PDA

View Full Version : biggest tires ?

bcjimy
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I have a 1990 GMC Jimmy K5 with 8" suspension lift and have 16 x 9.5 rims. I would like to know what is the biggest and or widest tire i can run on a 16 x 9.5 rim.

Kingblazer84
04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
38's if you dont wanna rub if you dont mind rubbing 54's hahaha JUST CUT!! haha:P but id like to see you goto a 15x10 or wider wheel cheaper tires/more selection + your tires wont look like balloons!

bcjimy
04-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the advice. However I already have the 16 x 9.5 wheels and just need tires. So you think 38's will fit without cutting or am i going to have to trim? What about width of the tire? I would like a wide tire (like the look).

toyon35s
04-16-2008, 11:37 PM
you isnt going to get the wide tire look,but why would you want to get wide tires to begin with,the skinnyer the tire the better youll carve through mud you might get a wider foot print with a wider tire ut youll also get stuck as fuck with one,in my opinion a 38inch tire that is 11-12.5 wide tire would be great on your rig[cheers]

Happypants
04-18-2008, 02:28 PM
you should change your rims to a 15" rim, tires are cheaper and easier to find iwth that rim size,

ray
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
38 11.5 and what ever rim size you want u can find something

but u should fit em with out any rubbing

most u will have to do it mabey trim front part of fenders like half an inch to be safe but they shouldnt rub at all

Squishy
04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
dont go with a skinny tire they suck ass. run at least a 38x12.5 they will fit your rims fine. im going to bve running a 39.5x15 on an 8" rim i believe

Kinslayer
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Pizza cutters is where it's at man, no getting fucked around by the cops first off - second they are lighter; less rotational mass means less broken axleshafts. Third, Cheaper, Four, deeper tread, five, nicer tire aspect.

But yes, wider tires do look cooler.

Squishy
04-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Pizza cutters is where it's at man, no getting fucked around by the cops first off - second they are lighter; less rotational mass means less broken axleshafts. Third, Cheaper, Four, deeper tread, five, nicer tire aspect.

But yes, wider tires do look cooler.

pizza cutters dig deep and fast, less surface area = less traction. i wheeled for a while(3 years or so) on some 9" wide militarys, and a set of burnt out 36 12.5 sx's walked allover me on basically the same truck. all they would do was dig to china, no fun in the mud, shit on trails.
fucked around by the cops? fender flairs are an easy addition, as long as the rest of the truck isnt too beat
but yeah ill agree with most of the other stuff about being legal and easier on parts, but the performance off road sucked imo

its not like hes putting these tires under a suzuki, its a full size

HEAVY METAL
04-24-2008, 08:32 AM
i ran 38.5 x 16 x 16.5 on that exact rim you have... with the 16.5 you want thw widest tire you can fit on the rim soo it will give maximum pressure too the "bead" and dont go below 13 psi....period.

Kinslayer
04-24-2008, 09:35 AM
pizza cutters dig deep and fast, less surface area = less traction. i wheeled for a while(3 years or so) on some 9" wide militarys, and a set of burnt out 36 12.5 sx's walked allover me on basically the same truck. all they would do was dig to china, no fun in the mud, shit on trails.
fucked around by the cops? fender flairs are an easy addition, as long as the rest of the truck isnt too beat
but yeah ill agree with most of the other stuff about being legal and easier on parts, but the performance off road sucked imo

its not like hes putting these tires under a suzuki, its a full size

Wide is good for mud. It gives some benefits on the trail, such as surface area, and ability to 'reach'.. Skinny can fit in more places, and yes, dig until it finds traction..might not be good for bottomless mud pits for sure.

Perhaps your SX's out performed the militaries because they were pliable and a real offroad tire perhaps? Militaries are for mogs - designed for weight and dangerous (nails, glass, skulls) terrain.

m j
04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
width does not increase surface area, just the shape of the contact patch
wide vs long

bcjimy
04-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I found the tire I want. Swamper 13/38-16LT. Should be good for everything I want. Let the debate begin :)

HEAVY METAL
04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
thats a pretty small tire.... for chevy land

Kinslayer
04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
thats a pretty small tire.... for chevy land

It's a K5..yo.. I wouldn't go any bigger than that on those axles. Besides, your tires are only two inches bigger..which isn't very much when you're in swamperland.

nightcrawler
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
:gives: [stoned]

B
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
It's a K5..yo.. I wouldn't go any bigger than that on those axles. Besides, your tires are only two inches bigger..which isn't very much when you're in swamperland.

those couple inch's make a big difference when ur talking 1 tom pumpkin's hanging down under the truck ask heavy ... 39.5 is the smallest of the big tires and the 38.5 is the biggest of the little tires ... [36] [36]

if it's all half ton running gear still the narrow 38 will help keep part's together ... but with 8 "s of lift the either should fit with some triming ...;) [cheers]

B ...

HEAVY METAL
04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
those couple inch's make a big difference when ur talking 1 tom pumpkin's hanging down under the truck ask heavy ... 39.5 is the smallest of the big tires and the 38.5 is the biggest of the little tires ... [36] [36]

if it's all half ton running gear still the narrow 38 will help keep part's together ... but with 8 "s of lift the either should fit with some triming ...;) [cheers]

B ...

give don a break....36's r huge for him....

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

HEAVY METAL
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM
:gives: [stoned]

[!] nightcrawler

Kinslayer
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
give don a break....36's r huge for him....

[cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

Hey now, I own 38's too...but they are on 3/4 ton gear.. Just wait till I'm running my 32 inch TSLs on my new project and go more places than your 40's, heh heh

What am I saying, my 32 inch TSLs go further than you as it is! [f]

:vroam:

Kinslayer
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey now, I own 38's too...but they are on 3/4 ton gear.. Just wait till I'm running my 32 inch TSLs on my new project and go more places than your 40's, heh heh

So what you're saying is you're used to working with fewer inches?