PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 22RE - Hesitation

Taxidermy
04-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Have a 22RE Fuel Injection motor in my 1987 Toyota Pickup. Almost every time we take it out, it runs fine, but then dies sometimes at intersections. Usually we can start again right away. No problem. Sometimes when driving the engine problem light will come on. Very soon after it will hesitate like it has lost gas. But idle seems OK. Most often it just dies at an intersection in traffic. Seems fine in mountains when driving, but not in city driving.

Grandpa and I change the fuel filter. We had the computer reset. We change PCV value. It was terrible shape. Had not been changed for years. Also one hose was off EGV(?) emission control. Not sure that right name. Put back on.

Still did not make a difference. Seems to happen more now it warm. Once drive almost two hours our looking at fishing spots, was fine. Engine warning light start going on and off. Then on way home started hesitating and lost power.

Just want to know where to look as it is hard to drive in city because it dies at corner and people get mad and mad... behind us. Beep! Beep!

slacker
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM
any smell assoiated ?

sounds like a "clog" @ idle

does it have a catalyc converter ?

Taxidermy
04-12-2008, 08:22 PM
any smell assoiated ?

sounds like a "clog" @ idle

does it have a catalyc converter ?

Not smell that we notice. It does have a catalytic converter. Looks like the whole exhaust system not been replaced for awhile. What you say makes lots of sense though.

Are there any sensors for the catalytic converter. Was looking at parts and one mentioned a temperature sensor?

highwaystar
04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
dont know much about motors, but mine was doing the same thing kinda sputtering at idle when warm, and it stopped when I stopped using mohawk gas? I guess it didnt like the 10% ethanol blend?

Maybe 02 sensor? good luck?

Taxidermy
04-12-2008, 09:15 PM
dont know much about motors, but mine was doing the same thing kinda sputtering at idle when warm, and it stopped when I stopped using mohawk gas? I guess it didnt like the 10% ethanol blend?

Maybe 02 sensor? good luck?

Thanks, but we are sure it is not the gas. It does not sputter and sometimes we can drive a long time without a problem. It just is a problem in start and stop traffic.

dirka dave
04-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Here is what you need to do...
Clean out the throttle body....
To do this you need to clean out behind the throttle plate.

The best way is to remove it, the other and faster way is to use carb/air intake cleaner, block open the throttle plate with a screwdriver and clean out behind it with a toothbruch.
Arter you spay and brush the carbon deposits out, leave the throttle plate blocked open for about 5-10 min...
Re-assemble and run the engine for a few minutes.....
Repeat about 3 times...

[cheers]

fishingclown
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
silly question. Has anyone checked the codes of the check engine light. It ussually lights up for a reason?

dirka dave
04-21-2008, 09:45 PM
:confused0006: :confused0006: :confused0006:

Stetson
04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
silly question. Has anyone checked the codes of the check engine light. It ussually lights up for a reason?

Ding ding, check the codes and it will tell you why the computer is not referencing idle, or at least give you a starting point. There is a reason why the computer is telling the engine not to run each time you come to a stop. Grab a Haynes manual at Canadian Tire or one of your local auto parts places if you do not already possess one, it doesn't tell you how to do everything, but it will help you along. [cheers] let us know what it says!

dirka dave
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
There are only 10 codes in that OBDI....

All you do is jump a wire and turn the key on.... count the flashes and then if you dont have a manual, look on the web.

I have a scanner that will tell me the codes (If there are any).
Post up the codes and I'll check them for ya..
[cheers]

Taxidermy
05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. We changed the fuel filter. Put in a new PCV value. Finally we change the 02 Sensor. Then reset the computer by taking off the negative on battery. Toyota is running fine. No problems.

[41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41][41]

dirka dave
05-01-2008, 09:44 PM
glad to hear that !!

robtilbe
05-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Have a 22RE Fuel Injection motor in my 1987 Toyota Pickup. Almost every time we take it out, it runs fine, but then dies sometimes at intersections. Usually we can start again right away. No problem. Sometimes when driving the engine problem light will come on. Very soon after it will hesitate like it has lost gas. But idle seems OK. Most often it just dies at an intersection in traffic. Seems fine in mountains when driving, but not in city driving.

Grandpa and I change the fuel filter. We had the computer reset. We change PCV value. It was terrible shape. Had not been changed for years. Also one hose was off EGV(?) emission control. Not sure that right name. Put back on.

Still did not make a difference. Seems to happen more now it warm. Once drive almost two hours our looking at fishing spots, was fine. Engine warning light start going on and off. Then on way home started hesitating and lost power.

Just want to know where to look as it is hard to drive in city because it dies at corner and people get mad and mad... behind us. Beep! Beep!
I had the same problem when my crank seal was leaking and the oil sprayed up and got the black fuse box covered in oil, and when it was raining or deep water the fuse box seemed to short out for awhile, with the dash lights flashing