PDA

View Full Version : 4cyl TJ

highwaystar
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
My toyotas pretty much beat to hell and unreliable, I need a good daily city driver / weekend warrior and started getting pretty interested in 4cyl TJ's. Seems to be a few in the 8-9 grand range with around 100 000kms

-I know yj 4cyls were lousy for milage, but are TJs better? I dont care about gutlessness.

-Eventually it would get a 4"ish lift and 235 / 85 / 16's (32 x 9) tires. Is the Dana 35 too weak even for these??

-What about the AX5 tranny? is it crap like in the YJ's?

-Is there anything else I should know or look for?

thx!

highwaystar
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
should add, I mostly wheel mild trails and diffs would stay open.

WagoneerXJ
05-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Why that tire size? it's kind of odd, and mainly just used for pickup trucks. Most tires that size are 10 ply too.

B
05-28-2008, 11:39 AM
u will get the same gas milage witha 6 cyl as the 4 cyl in the jeep's and if u want to lift it anyways then u would have to regear the 4 cyl .. look for a 4 l tj with the towing or big wheel package dana 44 rear and 3:73 gears have 35 on the wifes right now with the 3:73's and it's not to bad gearing wise even on the freeway ... her's is a 2002 .... thats what i would do anyways

B ...

Josh_M
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a 4 banger and it gets excellent mileage. You cant generalize and say the 4 banger is better/worse on gas, everyone maintains things differently. I bought my truck off the original owner and it was well maintained and it shows (427KM + anyone ?:D ). Also depends on intake/exhaust and other things. From what I know the 4 cyl IS better on gas. I prefer the 4 cyl... but watch out they ARE gutless. Just making it up some long hills is hard and my trucks only got 30s

edit: Gearing wise, we have a 4cyl YJ on 35s with the stock 4:10s and believe it or not it goes fine. Hasnt been on the highway yet and i bet that will be its downfall, but from a stopping and starting standpoint it feels just like any other jeep. Gets moving easy.

B
05-28-2008, 05:32 PM
I have a 4 banger and it gets excellent mileage. You cant generalize and say the 4 banger is better/worse on gas, everyone maintains things differently. I bought my truck off the original owner and it was well maintained and it shows (427KM + anyone ?:D ). Also depends on intake/exhaust and other things. From what I know the 4 cyl IS better on gas. I prefer the 4 cyl... but watch out they ARE gutless. Just making it up some long hills is hard and my trucks only got 30s

edit: Gearing wise, we have a 4cyl YJ on 35s with the stock 4:10s and believe it or not it goes fine. Hasnt been on the highway yet and i bet that will be its downfall, but from a stopping and starting standpoint it feels just like any other jeep. Gets moving easy.

bullshit ...

who's talking about cherrokes... nobody [22] ... [16]

if u don't know then don't pretend u do ... now go fix ur clutch [cheers]

Josh_M
05-28-2008, 10:06 PM
bullshit ...

who's talking about cherrokes... nobody [22] ... [16]

if u don't know then don't pretend u do ... now go fix ur clutch [cheers]

Its the same engine/tranny aint it.. just sayin from my experience. The piece of shits done now :happy0045:

nightcrawler
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
well i got the samr shit in my xj and its great on gas don t know what the hell ur talkin about[16]

TWOZEROFOUR
05-29-2008, 12:31 AM
it's ok he's the "Guru" :D

B
05-29-2008, 01:34 AM
look at the question i don't see fuck all about how good your cherroke is on gas u fuktards :dontknow::confused0006:[16]:confused0006:...

My toyotas pretty much beat to hell and unreliable, I need a good daily city driver / weekend warrior and started getting pretty interested in 4cyl TJ's. Seems to be a few in the 8-9 grand range with around 100 000kms

-I know yj 4cyls were lousy for milage, but are TJs better? I dont care about gutlessness.

-Eventually it would get a 4"ish lift and 235 / 85 / 16's (32 x 9) tires. Is the Dana 35 too weak even for these??

-What about the AX5 tranny? is it crap like in the YJ's?

then this ;)
-Is there anything else I should know or look for?

thx!

u will get the same gas milage witha 6 cyl as the 4 cyl in the jeep's and if u want to lift it anyways then u would have to regear the 4 cyl .. look for a 4 l tj with the towing or big wheel package dana 44 rear and 3:73 gears have 35 on the wifes right now with the 3:73's and it's not to bad gearing wise even on the freeway ... her's is a 2002 .... thats what i would do anyways

B ...

then my repley ... so the 4cyl might get just slightly better mileage in town but on the highway it won't and it wont pass a horse and buggy going up hill either with 3:73's and 32's it would be very good for all aspects of use hwy intown or out playing w a 4l oh and have better resale as well ...

peep's have the misconception that the 4cyl's will be better on fuel in my experience the slight gain in fuel mileage will be lost by not being able to get out of it's own way and having to drive it harder to keep up ...

that was all i was hoping to get across [cheers]

it's ok he's the "Guru" :D

i don't claim to be anything :Di only know what ive found out from experience ;)

speaking of got any pointer's on lifting a roof back off of a dash pad ?

[cheers]

Kinslayer
05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
[stupid]

Just 'cause it has fewer cyl's doesn't mean it wont burn the same amount of fuel - you'll get more economy with a 4banger in a car than a 4L in a car..but when you put on big tires and lots of weight you have to go with the bigger motor - it will be able to turn those tires and carry that weight easily, not to mention the clutch will last longer too.

Oh, and yeah ,if you throw gears at anything you can turn ANY tire....you can make an RC crawler motor turn 44's with enough reduction... nothing says you will get better milage though!

Josh_M
05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh, and yeah ,if you throw gears at anything you can turn ANY tire....you can make an RC crawler motor turn 44's with enough reduction... nothing says you will get better milage though!

65t lathes problably got more torque than any jeep anyways

highwaystar
05-30-2008, 07:22 PM
thanks. I was hoping a 4cyl would squeek out better than 20 mpg but it wont so im gonna go a gayer route... coughrav4cough

B
05-30-2008, 08:53 PM
i think id go saszuki before rav 4