PDA

View Full Version : Torison bar - Question - 87 Toyota

Taxidermy
05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
Where is the front Torsion bar located?

Do I need a special tool to torque it up?

How far should it go up?

cronic 4x4
05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
They are the long bars that run on the inside of the frame rails they go from the upper control arms to the brackets close to the cross member for the transfercase .You will want to get someone to help you that knows what they are doing.

fresh
05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
it sits on top of the frame. dont crank it to hi cuz the cv joints will wear out faster. have fun

dirka dave
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM
You should be good for 2inches without too much problem.
The ride will get rougher.

It's an easy job.

[cheers]

Clark
05-28-2008, 06:54 PM
i think you have to get a wheel alignment after also

highwaystar
06-01-2008, 01:56 AM
Mine has been at 1 1/4 over stock for probably almost 3 years now, with manual hubs of course. Do get an alignment if you adjust them more than half an inch off stock.

here are instructions on how to do it:
http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=398514

you can go up to 2" but the ride will be very very rough. I didnt notice a difference with around 1", but a friend had 2" and you could feel every pebble on the road. CV boots wear quicker but if you have manual hubs you can turn them to free so the CVs dont spin while on the road so it wont be an issue.

If you are looking for about a 1.5-2" lift, toytec has a good one thats pretty affordable 199$ US and uses ball joint spacers. you can order them seperate and get Alsek to make you some shackles to lift the back instead. This would give a much better ride than cranked torsion bars and is what id reccomend!

http://www.toyteclifts.com/8795pickup4X4cart.html#liftopts

GL [cheers]

Stetson
06-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey Taxi, I know everybody has their opinion, but what ever you do be real careful if your going to adjust them. Alot of times the threads in the sleeve seize, and when you crank the bolt head, it spins a couple of times and SNAP! sound like a gun going off. Not kidding you, but I've probobly had 9 out of the last 10 break. Had one break so explosivly, the thing blew appart and shattered my hand in less than a second, had no idea it hit me until I saw my blood all over the ground...after a trip to the hospital I relized I had broken 4 bones in my wrist too. Im so sketched out on them now that ill put a ratchet on them, and a six foot bar so I can stand a foot or so to the side of the truck while I crank on them. That one that caught me, the head of the bolt ricocheted off the ground i guess, and another employee a bay over grabbed his chin and said what the heck, moved his hand away and had a large gash across his chin. The piece must have shot off like a bullet. so careful careful!! they're one of my lease favorite suspension systems