PDA

View Full Version : How do you

Arctic Wolf
04-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey man. Im buyin a 4" lift for my old '89.Now the guy says its a BDS lift but just how do you tell? Ive lookd at it last night and it missin a few things but I figure thats not really a big deal cause what ever its missin I can always get at a 4x4 shop. But my main thing is just how do you tell if it is realy a BDS? I mean I trust the guy but sometimes Im too trusting and have been ripped before. The only way that I thought before I looked at it was If it was blue. But this one aint... Its black and got surface rust on it. Surface rust aint no biggie but once again just how do I tell? I looked at the radius arm brakets and they did say ford so thats a good thing. Any help would be apreciated.:dontknow:

radman
04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
go to their website, look for a part # on the spring

Arctic Wolf
04-27-2008, 02:15 AM
go to their website, look for a part # on the spring
It dosnt come with springs. Just the blocks

jeepingpw
04-27-2008, 09:11 AM
If it's missing parts, don't pay very much for it.
Wait & buy a Rancho with the extended Radious arms.
I bought a used BDS for my '93 Bronco, never again.
The BDS's pivot drop brackets are cheaply made. The bracket for the pass side pivot only has the pivot bolt hole & 2 other bolt holes that don't line up to anything on the frame. So i had to put the bracket on with the pivot bolt & measure my wheel camber, then drill the other bolt holes in the cross member.
I also had problems with mounting the radious arm drop brackets. I measured the distance as stated in the directions, but when everything was installed, the front axle was 1 1/2" too far back so I had to re-drill the holes after.

The Rancho axle pivet brackets have more braces & are made to bolt up into the stock rivet holes in the frame. Alot more work, but way better.
$Wheeler had a good a good artical on the Rancho lift titled "Fiery Red Head"

Hello Kitty
04-27-2008, 01:18 PM
stick a pig under it instead.

barracuda
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Perhaps this might shed some light on the situation

http://www.youtube.com/v/oBZ_rwBzNEE&hl=en

WagoneerXJ
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
BDS isn't that great anyways

Ginger Snaps
04-30-2008, 09:19 PM
wait and buy a complete kit..what is it for?

Hello Kitty
04-30-2008, 09:29 PM
wait and buy a complete kit..what is it for?

so he can drive over the pig roaster.

[15][15][15][15][15]

OldEnuff
05-09-2008, 12:42 AM
If it's missing parts, don't pay very much for it.
Wait & buy a Rancho with the extended Radious arms.
I bought a used BDS for my '93 Bronco, never again.
The BDS's pivot drop brackets are cheaply made. The bracket for the pass side pivot only has the pivot bolt hole & 2 other bolt holes that don't line up to anything on the frame. So i had to put the bracket on with the pivot bolt & measure my wheel camber, then drill the other bolt holes in the cross member.
I also had problems with mounting the radious arm drop brackets. I measured the distance as stated in the directions, but when everything was installed, the front axle was 1 1/2" too far back so I had to re-drill the holes after.

The Rancho axle pivet brackets have more braces & are made to bolt up into the stock rivet holes in the frame. Alot more work, but way better.
$Wheeler had a good a good artical on the Rancho lift titled "Fiery Red Head"

I bought a 4" BDS lift for my '85 Bronco (before I realized that SAS was the way to go) and it was a straight forward install. I did have to drill one hole for the drivers side pivot bracket and a couple for the r/a drop brackets but everything lined up perfectly with existing frame holes.

Now for the bad news.

If you do any kind of serious wheelin' the radius arm drop brackets will start to twist your frame rails.

and you wlll find that you really wanted a 6" suspension lift.

My solid axle swap using a d44 from a 79 bronco actually cost about the same as buying a brand new 4" BDS ttb lift kit.