PDA

View Full Version : Locker talk

Lego Racer
05-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok Lockers.... putting these diffs under my zuk right now. Who runs what and what do they like and or dislike about them.

I don't care about welded diffs. Only want to know about lockers or spools.

It is a toss up between the two and I will be locking both front and rear. Electric lockers look like something good for the front but are they water tight?? So I don't know how well they actually hold up.

Air lockers seem nice but I hear lots of folk have problems with the lines staying attached.

Lunch box lockers are simple and same with the spool.

This rig might see 1-2 hour of pavment per trip on adverage. Sometimes I do take it to the Chilcotin mtns. Kamloops... even the island but very rarley it will go that far.

brothergrimms
05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
go with a assuie locker in the frt and a detroit locker in the rear you will be happy with that combo :confused0006:

stevem
05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
had a lunchbox locker(lockrite) it worked but broke the diff pin twice.
when it finally went i had to drive in 4x4 on the road cause it just slipped.
will never buy another.

spools are good but just in the rear(IMO)

i have an arb in the rear and love it open on the pavement and locked solid when needed

Murd0c
05-16-2008, 07:51 PM
go with a assuie locker in the frt and a detroit locker in the rear you will be happy with that combo :confused0006:

Yep Loyd hit that right on the nose there. First you have to worry about your axles, Get longs and some arp hub studs before you go with a front locker. cause you will be blowing birfs like no tommrow

Lego Racer
05-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Really think a person needs long fields for a set of yota's under a zuk??? this thing has sooooooo much power I don't know.... 1.3L stock they came with 67hp hahaha. Don't need power... gears do it all... don't they...

I was looking at the assuie locker. Who in BC carries them or can can get them?

Murd0c
05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
all depends what your doing, just make sure your wheel isn't cranked when ya hammer on it with a locked front. I would honestly get the arp hub and knuckle studs just to make sure.

Talk to B about the aussie locker he can hook ya up [cheers]

Lego Racer
05-16-2008, 10:22 PM
You mean Bobbi?

Lego Racer
05-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Ok looking at the detroit EZ locker and the assuie locker. What the heck is the differance? Or does someone on here know?

B
05-17-2008, 12:12 PM
i would go with and electric factory front and a welded rear if u don't care about faster tire wear on the rears if done right can offer the most traction and allways handles the same because it never is on or off it's just their .

also the electric in the front is super dependable if installed correctly and gives u push button control of the front end ...

what tire size are u going to run ? 33's and down no real need for long's u might break one doing something stupid but it would be hard to do 35's 36's wait and see ... locked it the front and driving style will help u solve those q's

B ...

Lego Racer
05-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm running a 34 LTB. Driving style is normal for the wheeling world I would say. I'm use to the Zuk diffs under and them being open I did break a few.

I don't really want to weld in the back because everything is new back there. And DOT is sticky as hell up here.

If it is in a wreck up here they will tear everything apart and see if it is done right. I know one of the DOT officers and they just wont put up with half ass shit. Two claims haven't gone through already this year for a couple people because they did open the diffs and saw welds. Thats why i'm looking at the lockers. I will look into electrics though

barracuda
05-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I believe a spool would be out of the question also ? there gotta be someone on here that can clarify? Pumpkin?

Murd0c
05-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Rich has a spool in the front of Sue and hes never had a problem but honestly in the longer run better off getting a full locker

dirka dave
05-19-2008, 07:25 PM
I would recomend a detroit in the rear and a selectable (ARB or E-locker) in the front.

arjan
05-20-2008, 12:06 AM
I personally like the electric lockers.

The actuator has it's own breather. If you take care of that not taking in water they seem to be very reliable.

OldEnuff
05-20-2008, 01:28 AM
I run a full detroit in the back of my Bronco and a lockrite in the front

I do not have big horespower (tired in line six) and I don't mud bog (usually:D )

I do trails and shit

I have broken front axles (u-joints) but never a locker or diff (yet)

I also am only running 36" TSLs but they are more than adequate for what I do (but I will be putting boggers on the back)