PDA

View Full Version : Captain Hook Broke My Dodge

crazylike
05-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Anyone wanna setup a ring and pinion in my dana 60's?
Its seams that Captain Hook doesn't know how to Tow a Vehicle. :(
My pinion nut came loose so i called a Tow truck said i'll leave the keys in the truck and since theres no front drive shaft you can just lift the back and tie off the steering wheel. he says ok be there in an hour. 2 hours later he shows up with a flat deck starts dragging the truck on to the flat deck the driveshaft pops off taking the yoke and nut and washer with it now theres nothing keeping the pinnion from moving randomly around so next the seal and the bearing pop out the pinion gets sucked into the pumpkin jamming itself into the spider gears my buddy whos watching this while talking to me on the phone asks the guy if he shouldn't maybe stop dragging the truck and see why its making such a horrible noise the guy says nah its fucked anyways and starts dragging it again then my friend asks shouldn't the driveshaft at least be tied up so it doesn't hook or bind on something he says it don't really matter. my friend says no stop i'm gonna tie it up outta the way and grab the pieces. the tow truck guy is like why bother its fucked anyways. so the guy gets here with my truck i ask him WTF is it doing on a flat deck? i told him to send a tow truck as i can't move the truck. he says for a move this far they always use a flat deck. my truck has been towed 10-15 times and they always put it on dollys, but not this guy he'd rather totally fuck my axel and turn a 25 dollar fix into a 2000 dollar job. anyways i guess the moral of the story is if you break your truck/car make sure your there when they come to get it or it maybe more broke when you do. needless to say i gonna call his boss and see if they will do anything to fix it or if i am gonna have to pay for it and try to sue them for the bill, as i do not think i should have to cover the bill for there fuck up. a 250lb torque wrench a jack a 3/8 wrench and a new pinion seal and some gear oil and i could have drove it home, but figured instead of doing the work on side of road i should get it towed home and fix it there. OOPS guess i shouldn't have done that. :(
Will post carnage pictures tommorrow to dark to get any now.

78bronco
05-22-2008, 03:25 AM
good luck with the tow company ive had damage done bye one down here and they laughed at me and told me to prove it. and shitty deal man

crazylike
05-22-2008, 07:49 AM
i do have an eye witness who was on the phone with me while they where breaking it. but i do know i am gonna need the Good Luck wishing from everyone.

spit.fire.
05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
sounds like a prick driver, hope you get your moneys worth out of it, good luck

FINGERS
05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
[32]............

crazylike
05-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Guess i should have waited for a white driver who could understand english. He doesn't understand the difference between a tow truck and a flat deck.
eitherway my ring and pinion both have nasty chunks out of them the shims are all over the ground. it might even need a new carrier. not the best pics but heres what it looks like now.

crazylike
05-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Anyone know if a Dana 60 from an intersmashable will work in my Dodge? found one for 200 bucks delivered means i'm gonna have to redo the brakes and bearings etc and so on. If it fits... :(

Sonofx51
05-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Oh man.. thats total bs.. i'd be pissed to.. i'll stop by and check it out today. Good luck mang

factor
05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
next time don't let people tow your truck with out you there
good luck get money out of towing companies

epic3
05-22-2008, 08:54 PM
youre only possible saving grace is your witness but you might still be screwed

crazylike
05-22-2008, 11:42 PM
it ends up i have 3 witnesses as my friends mom and girlfriend came out of the house as the guy was hauling the truck onto a flat deck because they could hear this horrible noise and wanted know what was going on. and it ends up i now have to fix there lawn as the guy drug the truck across the boulavard and left 2 big tire marks. I wish i would have just gone home and got my wrenches. :( gotta go see ICBC tommorrow and give them a written statement aswell as drop of letters from my witnesses. then they go get a statement from the tow truck driver they look at the damage and then decide what they think happened and either they decide its mechanical failure or they find it was undo care and attention which cause the extensive damage. when i left the truck i was looking at a 25 dollar maximum fix. 5 buck plus tax for the nut 12.95 for the seal. and i still have some gear oil from when i originaly had the axels rebuilt. now its looking like close to 2000 looks like i'm gonna need a new carrier and gear not just ring and pinion. as the pinion is jammed on a weird downward angle into the spider gears (i think) i will know more after i talk to ICBC and see what they say i do not want to touch it till they have a look and see what happened.
i'll keep ya's updated as to how i make out. :(

Troy
05-23-2008, 12:04 AM
thats a piss off. thats another reason to always be there when your truck is in someone elses hands.

i cant see the damage being over $2000. what gears are in it? 3.55 4.10? you can you new gear sets for $250, carrier you could get used for cheap, or buy a locker while your at it $600 for a detroit, bearing kit, $150, gear setup $ depends on where you go. so you could have that thing rebuilt with a locker for under a 1000 bucks. or swap it out for a used dana 70.

epic3
05-23-2008, 02:15 AM
If ICBC is involved its 2 grand in damage

crazylike
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM
its got 4'10's init it was just rebuilt. but now i think i need a new carrier spider gears ring and pinion i have 2 new sets and a whole nother axel hopefully the carrier will fit but before i do anything i want to see if ICBC will make the tow company fix it or not.the lady at ICBC was saying they might just right the truck off if its gonna cost 2000 to fix. if they do i want to be able to buy it back. as then i will just make it into a Trailer queen. lol

crazylike
05-23-2008, 06:08 PM
heres a few more pics of the carnage/damage that was done. including the damage to my buddies lawn.
ICBC told me i need to take it to a shop have them write a statement explaining what they think could have happened and that what i said is possible.

radman
05-23-2008, 07:16 PM
the first thing that comes to my mind (having worked as a tow opperator) is how clear you where when you where requesting a tow truck, and not a deck truck. and it looks like there isnt mutch room to get a truck behind your truck, that was backed off the road? requiring the driver to lift the front and dollie the rear and not tie the stearing. but thats why MOST tow companys pay thousansd and thousands of $ a year for insurance and garage policies. personally id be wondering why the nut came off in the first place, if the axle was just serviced. but the lawn shouldnt have been trashed like that. hope it works out in your favor. [cheers]

TWOZEROFOUR
05-23-2008, 07:16 PM
shitty deal dude, sorry 2 hear

crazylike
05-23-2008, 08:32 PM
taking truck to westside transmission to have them do an ICBC report as to how this happened. Hopefully they will agree with me cause then ICBC will go after the insurance company to get it paid for. as for the nut coming loose i'm figureing thats because i didn't use a new nut when i replaced the pinion seal as i didn't know the nut is supposed to be changed everytime. the axels where just rebuilt and where only installed back in march. The bottom line is that when i parked the truck on the lawn the driveshaft was still connected and the pinion wasn't jammed into the spider gears. and would have only cost me 25$ and an hour of my time to fix. and that includes buying a NEW NUT... Now someone is gonna get alot bigger repair bill. I'm just hoping its not me, but ya never know when ICBC is involved. :( but here's to hoping...

Styx
05-24-2008, 10:34 PM
How did dragging it across the lawn cause all that dammage???
The pinion looks to have been spinning in the yolk for some time from that one pix??? Don't know man???:confused0006:
Your tires must be all that good to hook up that much on grass... What are they bauld ass BFG's I'm getting me some...lol...[36] Make sure ICBC covers them too flat spotted and all...lol...
I would say a fair amount of the dammage was prolly done before the tow... Yes he should have taken it out of gear as he had the keys, did he not???
That shows inproper actions on the tow truck driver/operators behalf but man thats alot of dammage for such a short distance...:eek:

What noises was it making just before you stopped???

Good luck with ICBC...drama

crazylike
05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
one back tire was one the concrete he towed the truck backwards the pinion cork screwed inwards the driveshaft fell off then he decideed to winch the truck up his flatdeck which started the pinion to cork screw outwards which inturn pushed out the bearing and shims then when he dropped it at my house it had to grid its way off his flatdeck into its parking spot which in turn sucked it into the position it is sitting in now and i figure the reason it locked up so good on the grass and concrete was probably inpart that the rearend is a possy and the fact he didn't take the truck out of park probably didn't help any. if you look at the tires in the picture you can see where the one has concrete burn on it. but the simple fact is (Iasked for a Tow Truck with Dolly's) He said np and showed up with a Flat deck which had dolly's but he choose not to use use them. When i left the truck the driveshaft was connected and only visible damage was the pinion seal and the pinion nut. i was not able to see my ring and pinion at that time now is a diffrent story.

Styx
05-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Don't know man the splines on the pinion are gone... That didn't happen in a 20' tow...
I've seen alot of vehicles being towed alot further in park and other than flat spotted tires there was no dammage...
I accept that the drive shaft was probably in place but it wouldn't have helped taking it out of gear...
If the driver couldn't safly hook up the tire dollies where it sat then fe was in his right to move it or not tow it at all...
Face it man the pinion was fucked to begin with due to not using a new nut and properly crushing the crush sleave...
If you put it in your self then buck up and fix it if another shop was supose to tighten it up go get you money back...
Time to man up and quit trying to drive our ICBC rates up...

Cheers R...

by how wet it is looks like it was leaking for quit some time...

crazylike
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
splines are still there and are fine. the truck had 40 feet behind it in which he could have backed up to it and hooked up the dolly's it was parked on a boulevard the front of the truck was blocked by a road sign so he couldn't pick it up from the front. but i didn't need the front lifted up only needed the back lifted he could have tied the wheel off or even put it up on dolly's.
Simple fact is he was told not to move the truck not even an inch before the rear end was put on dolly's. and this doesn't bother insurance rates ICBC is only involved as a mediator if the shop it goes to tommorrow finds that the major damage was caused after it was parked then the Tow companies insurance will be made to pay for the repair. ICBC is only there to make sure it gets resolved peacefully and properly.

crazylike
05-26-2008, 10:57 AM
just got back from a shop with the bearing that came out of the pinion. The mechanic said theres nothing wrong with the bearing besides it has some dirt on it. clean it up and put it back in. i didn't tell him what it was from or for just asked if the bearing was anygood anymore.

wisker6
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
when it comes to tow truck you pay for what you get. I've been towing for over 10 years and at one time I worked for hook, that is the reason I left. Nobody wants to show or teach new drivers how to do the job!As for the damage the tow company is resonsable.