PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem

crazydude
04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I got a 01 ram with a 360 and I noticed that when driving my heat is fine coming out of the dash but when im stopped it goes cold till I start driving again basicaly once I get the rpms up. Cant seem to figure it out everything seems fine. Would the water pump be wearing out?

Nutbar
04-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Just somethin stupid but that is sometimes related to low coolant level

crazydude
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Just somethin stupid but that is sometimes related to low coolant level

Nope def not that ran it for an hour and no air in the system and it wasnt low

lizard
04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
yah sounds like an airlock , but the heater core may be plugged up too.

some waterpump shafts start spinning = no water movement , that can really screw yah around trying to find the problem

crazydude
04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
yah sounds like an airlock , but the heater core may be plugged up too.

some waterpump shafts start spinning = no water movement , that can really screw yah around trying to find the problem

If the water pump shaft is spinning wouldnt the whole thing just over heat, and if the heater core was plugged the temp woudnt go up or down no matter what the rpm speed I would asume

lizard
04-13-2008, 06:10 PM
when slipping they do move the water at higher rpms ..think about it working like a centrifical clutch

with a partially clogged hcore it needs higher rpm to move enuff water threw it to get any heat ...

just givin you some area's to look into , dont run and start buying stuff

dirka dave
04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
I'd check the blower fan circuit...
what happens if you switch from fresh to re-circ ?

lizard
04-19-2008, 10:02 PM
did yah figure it out?

Is your temp gauge saying normal temp? not that there that reliable .

Styx
05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
T-Stat Put in a hotter one...
They don't move a whole lot of coolant at idle at the best of times but a hotter t-stat will help...
Had one in the shop a while ago doing the exact same thing...[cheers]

crazydude
05-24-2008, 10:12 AM
T-Stat Put in a hotter one...
They don't move a whole lot of coolant at idle at the best of times but a hotter t-stat will help...
Had one in the shop a while ago doing the exact same thing...[cheers]

Never had this problem before why would the t-stat start now I even put a new one in just to see if that could have been the problem. The temp gauge doesnt move at all once it gets to operating temp so I asumming it is clogged heater core cause I have checked every thing else I just dont think it is an easy one to pull out. Unless some one has done it and can tell me how easy it is done many before just not on this truck.

Styx
05-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Pull the two heater hoses off at the engine and run a garden hose through it and see if it flows???
It may clear it out if it's plugged a bit...
T-stats can go like that tho...

crazydude
05-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Pull the two heater hoses off at the engine and run a garden hose through it and see if it flows???
It may clear it out if it's plugged a bit...
T-stats can go like that tho...

I was just going to try that tommorow.