PDA

View Full Version : SAS SWAP

rmiller026
05-28-2008, 01:23 PM
whuts it gunna take to do a sas swap on my 93 half size jimmy how much who can do it and does any one got a axel that will mach the mini 10 bolt in the rear?

redman
05-28-2008, 01:36 PM
how come you only have half a jimmy?

B
05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
dana 30 out of a yj on leafs is a common swap on those

78bronco
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
or buy real axles and get them narrowed

rmiller026
05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
i was kinda thinkin 44s or 60s and leave em wide but how will that work with my drive shafts

Burlinator
05-28-2008, 07:49 PM
you will have to change your driveshafts when you put a big block in it[36]

Cadillacburb
05-28-2008, 08:09 PM
grab some torches buy some steel and buzz it up peice of cake.

rmiller026
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
if i could weld.......... good i would

rmiller026
05-29-2008, 03:30 PM
i was looking in the PA flyer and hey have them bolt on axel hanger kits and leafs could i not just bolt them onto the frame and mount my axel to that ? and would a set of their leafs work?? and does any one have a complete dana 30 front for cheep?

rmiller026
05-29-2008, 03:31 PM
how come you only have half a jimmy?

couldnt affort the other half[36]

B
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
i was looking in the PA flyer and hey have them bolt on axel hanger kits and leafs could i not just bolt them onto the frame and mount my axel to that ? and would a set of their leafs work?? and does any one have a complete dana 30 front for cheep?

WHAT GEAR RATIO ? ;)

rmiller026
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
WHAT GEAR RATIO ? ;)

idk i was just thinking about that whut would my stock jimmy be do u think?

Foes
05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
unless things have changed, those axel kits are for trailers, and so are the leafs..

rmiller026
05-30-2008, 09:55 AM
yea i kno there for trailers but could i not use them its only a half size if i got 5000 pound shit and u bolted the axels to the springs would it not work ??

rmiller026
05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
also how far can i crank my tortion bars dow i have a bit but whuts the max???

Foes
05-30-2008, 05:00 PM
do the swap right, or dont do it at all. dont use trailer stuff.

rmiller026
05-30-2008, 07:40 PM
well in that case will some one make me some shackles and ill get some cherokee front leafs?

Magna
06-01-2008, 01:34 AM
First, not flaming you, but judging by your questions.....I'm doubting that you're anywhere near ready to do a SAS. But if you do undertake the project, good luck....and post pics.

Axles:
As mentioned earlier, the 30 is quite common. Not intended for big power, big tires, hard wheeling.
A better choice would be Waggy 44's. Driver's side drop, correct width, and should handle bigger tires/power.

Springs:
If you're thinking about PA trailer springs, you'd be better off leaving your truck stock and enjoying it the way it is.
A common, cheap spring setup (if you're going with leafs) is to pick up two sets at your local auto wrecker. Build on good pack out of two.....two mains, two middles, and one short.

Question about shackles??:
Waaaaaay too much more to do that's going to require a lot of fabbing before shackles. Again, if you're asking someone to build you shackles, you're not ready to do this swap. What're you planning to do about the front spring hanger/cross member? Rear shackle mount? Shackle mount inside of the frame rails or under? Spring over/spring under?
How do you plan to set the castor angle vs pinion angle?
Going to build your own driveshafts?
The tranny crossmember will have to fabbed/modified for the front d-shaft.

The list goes on and on..........you might want to consider some serious research before deciding to jump in.
A good site for your research is S10Extremist.org

Cheers

B
06-01-2008, 01:50 AM
well in that case will some one make me some shackles and ill get some cherokee front leafs?

ive got some mint 6 " cher front leaf's u can have for a case of cold beer :D[cheers]

rmiller026
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
First, not flaming you, but judging by your questions.....I'm doubting that you're anywhere near ready to do a SAS. But if you do undertake the project, good luck....and post pics.

Axles:
As mentioned earlier, the 30 is quite common. Not intended for big power, big tires, hard wheeling.
A better choice would be Waggy 44's. Driver's side drop, correct width, and should handle bigger tires/power.

Springs:
If you're thinking about PA trailer springs, you'd be better off leaving your truck stock and enjoying it the way it is.
A common, cheap spring setup (if you're going with leafs) is to pick up two sets at your local auto wrecker. Build on good pack out of two.....two mains, two middles, and one short.

Question about shackles??:
Waaaaaay too much more to do that's going to require a lot of fabbing before shackles. Again, if you're asking someone to build you shackles, you're not ready to do this swap. What're you planning to do about the front spring hanger/cross member? Rear shackle mount? Shackle mount inside of the frame rails or under? Spring over/spring under?
How do you plan to set the castor angle vs pinion angle?
Going to build your own driveshafts?
The tranny crossmember will have to fabbed/modified for the front d-shaft.

The list goes on and on..........you might want to consider some serious research before deciding to jump in.
A good site for your research is S10Extremist.org

Cheers

thatnks for the advise i kno im not totaly ready for doing a swap but how else to learn this isnt going to be a street driven truck its going to be a trailer truck the reason for the dana 30 is cost factor i have the 10 bolt if some one had a set of 44s or anything fullsize cheep id buy em my plan was small axels with 32s or 33s x 10.5 cooper stt or some boggers its just a tinker toy to learn on truck was basicely free and this is just shit i wanna learn in my opinion 4x4 is the best sport in the books any im just a young punk trying to learn and master

rmiller026
06-01-2008, 06:42 PM
ive got some mint 6 " cher front leaf's u can have for a case of cold beer :D[cheers]

hmmmmmm id like to take you up on that when im out that way

rmiller026
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
the trucks a 4.3 vortec flowmaster exhaust k&n preaty much stock with a gay ass push button t case so whuts a good t case to throw in? its a married one thats in there?

Explorer guy418
06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
dont do the swap, buy a 150 $ body lift, crank the torsion bars and put a set of 33s on it.

rmiller026
06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
fuck that how else do u learn

rmiller026
06-02-2008, 07:57 AM
dont do the swap, buy a 150 $ body lift, crank the torsion bars and put a set of 33s on it.
how does that help me when i just snap appart whats there?

rmiller026
06-10-2008, 08:12 AM
any body kno how far i can crank my tortion bars down

HEAVY METAL
06-10-2008, 08:31 AM
if you crank em down you will lower ur ride...yo

ray
06-10-2008, 01:26 PM
crank em up

ray
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
add just spend 70 bucks on diffrent keys for your torsion bars get 2.5 inchs out of it

put add aleaf in rear for 2inchs

put 32s on it and it will do everything u want if u put a locker in it

why piss around when your not doing huge stuff now point man

and no matter what you do

even if your a punk trying to learn...............

your going to learn from it no matter what...........

so good luck

torsion bar keys with add a leafs and a locker

and if its still not high enof put a 2 inch body lift and trust me body lifts you learn from its not easy unless u got a hoist bud

B
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
hmmmmmm id like to take you up on that when im out that way

cher never came with leaf's in the front but ill still take the beer [wako] ...[15] [15] :party0010: [cheers]

rmiller026
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
if you crank em down you will lower ur ride...yo

yea thats what i ment i have tightened them a bit but how far can i go

rmiller026
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
add just spend 70 bucks on diffrent keys for your torsion bars get 2.5 inchs out of it

put add aleaf in rear for 2inchs

put 32s on it and it will do everything u want if u put a locker in it

why piss around when your not doing huge stuff now point man

and no matter what you do

even if your a punk trying to learn...............

your going to learn from it no matter what...........

so good luck

torsion bar keys with add a leafs and a locker

and if its still not high enof put a 2 inch body lift and trust me body lifts you learn from its not easy unless u got a hoist bud

i thought that but i fucking hate ifs shit you cant flex nuthing besides the frame

rmiller026
06-13-2008, 07:48 AM
does any one kno i have tighted my tortion bars bown a bit but how tight can i make em with out it being over kill

HEAVY METAL
06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
so u want too lower ur truck? take them right out and ride on the bumpstops..

ray
06-13-2008, 11:02 AM
lol its useless heavy hes not understanding

rmiller026
06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
if u tighten the nut clockwhyse it lifts it i allready have done this but whut im saying is how far can i go

factor
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM
about that much

Toyquad
06-15-2008, 11:46 AM
who let another retard in?????????

Happypants
06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
by the sounds of it you shouldnt be atemping this at all, take it to a shop and get someone to do it if your not sure about it or you could hurt yourself or someone if you do end up doing it yourself,

my brother inlaw took his 91 jimmy to carrier springs and they charged him a few hundred bucks, re-arched the springs did a add a leaf to it, and a key lift, and he fit 31`s no problem, along with a ford 8.8 in the back and a detroit, that thing went lots of places no problem,

rmiller026
06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
yea i got a trail master body lift on order and im gunna get the tortion keys and i wanna add 3 leafs in the back remove my shocks and do a spring over i wanna tuck 33"S

poostang
06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
wow my brain hurts

rmiller026
06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
how does ur brain hurt thats simple

Foes
06-23-2008, 07:28 PM
with a spring over and "3 added leaves" in the rear, your trucks going to sit major ass high. my buddy had an s10, cranked the torsion bars, add a leaf in the rear, and a 3 inch body lift on 33's, the thing went everywhere.

rmiller026
06-24-2008, 07:52 AM
the reasoning for 3 leafs is just for strength so when i take my shocks out im not bobbing like a dead head i was looking on ebay and this canuck motorsports there out of surry they have a tortion key reverse shackel kit that will give my 3 in the front and 2 in the rear its like 145 bucks has anyone delt with them or heard anything about them? with the body lift and shackel reverse tortion keys and add a leaf with some trimming u think i could tuck 35 under there or what?

rmiller026
06-24-2008, 08:01 AM
also should i do the coil spacer kit?

HEAVY METAL
06-24-2008, 08:22 AM
are you for real.. runnin with out shocks, asking about coils when ya dont have em??????

Kinslayer
06-24-2008, 08:58 AM
are you for real.. runnin with out shocks, asking about coils when ya dont have em??????

Yeah no shit "I'm going to run super stiff springs so that I don't need shocks"? What's the benefit of no shocks? And, beyond 'not needing shocks' (you still need shocks..) are there any benefits of running stiff ass springs?

If you ran a spring over on stock springs you could relocate your lower shock mounts higher and run your stock ones - then you could do that spacer or keys or whatever the fuck you want to do in the front to jam the biggest set of bald tires you can find on bc4x4..

poostang
06-24-2008, 01:15 PM
do it proper dont cheap out

rmiller026
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
no i mean the coil spacers for the front id only take the rear shocks out so i dont have to relocate the mount this it a bush buggy this bitch aint never gunna see pavement

Kinslayer
06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
no i mean the coil spacers for the front id only take the rear shocks out so i dont have to relocate the mount this it a bush buggy this bitch aint never gunna see pavement

Shocks are very important off road too.. bouncing axles breed broken axleshafts..not to mention the whole lack of contact meaning lack of traction

Oh..and stiff springs don't flex

rmiller026
06-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Shocks are very important off road too.. bouncing axles breed broken axleshafts..not to mention the whole lack of contact meaning lack of traction

Oh..and stiff springs don't flex

so is there a longer shock i can buy so i dont have to re locate the mounts?

HEAVY METAL
06-24-2008, 05:15 PM
fuck yeah... all ya gots to do is measure...

Kinslayer
06-24-2008, 05:17 PM
so is there a longer shock i can buy so i dont have to re locate the mounts?

There most certainly is! What you'll want to do is flex your truck right out (take your shocks out, all four), get out your measuring tape and measure you max distance and your min distance.. then figure out what type of mounting points you have (eye vs pin etc etc) and then go to lordco and tell them what you're looking for.

Edit: You might want to compare your measurements with your stock shocks to get a an idea of how much bigger they are going to be.

rmiller026
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
my neibor is head of performance there perfect

Happypants
06-24-2008, 08:32 PM
HOLY FUCKIN GREENHORN JEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, if you run without shocks, your trucks gonna bounce like a surrey whore on her first customer of the day, get the torsion keys, along with a body lift, you may be able to tuck 33`s, you NEED longer shocks if your going to lift ANY suspension parts on your truck, coil spacers? dem things dont come with coils on it ANYWHERE,

i also wouldnt reccomend you even do the body lift, by the sounds of it you would try glueing the body mounts to the frame,

Kinslayer
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
HOLY FUCKIN GREENHORN JEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, if you run without shocks, your trucks gonna bounce like a surrey whore on her first customer of the day, get the torsion keys, along with a body lift, you may be able to tuck 33`s, you NEED longer shocks if your going to lift ANY suspension parts on your truck, coil spacers? dem things dont come with coils on it ANYWHERE,

i also wouldnt reccomend you even do the body lift, by the sounds of it you would try glueing the body mounts to the frame,

IFS front end, probably has coils or a strut anyway..

HEAVY METAL
06-25-2008, 05:32 PM
IFS front end, probably has coils or a strut anyway..

neither yo.. torsion...stupid jeep boys..

Kinslayer
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
neither yo.. torsion...stupid jeep boys..

weird..sorry, I don't keep up with shitty technology. Go ahead, ask me something about a mac and watch me go :confused: then :mad:

Happypants
06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
jimmys have torsion bars, shocks and cv`s, no coils, no leafs in the front, just a whole lot of stupid ifs shit, and leafs in the rear,

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 07:26 AM

o yea id glue it its fucking 6 boltsand body blocks ive done 2 with buddys b4 and im doing it with my neibor

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 07:28 AM

besides at least it has a gm logo not a jeep logo if it was a jeep i may as well use glue its just gunna fall appart or break anyways

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 07:32 AM
weird..sorry, I don't keep up with shitty technology. Go ahead, ask me something about a mac and watch me go :confused: then :mad:

shitty technology is what it is thats why i wanted to swap it but every one said not to

Kinslayer
06-26-2008, 09:33 AM
shitty technology is what it is thats why i wanted to swap it but every one said not to

Everyone said not to because usually those swaps turn into a 'chop my truck apart and let it rot in the driveway'.. they say to leave it and wheel it for now so you can get some enjoyment out of the truck and decide if it's something you really want to put time and effort in to.

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Everyone said not to because usually those swaps turn into a 'chop my truck apart and let it rot in the driveway'.. they say to leave it and wheel it for now so you can get some enjoyment out of the truck and decide if it's something you really want to put time and effort in to.

yea i understand that but then i ask questions and get persicuted by jeep guys cuz im new to this bsides isnt there a jeep section

Happypants
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
besides at least it has a gm logo not a jeep logo if it was a jeep i may as well use glue its just gunna fall appart or break anyways

bahahahahahahh go fuck yourself jeeps falling apart eh? lol, you dont even know, and besides i do own a chev, auctually there are 3 of them at my house along with my jeep, well when you finish it lemme know, got a little wager for ya,:rolleyes:

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 03:57 PM
bahahahahahahh go fuck yourself jeeps falling apart eh? lol, you dont even know, and besides i do own a chev, auctually there are 3 of them at my house along with my jeep, well when you finish it lemme know, got a little wager for ya,:rolleyes:

well fuck why do u come on here thinking ur all that and im just a peice of shit cuz i dont know lots thats why i ask questions to learn not to get ripped on like fuck would it be better if i was like every other kid stealing fucking cars like fucking come on man does it make u feel good picking on a fucking kid trying to learn

Kinslayer
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh settle down, children.

Zibi
06-26-2008, 04:26 PM
drama

chill man, they're trying to help you out

they're just doing it fibc way. i generally cry myself to sleep after posting

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 04:56 PM
drama

chill man, they're trying to help you out

they're just doing it fibc way. i generally cry myself to sleep after posting

hahahahaha

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh settle down, children.

ya i kno

Happypants
06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
i dont think im all that and a bag of poootatoe chips, BUT the questions your asking are making me think wtf? running without shocks, putting coil spacers in, HELLO!!! lol, grow some thicker skin son, were just razzin ya fibc style, what you expect with questions like that, google, blazer/jimmy sas swap and you will find enough reading for a month on sas swaps and what axles to use, how to set up your leafs, how you have to mount the rear of the leafs on the inside of the frame, you have to change your crossmember cause your front driveshaft is gonna hang lower and hit the crossmember, shackle angles, Pinion angles, bla bla bla

rmiller026
06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
yea but like i said im not axel swaping it now maby later i was asking other questions and i refered to a site on the internet about the coil spacers they said there for my truck then u guys mentioned and i realized i dont have em

chevy69chevelle
06-29-2008, 04:10 PM
drama

Kinslayer
06-30-2008, 10:36 AM
drama

what was the point of that?

rmiller026
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
lol thats just kyle

chevy69chevelle
06-30-2008, 12:17 PM
what was the point of that?

just funny readen some of the posts from rio and fibc, i use to hang out with him as a kid, hez always been the guy wanting to learn but never really had anyone to spend the time with him sort of speak.

ya rio, you are asking some pretty stupid questions and suggesting some things that are just not feasible.

of course your going to get people posting stupid responses to stupid questions, people here will always poke at ya for a laugh, mean nothin by it don't take it personal. as for the sas, I wouldn't recommend doing it like someone else said, keep it stock for a bit, do little mods at a time till you develop the knowledge to do one, research a lot before you start and show up to other people's 'builds' give them a hand on the easy stuff and just watch what they do, ya know. that's how you learn. and bring beer if ya want them to show ya the ropes. look at some of the trucks out there and see how they are done, take a peep underneath.

I didn't know anything when i bough my buggy 10 years ago, but now i think i got a pretty decent truck. not exactly how i want it yet but still not bad. Dean has a wicked truck his is a truck to be jealous of

I would say f*ck the jimmy and built up that stepside

don't rush into something
just saying...

rmiller026
06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
fuck thanks kyle whut do u think of the stepside??? yea the jimmy is going to ba a stave beat up then im gunna haul it back down for scrap probly pull the motor and tranny and give it to bradys brother or if u need a 4.3 vortec kyle let me kno u just gotta pull it

Kinslayer
06-30-2008, 12:45 PM
research a lot before you start and show up to other people's 'builds' give them a hand on the easy stuff and just watch what they do, ya know. that's how you learn. and bring beer if ya want them to show ya the ropes. look at some of the trucks out there and see how they are done, take a peep underneath.

I agree.. gives you an idea of how LONG something can take too..

I think it's a bad idea to buy a fully built rig as your first truck..dual lockers, nice tires..etc etc.. You don't really LEARN how hard a trail really can be for a stock truck...you just walk over everything and not appreciate the upgrades.. THEN when you actually find a challenge you don't know what to do and start breaking parts.

I think everyone should spend a lot of time wheeling open diffed trucks..you gain an appreciation for spotters and finding the right line.. People start to look to you to spot them through the hard shit because you start to see where you need to put your tires to get maximum traction ..or at very least equal traction between the two tires (left/right) to avoid having a 'I wish I was locked' situation.

Tinker
06-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Friend, you must stop now, people are reading your posts and it is making there heads hurt. You are like my 5 yr old, he don't listen either. A bunch of extremely knowledgeable people have told you what to do and yet they are all wrong and you are right? If you want a solid front buy something with one and start learning there. A SAS is major fab work and you better be able to lay some pretty awesome welds so ya don't kill you or somebody else. I am learning too, just finished lifting my YJ and my knuckles did all the learning. I've been wrenching since I was 15 and I'm 33 now and I wouldn't even think about taking on what you want to do. Start smaller and have a well packed wallet.:D

P.S. Yes there is a jeep section but we are allowed everywhere even if you don't like it!

rmiller026
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
i got a ford stepside im gunna cut the roof and fenders off the jimmi stick some big bauld tires under it and giver

chevy69chevelle
06-30-2008, 09:45 PM
i got a ford stepside im gunna cut the roof and fenders off the jimmi stick some big bauld tires under it and giver

bring a friend with a better truck for when u break something

rmiller026
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM
yea ill go with derrick or some one

rmiller026
07-01-2008, 05:34 PM
were guna flat deck it up

Happypants
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
make sure you take it out after your done fuckin with it, and dont burn it k,

TWOZEROFOUR
07-02-2008, 12:38 AM
wow,, that quite the 5 pages of fuck all... pages 2-4 i was hoping it was a joke.. then became worried at page 5

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 07:36 AM
make sure you take it out after your done fuckin with it, and dont burn it k,

fuck no i aint leavin it there or burning it only stupid fucking idiots do that thats why were gunna flat deck it cuz it most likely aint gunna be driveable when were done

Kinslayer
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe you should sell it while it's still decent and buy some decent parts for your other project..instead of half-assing it and then doing the same thing with it.

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
cuz it aint got papers and no one seems to want a 4.3 vortec

Kinslayer
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
You arn't looking hard enough then.. the 4.3 is an awesome motor.

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
yea i kno it is its even the real vortec with the aluminum heads but i only have 100 posts so i cant put it on here

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
id like to get a winch and bumper for it or some tires

Kinslayer
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
yea i kno it is its even the real vortec with the aluminum heads but i only have 100 posts so i cant put it on here

Everyone on here looks on bc4by4 and craigslist. By posting there you arn't missing anyone.

id like to get a winch and bumper for it or some tires

at most you'll sell that motor for 500 bucks.. you might get a winch..OR a bumper but I doubt both.

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
ive put it on bc4x4 and cl and nothing

Kinslayer
07-02-2008, 05:05 PM
for how much?

chevy69chevelle
07-02-2008, 07:55 PM
what year is it? and what did you pay for it? more so what are you looking to get for it?

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
93 real vortec i traded for a shitty old rail buggy with a seized motor idk 500 or so

rmiller026
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
i put it on for 600 obo for motor tranny and t case

chevy69chevelle
07-02-2008, 11:34 PM
:O what kinda buggy, i know a few ppl that prolly woulda traded a papered truck for it. i have parts to make like 4 motors (assuming it's a bug motor)

I woulda stuck with the buggy personally, especially if ur on a budget. so cheap and easy to fix, awesome to learn basics on i love mine and it goes more places then george's 94 jimmy. dean n them saw it(as my main jets clogged up when dean pulled me out *shakes fist*)

and then built up the step side. that what i did. 77blazer for the wheelin trips, buggy to dick around with while my junk is broke or when we take the quads n such out

rmiller026
07-03-2008, 08:14 AM
yea the buggy was pointless to me i had my baja bug theres picts of it on here in the atv buggy section

rmiller026
07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
and yea i kno my fucking bug went every where the quad could go i followed my father inlaw around and he couldnt get me stuck but i maneged to in deroch she was on 2 wheels