PDA

View Full Version : 96 and up Yota's

1tontoy
03-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I am toying with the idea of maybe trying to find a 96 and up Taco to build. I'm not talking about a 3" lift and 32 BFG's. I'm talking about Rockwells and big power.

Other than the rig that 4wheeler done up for the Ultimate Adventure a few years back, I haven't seen any others. Just wondering about measurements on the frame widths, rails, are they even boxed, and whatever else I can find.

Also, it is pretty hard to justify spending $15-20,000 on a rig just to cut it up. Does anyone have a line on one sitting damaged in someones backyard, say with the rear half of the frame twisted up, in white, with a good X-cab? Or am I asking for too much?

arjan
03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
If a 4Runner would fit the bill, then you'd find one much cheaper.
I've seen 3rd gen 4Runners go for 8-10K, the taco can be had in the low 10 also if you look around.
There are a lot of them coming in from the states at the moment.

I personally would like to do up a T100 one day. A flatdecked extended cab would be a nice setup for that.

redman
03-28-2008, 02:37 PM
If a 4Runner would fit the bill, then you'd find one much cheaper.
I've seen 3rd gen 4Runners go for 8-10K, the taco can be had in the low 10 also if you look around.
There are a lot of them coming in from the states at the moment.

I personally would like to do up a T100 one day. A flatdecked extended cab would be a nice setup for that.

only problem with the t100 is the lack of parts, im sure there is a reason why it never took off either.

now doing up a new tundra would be sweet, the 08's look awesome

epic3
03-28-2008, 03:02 PM
if he's lookin to do frame up with rockwells it dont matter what kinda aftermarket support there is for the truck

dirka dave
03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
My old man has a T-100 and I'll probably get that soon... I think that it would be a great platform to build on..Big rear axle,v6 lots of options...Almost the same platform as the Tundra and the FJ cruser and can still bolt on old Toyota stuff..:D

Foes
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
what about this? http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=125561

arjan
03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
only problem with the t100 is the lack of parts, im sure there is a reason why it never took off either.

It basically has the same IFS setup as the older trucks, just the frame is a bit wider.
I couple of years back somebody on Yotatech widened the frame thrusses and used a after market IFS lift for it.

If you're thinking solid axle, it really doesn't matter that much what you start with I guess.

1tontoy
03-28-2008, 08:04 PM
what about this? http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=125561

I sent the feller a message. Hard to say if I'll hear back from him. He hasn't replied to anything for awhile. There was another guy on the offering parts up, and I called him. Might have a deal there, on a cab and frame.

Foes
03-28-2008, 09:03 PM
nice, hopefully you get something, after seeing your older toy, cant wait to see what youd do to this one!

Newfie
03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Been looking at getting a taco as well but it seems they didn't box the frame and can get lots of frame flex and even fail.(http://www.tankota.net/Misc/Bentframe/framebent.htm) If you want the look of the taco I know theres a front clip you can get for the 3rd gens that make them look like a taco.

d0ubledown
03-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Also, it is pretty hard to justify spending $15-20,000 on a rig just to cut it up. Does anyone have a line on one sitting damaged in someones backyard, say with the rear half of the frame twisted up, in white, with a good X-cab? Or am I asking for too much?

if the only thing thats going to be left is the body & (half the) frame, go with an early taco extra cab 2wd with uber high miles from the states. like a 96-97. should be able to fetch one for a few G's. frames arent boxed from the bed back, unlike the 4runners & T100's that are japan made and are boxed end to end.

the taco is somewhat smallish and if you want that small of a size..you might as well get a pre-taco. fully boxed frame..if youre using toy drivetrain, its got plenty of stout aftermarket parts made for the PS front diff drop. doublers, gears, crawler boxes...etc. not so much for the taco generation...

1tontoy
03-31-2008, 11:58 PM
if the only thing thats going to be left is the body & (half the) frame, go with an early taco extra cab 2wd with uber high miles from the states. like a 96-97. should be able to fetch one for a few G's. frames arent boxed from the bed back, unlike the 4runners & T100's that are japan made and are boxed end to end.

the taco is somewhat smallish and if you want that small of a size..you might as well get a pre-taco. fully boxed frame..if youre using toy drivetrain, its got plenty of stout aftermarket parts made for the PS front diff drop. doublers, gears, crawler boxes...etc. not so much for the taco generation...

Basically, I want as new looking rig as possible, without the sticker price. Appearance is everything, and people like to see nice trucks get eaten up in competitions.

I have an 85, already, and as good as it looks, I think a newer, updated rig, with a sleek exo would be stylin. Might garner a few more votes than the old 85, don't you think?

d0ubledown
04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
2wd taco is what you want then. early US ones can go for as little as 4.5G's. not hard to bring across the line.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/626650657.html < not a bad lookin' one but has salvage title. throw him 2 g's and see if he bites. early style front clip with recessed lamps.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/624993765.html < short bed. black toys are cool. later model front clip.

check out ttora.com if you havent already. there are some serious 1 ton swaps done there. nothing with rockwells that i can recall though..