PDA

View Full Version : welding advice

A6D9
04-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Looking to start my buggy frame.

Got a 1993 Subaru Loyale 4X4 all ready to be converted.

But need help with welding. Never done it before..and it dosn;t need to look fancy.

Thinkign of just going and gettign soem square tubing. for the frame and buildign myself. don;t need to look fancy. just want it to be safe.

Anybody got any advice for a web site that i can read for liek a "how to" start welding.

Thinking of gettign a cheap MIG welder from crappy tire.
Advice??? anyone :)

Thank you in advance.

jonny6door
04-07-2008, 07:52 AM
take a learn to weld night course at a college or something. or get someone to do it that knows how. you cant just read about it for an hour and go do it. and if you do just try and start, it sure as shit isnt gonna be safe! my advice: if you dont know how to do it, dont. get somone that knows how. especially if the first thing your trying to weld is a car frame. it will just fall apart. literally
________
GROW MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://growingmedicalmarijuana.org)

KINGCRUISER
04-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Buy the mig get a shitload of scrap and start practicing.

A6D9
04-07-2008, 08:52 AM
that was the plan...go MIG and practice but to practice need to start reading and gettign advice. right?

:) it won;t be on anything that will be moving untill I am confident and it has been tested safe.

The buggy will wait an have to be run as is for now..lol

boyzen
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
dont buy a cheap mig either they weld like shit and make sure you use proper material not galvinized fence shit

UU
04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
take a welding course (thats how I learned)
get a good 220V welder (110 don't give you the penatration you want)
get a good welding helmet (the better you see the better the welds)
practice, practice, practice.My 2 cents

A6D9
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
thanx for help guys.
so no to cheap welder...:S
what if I can borrow an arc welder ???

harder???

InteriorZR2
04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
You can get a cheap welder for around $500-$600 at crappy tire and fight with it for the rest of its life. I bought a 220v Hobart Handler 180 here in K-town a couple years ago, If i remember right it was around $860, and this little machine has done everything I needed it to. Comes with gas regulator and can run gas/gasless. For the extra couple hundred dollars you will be much happier.

[cheers]

A6D9
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Wow i was hopping for 1-200$ lol

Looks liek I'm gona be borrowing a welder...no worries we live in farmlend all the local farmers have one and are willign to loan you anything. :)

thanx for the advice. :)

jonny6door
04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
thanx for help guys.
so no to cheap welder...:S
what if I can borrow an arc welder ???

harder???

SMAW (stick, arc, whatever you wanna call it) takes alot more practice and correct technique than mig. plus MIG is easier to see when your welding because there is no slag. and yeah dont cheep out. you get what you pay for with welders. miller and lincoln both make great beginner 220v MIG machines for about $800-$1000. lincoln's is called the sp 180t and millers is called the millermatic 180.
________
Tsx (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_TSX)

kootenaycat
04-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Wow i was hopping for 1-200$ lol

Looks liek I'm gona be borrowing a welder...no worries we live in farmlend all the local farmers have one and are willign to loan you anything. :)

thanx for the advice. :)

Oh, oh. I've seen what famers do to put their equipment back together. :D

I'd stay away from square tubing, not as strong. And if this is your first welding experience, I wouldn't practice on a buggy frame. Just about anyone can weld with a MIG, so it may stick together in the shop, but first time you hit some rough trail stuff, it'll come apart and it may get ugly for you and your passengers. At the very least, have a competent welder come and show you and inspect your welds before driving that thing.

toyon35s
04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
take a welding course (thats how I learned)
get a good 220V welder (110 don't give you the penatration you want)
get a good welding helmet (the better you see the better the welds)
practice, practice, practice.My 2 cents

[stupid] thats kinda what i didbut i took a metal shop class in highschool and remembered the basics,i bought a decca 110 and welded all my toyota frame
and never had a problem,but forsurly practice practice practice[cheers]