past weekend and im not all that familar with jeeps so i have a few questions.

1 what would be better for a lift pring under- spring over and whats the diff , better or worse and the money thaat goes with the 2

what is a good lift for a yj

And what are some things to look for when fixing up a jeep ie what goes wrong most what break easy what i should replace right away

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ahhh yes grasshopper

the awncer is simple

spring under good [36]
spring over bad [16]

rubicon 4.5 extreem good [36]
rough country bad [16]

8.8 and danna 44 good [36]
dana 35 bad [16]
dana 30 :confused0006: is ok sorta

giggityjeep
05-29-2008, 12:06 PM
your 89 should be a 4.2, first thing would be to swap out the carter carb if it still has it...or did the PO change it for you..and swap out the vacuum 4x4 setup for a posi lok kit....ditch the sway bar in the front..or go disconnects.

Also search nutter bypass...the 4.2 are a good engine but finicky with the crap carter..

As for SOA or SUA, SOA is gonna give you proly about 6" before you add any kind of lift spring, for a DD I would not do a SOA, if its mosly wheeling go nuts.....its not as simple as most people say it is tho.....consider, a SYE for the rear Dshaft, an antiwrap bar, weld perches, longer brake lines, and inherent of SOA is bigger tires in which case the turdy5 in the back wont handle much over a 33...not to mention the dana 30 in the front is not overly strong either....

A good spring, Old man Emu, love em, flex awsome, and nice ride..

In the end its up to you and what your doing with it...I have been putting off a SOA till I get me a new rear, like an 8.8 form an exploder, then I can go bigger tires without worries, just have to address the dana 30....

Tunabomber
05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
spring over sounds cheap and does flex a little better but in the long run it will cost you alot

spring over you can expect to
need the kit
longer drive shafts
anti wrap bad or 3rd link
sye kit prolly cv shaft
high steer

and a hole other mess of stuff

rubicon spring under comes almost complete
and rides great and will clear 33'' with now body lift alomost 35s even

talk to b

ToyJeep
05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
thanks for all the input. As i really dont know all that much about jeeps ive been wheeling a yota for yrs but love the feel of driving a jeep turns better more fun and love the small wheel base. Now where would be the best place to find cheap new axles and by changing to a ford rearend what else do i have to change to make it all work. And the jeep will never be a DD so it purely an off roader

Kinslayer
05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
thanks for all the input. As i really dont know all that much about jeeps ive been wheeling a yota for yrs but love the feel of driving a jeep turns better more fun and love the small wheel base. Now where would be the best place to find cheap new axles and by changing to a ford rearend what else do i have to change to make it all work. And the jeep will never be a DD so it purely an off roader

I gots no problems with springovers... I don't see why you would need longer driveshafts over a spring UNDER lift, unless it's not as much of a lift...you are accomplishing the same thing either way, moving the axle away from the body.

There isn't much of a cheap upgrade for the d30 front, but the rear you can go with a Chrysler 8.25 from a newer XJ or a Ford 8.8 from an exploder (with some mods)

upgrade for the d30 would be a NEW d44 from a rubicon or something or an OLD bronco front d44 (1970s) ('Early Bronco')

F150HULK
05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
ahhh yes grasshopper

the awncer is simple

spring under good [36]
spring over bad [16]

rubicon 4.5 extreem good [36]
rough country bad [16]

8.8 and danna 44 good and 9"[36]
dana 35 bad [16]
dana 30 :confused0006: is ok sorta

a72cj
05-30-2008, 09:37 AM
88s came with the lovely peugot tranny behind the 4.2. It is not up to any hard use.

giggityjeep
05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
88s came with the lovely peugot tranny behind the 4.2. It is not up to any hard use.

oh ya......that to, I got a 90, so I got hte AX15 bit hardier, but your old puegot, wont put up to much abuse.... :confused0006: