PDA

View Full Version : Quick shacle flip ?????

C.W.
04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Im going to get the front shackles from a donor truck. Do any of them match the bolt/rivet pattern as the rear ones or do i just grab any set and drill where i need to?
Oh ya its on a 91 F-150.

Tha_Stepside
04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
more than likeley you are going to have to drill, or you can do it the proper way and get a well-made set-up, try sky manufacturing. Best bang for the buck way to lift the rear of your truck

C.W.
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
more than likeley you are going to have to drill, or you can do it the proper way and get a well-made set-up, try sky manufacturing. Best bang for the buck way to lift the rear of your truck
I was looking into that, but its just not in the budget right now. I have a rough country kit with blocks but was hoping to get a little more doing the flip.

fullsizebronco
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
the ones you are getting will be just fine use the top rear bolt hole level it and drill the 3 other holes same thing I'm doing its been done lots of times its on no way *ghetto*

C.W.
04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
the ones you are getting will be just fine use the top rear bolt hole level it and drill the 3 other holes same thing I'm doing its been done lots of times its on no way *ghetto*
Can they bought new around here? Any idea how much? The wrecker wants $35 each just wondering if thats a good price for used.

fullsizebronco
04-25-2008, 11:19 AM
pick a part wants 35$? wow haha throw them over the fence lol and sorry i dont know if you can buy them new any cheeper

C.W.
04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
pick a part wants 35$? wow haha throw them over the fence lol and sorry i dont know if you can buy them new any cheeper
No its a wrecker in Penticton, my cordless drill died and being 45minutes away or longer with hiway construction i figured it would be cheaper. That and they pull them for me lol.

fullsizebronco
04-25-2008, 03:21 PM
well if they pull them for you and its saving you gas/time that may be the way to go then!

C.W.
04-25-2008, 05:56 PM
well if they pull them for you and its saving you gas/time that may be the way to go then!
I bought them. Now to see if i can get the bolts and bushings out of mine.
What size bolts do most people use to bolt them to the frame?

boyzen
04-25-2008, 07:33 PM
7 /16 usually will fit

C.W.
04-25-2008, 07:50 PM
7 /16 usually will fit
Are they strong enough or should i drill them out to 1/2"?
Yes i'll be using grade 8.

boyzen
04-25-2008, 08:14 PM
4 7/16 bolts is plenty strong unless your truck weighs 20,000 lbs

C.W.
04-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Ok.
Do i just leave the bracket attached to the leaf and spin it to bolt it to the new shackle or do i need to swap or flip them around?

FU Toolbag
04-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Ok.
Do i just leave the bracket attached to the leaf and spin it to bolt it to the new shackle or do i need to swap or flip them around?

???

To start with, measure the angle on your pinion, or some flange that will be able to be rechecked after your done. The best method for poping the old rivets out I've found it to dril a 1/4 or 3/8 hole in the middle of the rivet, then use a chisel to bang it off. You basicly put the new bracket in place so the shacle bolt is in pretty much the same location as the original. Then bolt up thew shackle. You then need to cut off the spring perched and relocate them so the pinion angle is returned. You might be able to just use shims, depending on how much angle correction needed.