PDA

View Full Version : question on early bronco diffs

whazhappenin69
04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
I am researching a SAS swap on my 92 Dakota.

Not sure if I am going to follow through with the idea or not. What I have found out so far is that the diffs from an early Bronco are my best option.... Are these diffs hard to come by and what would be a reasonable price to pay for a set... I have always been into Chev's so this is new territory for me.
Any information and or other choices would be appreciated.

Mike

Always broke
04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
A front high pinion D44 out of an Early bronco is almost impossible to find the rears are a little easier to find but either way it's gonna cost you . I have a rear but somebody stole the front i had .Alot of the earlier ones are low pinion

u2slow
04-09-2008, 10:39 PM
All the Early (77 back) Broncos are low-pinion.

They are out there... most are drum brakes. Easy to convert, but more parts to get and figure out.

IMO, get a full-width axle with the drop and bolt pattern you want, discs, and narrow one side to use a Waggy, Bronco, or Scout shaft.

whazhappenin69
04-09-2008, 11:20 PM
IMO, get a full-width axle with the drop and bolt pattern you want, discs, and narrow one side to use a Waggy, Bronco, or Scout shaft.

Sounds like a good alternative. Where is a good place to have the diff narrowed?

u2slow
04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Got a chopsaw/bandsaw, grinder, torch (for heating), and a welder? You can do it yourself in an afternoon.[cheers]

Cheese eyes
04-10-2008, 12:00 AM
dakota trucks are a mid size truck and full with diffs fit perfect
77,78 ford f150, bronco dana 44 hp and 9 inch fit and arnt to hard find

p.s. sell yours and buy mine :D [cheers]

whazhappenin69
04-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I have a 240amp stick welder and a 110amp mig, grinder, etc.
I would have to wire up the arc welder as I don't think I'll be buying a 220v mig in the near future.
I don't have any torches at the moment, I will be buying soon though.
As for the cut and weld, I have never attempted to weld diff housings. Most of my welding experience is body and frame work. Anything special to know (welding rods, etc).

Who would you recomend to shorten the axle shaft???

Cheese eyes
04-10-2008, 12:17 AM
do your self a faver dont narrow diffs !! it sounds all cool to do but when your out on the trail in the middle of nowhere !! and you break your custom shortend axl ...you could be fuked... keep it simple. you break a stock axl
some one else might have a spair you could borrow, with custom axls your on your own. my 2 cents[cheers]

whazhappenin69
04-10-2008, 12:34 AM
dakota trucks are a mid size truck and full with diffs fit perfect
77,78 ford f150, bronco dana 44 hp and 9 inch fit and arnt to hard find

p.s. sell yours and buy mine :D [cheers]

Thanks for the info.......and I do like yours [36] would love to buy it but.....can't afford it and a house too, unless I win the lottery....lol
Looks like it's time to start saving my pennies for parts.
Did you have to move the spring perches on yours?

Mike
[cheers]

Cheese eyes
04-10-2008, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=whazhappenin69;1255552]Did you have to move the spring perches on yours?

yes cus i have 64 inch chev leafs

u2slow
04-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Who would you recomend to shorten the axle shaft???

You don't. You buy an OE or alloy replacement shaft for a Waggy, Scout, or early Bronco.

do your self a faver dont narrow diffs !! it sounds all cool to do but when your out on the trail in the middle of nowhere !!

You clearly haven't narrowed a front diff housing. It ends up just as strong as original. Grind the weld on the inner C. Heat up the C and hammer it off. Cut the tube down. Heat the C and tap it back on. Weld.

whazhappenin69
04-10-2008, 10:29 AM
All the Early (77 back) Broncos are low-pinion.

They are out there... most are drum brakes. Easy to convert, but more parts to get and figure out.

Guess it would help if I would read posts properly the first time. [16]

Thanks everyone for all the info, it has helped a great deal in making a decision.

Mike[cheers]