PDA

View Full Version : suspension downward travel

dub
03-28-2008, 02:04 AM
hi i was just wondering if anyone could share some info on how to gain more downward travel on a leaf sprung truck (in the rear)... I'm currently using a 3/4 ton leaf pack with all the factory leaves and overload still intact. I've installed a shakle flip kit and still use the factory (length)shackle, the wheels and tires that i'm using weigh 125 lbs a corner and shock travel isn't the limiting factor... what i wanted clarified was if i started to remove "x" amount of springs from the pack i would start to lose pack height and that is what i don't want to happen BUT in doing so would that help the pack flex (down) more? what about maintaing an appropriate shackle angle but increasing shackle length will that help? the springs are over the axle btw. any input would be greatly appericiated!

Thanks for the help
Winston

Squishy
03-28-2008, 11:45 AM
depending if your shocks are the limiting factor or not, bend the ends of the leaf spring clamps (there should be 2 per leaf) that wrap around the springs(to hold them together) and open them up so they look like a U and the springs should pull apart more then when flexing(more downtravel)

brothergrimms
03-28-2008, 11:53 AM
take the overloads out dont need them anymore with the flip shackle you will gain more down travel and and up travel plus a better ride just put in longer shocks you gain 4ins in the rear just put in 4in leafs in the frt

1tontoy
03-28-2008, 11:55 AM
A flatter leaf pack will get you the gains you desire. Softer springs will help also. As for ride height, do a shackle reversal. I am assuming that this is a fullsized rig, and more than likely a chevy.

Take a look at Offroad Design's site, and look or their shackle reversal kit. It flips the shackle downward, and adds extra height with the bolt on brackets for each side, and lets you use a near flat pack which flex's extremely well, if you adjust it accordingly. And I would suggest a track bar to control axle wrap.

If you got any fab skills, build your own. They are pretty simple to build, but if you are a lousy welder, buy a set from any of the vendors out there.

Kinslayer
03-28-2008, 11:56 AM
depending if your shocks are the limiting factor or not, bend the ends of the leaf spring clamps (there should be 2 per leaf) that wrap around the springs(to hold them together) and open them up so they look like a U and the springs should pull apart more then when flexing(more downtravel)

I agree, the overloads don't do anything to limit downtravel but those pack wrap clamps too - leave the 'U' on but take out the pin on the top (depending on the style of wrap..) then when your axle hangs it's only hanging on your one main leaf.

You can also get some wicked droop from installing revolver shackles, or 'drop links' as some people apparently call them.

Edit: see the image: Those clamps near the end, pull out the horizontal pin on the top
http://www.4x4review.com/products/suspension/OME-DAKAR-Leaf-Springs.jpg

dub
04-07-2008, 01:53 AM
thanks for the input! anyone else? BTW my shocks are excessively long tons of extension and not enough compression in its current setup i'm going to lose the overloads and open the clamps any other suggestions anyone?

Kinslayer
04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
taking your overloads out isn't going to be worth the hassle in my opinion - new ubolts, rebuilding spring packs..for basically no benefit.

dub
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks kinslayer what about revolvers anyone with pros or cons on them?

whazhappenin69
04-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Had to cut the pins on mine as they wouldn't come out....... much better flex.:)
I wouldn't take out the overloads uless you want a nice soft ride. It's nice to have the option open to put on a heavy load when you need to, but thats just my opinion, depends on what your using it for.