PDA

View Full Version : lift blocks

fullsizebronco
03-29-2008, 05:58 PM
i have lift blocks in my truck (its the way i got it) but under the lift block there is a wedge and my axle keeps spinning a bit off them so i was wondering if i just could take it out and just leave the block or would my drive shaft be at to much of an angle i took it all apart once and put it back together but it just slipped back out i think the platform is bent to which is not helping

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/n711975510_2585770_4581.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w193/fullsizebronco/n711975510_2585771_8596.jpg

spit.fire.
03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
im not the best guy to take advise from on this subject but maybe new ubolts, tighten them down, drive for a few days and retighten them?

Kinslayer
03-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Looks like your spring perches are focked, look at the second pic - the top should be flat. Peel everything off and replace those perches.. You might as well correct your angle when you do so you can leave the wedges out.

For future reference you should probably consider tack welding your wedges or something to keep them from moving.

...Also..if you are doing all that work drop the blocks out completely - buy new ubolts (shorter) and do a shackle reversal..(search)

Here's a pic of a booty-fab reversal I found:
http://www.akfabshop.com/alaskaoffroad/images/Tech/Rear_Suspension/76shacklereversal.JPG

Don't necessarily recommend doing it that way, but that's the idea.

girlcrazy_4
03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Leave it and bog as is! [36] [cheers]

fullsizebronco
03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
the u bols are near new and im without a welder uhh so im fucked but thanx for the idea how strong is that it does not look all that strong and will i have to cut the pearch off and where can i get new ones or do i have to make them?

Foes
03-29-2008, 10:19 PM
is there a pin that goes into the perch? if not, there should be, that helps hold it all together, ive got the same setup, factory block and lift block, and ive never had a problem with them twisting like that.

Maelthra
03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I had the same blocks in the back of my bronco, but they were cracked and one broke when I removed it to replace the leaf springs.

I had about 4-5" of lift with a new set of springs, so I removed them totally and the pinion angle was better than before ( I guess the blocks are there for proper pinion angle with zero lift ).

Defiantly fix those spring perches though, if they're rounded it will lead to the pinion separating from the housing under heavy axlewrap.

Kinslayer
03-30-2008, 01:11 AM
I had the same blocks in the back of my bronco, but they were cracked and one broke when I removed it to replace the leaf springs.

I had about 4-5" of lift with a new set of springs, so I removed them totally and the pinion angle was better than before ( I guess the blocks are there for proper pinion angle with zero lift ).

Defiantly fix those spring perches though, if they're rounded it will lead to the pinion separating from the housing under heavy axlewrap.

You might have had aluminum blocks if they cracked like that..

the u bols are near new and im without a welder uhh so im fucked but thanx for the idea how strong is that it does not look all that strong and will i have to cut the pearch off and where can i get new ones or do i have to make them?

Dude I wouldn't even leave the driveway with your axles looking like that. You can buy them. Aftermarket ones are usually way better anyway, longer, stronger. All you need to do is go down to your local fab shop/4x shop and ask them for a pair of spring perches for a 3 inch diameter axle tube (assuming yours is a 3 inch tube..) and have at er.. make fuckin' sure if you are planning on running that block you get an anti-wrap bar.

is there a pin that goes into the perch? if not, there should be, that helps hold it all together, ive got the same setup, factory block and lift block, and ive never had a problem with them twisting like that.

'Factory block'? ALL leaf springs have 'center pins' dude, it's what holds the leaf pack together. The pin drops into a hole in the perch and it keeps it from moving back and forth..however when you throw a four inch lift block on top of a wedge like that...then not have a torque bar/anti wrap bar you are just ASKING for problems.

Leave it and bog as is! [36] [cheers]

I'd be surprised if he got it TO a mud hole looking like that, let alone THROUGH it.

Foes
03-30-2008, 10:37 AM
:fighting0071:

'Factory block'? ALL leaf springs have 'center pins' dude, it's what holds the leaf pack together. The pin drops into a hole in the perch and it keeps it from moving back and forth..however when you throw a four inch lift block on top of a wedge like that...then not have a torque bar/anti wrap bar you are just ASKING for problems.

well thats an obvious one, of course the leafs have center pins, i was talking on the blocks, because is doesnt look like his have a pin going into the perch

Kinslayer
03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
:fighting0071:

well thats an obvious one, of course the leafs have center pins, i was talking on the blocks, because is doesnt look like his have a pin going into the perch

Ok well good..I was wondering.

Maelthra
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
You might have had aluminum blocks if they cracked like that..

Nope, Cast, and cracked right through the center. I have a sneaky suspicion that the truck was jumped a couple times before I owned it though.

Troy
03-30-2008, 04:19 PM
hey how about just remove the shim and tighten u bolts

problem solved, u joint will be fine they are meant to take angles

FU Toolbag
03-30-2008, 06:01 PM
This is what I did for mine.

Another option would be to weld the block and the shim together. Replace the saddles you have now, they're toast. But would recomend the shackle flip by far. I have no idea what ever possesed detroit that this was a good idea, but it does allow us to put in about 4"lift without actually doing much.

fullsizebronco
03-30-2008, 06:10 PM
thats what i was thinking of doing i did not think i would get the same kind of twist if i took that shim out because it would sit more flat but ya the front of my pearchs are both bent down a bit so it may just do the same thing this is by no means a ''road truck'' to begin with but i just dont want it to break while im out on may long and i have a welder so cant do alot of things that i need done to fix this

fullsizebronco
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
oh you put that up while i was adding mine where do you get them from and how much are they ?

FU Toolbag
03-30-2008, 07:58 PM
oh you put that up while i was adding mine where do you get them from and how much are they ?

If your asking where I got the hangers from, they're just front hangers with the same offset. You have to cut off the old ones and bolt in the new ones, but they work awsome and don't cause any red fklags with the little pigglets.

And if your putting on new perches, fill in the holes at the front and back. Anothere quick fix is to weld another plate on top of your new pertch and put a few extra holes in it which will awwow you to move the axle back or forward a bit if needed.

fullsizebronco
03-31-2008, 12:22 AM
alright thanx ill get on the shakle flip as soon as i can and see if i can get the blocks out of there but im still short a welder to be putting new pertches on .... if i get the wedge and block out of there do you think the axle will still spin on me ... not that im trying to ghetto aNy thing just a lack of the welder