PDA

View Full Version : Posi or Open Diff?

88_xj
04-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, I just put in a Dana 44 to replace the original Dana 35 in my 88 xj. When i bought it from Garys Jeep, the guy there said it was a posi. I spun it, and it turned at the same speed in the same direction, so it was a posi. Now, after a little bit of wheeling, I jacked it up today to clean out the brakes, and spun the tires for shits and giggles. It spun the OPPOSITE way at the same speed, like my old Dana 35 did with an open diff. So out of curiousity, I took it out to a gravel road, stopped, then spun the tires. There were two tracks, of equal loss of gravel.

My question is that is the posi still working then, and being stupid?
And why is it doing that then when originally it spun like a posi, while it works like a posi and spins like its open.

Please answer, thanks.

Kinslayer
04-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Could pull the cover and check to see which one it is..clutches could be worn in the posi too I spose.

Lynx
04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
If you have enough power and floor it on gravel sometimes you can spin both tires with an open diff.

Just open it up and have look. I'm sure it needs a fluid change if you bought it from a wrecker haven't done that.

Nutbar
04-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Most of the 44s in the XJ/MJs were posi's but they used a Trac Lock posi unit and they are not the best posi out there the clutches in yours are probably worn out (very A typical) so when you get on it the clutches will torque up and grab but with no load they will spin almost free like an open case.

And just a heads up you can buy new clutches for them they are reasonable but the new ones will be good and tight for about 6 mos maybe a year depending on how hard on it you are.

88_xj
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks alot guys, yes I have changed the fluid, and I believe it is the stock posi, so I will deffinately look into that.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Apathy
04-03-2008, 09:48 AM
did you put your LSD addative in there when you changed the oil? That will make a huge difference

88_xj
04-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll check that out too, thanks!

dirka dave
04-03-2008, 09:57 AM
did you put your LSD addative in there when you changed the oil? That will make a huge difference
It sure does...