PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Tie rod Setup?

cj5sean
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Guys i got a problem any help would be freakin osome. K so i put my kingpin dana 60 in my 78 bronco and im having tie rod issues. I have researched what other guys have been doing but i dont want to run heims for the legality issue. I cant use the stock bronco danna 44 tie rod beacuse it is not long enough . the only solution i cas think of is running a 78 3/4 ton tie rod and using the steering shock hole for my crossover drag link any ideas?:confused: is the 78 dana 44 3/4 ton rod wat i need or the dana 60 rod i have no freeking clue what to do at this point any ideas or clarification would be awsome thanks alot guys[cheers]

m j
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
are you going to go high steer?
lots of options
the stock bronco draglink is only good on stock trucks as it is non adjustable, so any lift or custom stuff and it is unlikely it will be right.
so you need to custom make one of those.
several ways to tackle the tierod,
- you can use the long side of the stock bronco one as it is threaded on the DS for toe in settings, just custom make a longer adjusting sleeve to match the wider D60 using stock tierod ends.
- you can redo all of it using chevy TRE parts. using a 1/2-3/4 ton tre es2233 iirc is long and has provisions for steering stabilizer that you could drill and ream for draglink

Troy
04-30-2008, 02:02 AM
or just call up northwest fab and buy a highsteer kit and dont bother fucking around with it

Apathy
04-30-2008, 02:19 AM
jeep thrills could probably do it as well.

cj5sean
05-02-2008, 10:15 PM
i have horthwest fab arms but cant usem till i get at least 6 inchs lift ive got 4'' lift :( for know and if i were to use my high steer arms the steering crossover link would hit frame crossmember
so Mj i can get a complete chevy drag link setup for a one ton Chevy 4x4, ream the tierod holes in my steering knuckles and then build a draglink to fit .? My gf dad is a machinist so he said he will build wat ever i want i just need to give him the right parts would that chevy tired from the truck i described work? for the drag link should i get just the short side chevy tierod?
thanks alot dudes its awsome having a place to ask my 4x4 questions [36] [cheers] [36]

m j
05-05-2008, 06:20 AM
chevy 1ton stuff does not work.
no one uses it, even if they say they have chevy 1ton stuff they dont.

1/2ton 3/4ton and blazer are the TRE applications most commonly used, somethings with a dodge piece if you dont use the drag link terminating on the tierod ford factory style (called inverted T steering)

1.25"-0.219"wall DOM is about right for threading to 7/8"-18tpi to accept the chev sized ends.

tools needed are left and right 7/8"-18tpi taps, around $200 and a tapered reamer around $100
tubing is over $5 a foot

m j
05-05-2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.partsmike.com/tie_rodid.html
reference for tre

Troy
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM
chevy 1ton stuff does not work.
no one uses it, even if they say they have chevy 1ton stuff they dont.

1/2ton 3/4ton and blazer are the TRE applications most commonly used, somethings with a dodge piece if you dont use the drag link terminating on the tierod ford factory style (called inverted T steering)

1.25"-0.219"wall DOM is about right for threading to 7/8"-18tpi to accept the chev sized ends.

tools needed are left and right 7/8"-18tpi taps, around $200 and a tapered reamer around $100
tubing is over $5 a foot

ya by the time you go out and purchase all those tools, its easier and cheaper to just buy the parts made to your specs by a place like northwestfab or skyindustries

m j
05-06-2008, 06:23 AM
until you bend one, then you will be parked waiting for Kyle to get off his ass and help ya out :)

every 4x4 shop should have those tools
I have them :)

get Kyle to make you high steer arms with the draglink entering from the bottom, he whined making mine.

Apathy
05-06-2008, 07:30 AM
if its made right you wont' have an issue. I have hung my 5klb rig on my tie rod and have been running it for over a year bent... no issues.. its now clearanced

cj5sean
05-08-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks dudes got the issue solved thanks for the refence page thats the shit .
See you all at postil for may long Booo Yaaa