PDA

View Full Version : Looking at MJ but don't know Jeeps

hamberger
03-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Looking for a small Farm truck with 4x4

Looked at a 91 Comanche. Good running 4.0

The front Driveshaft is removed. Can't ask the former driver cuz he's in jail.
Truck is now in his moms name. What possible reason would he have to remove it? It was just a commuter with stock tires so I don't think he put a different ratio in the rear.

Theres no hubs or ADD's on these things so I'm assuming the front is always live?? If the front diff is buggered you'd know it, driveshaft or no driveshaft right??

ham

Kinslayer
03-21-2008, 05:52 PM
the front D30's are generally vacuum actuated - he may have pulled the front shaft because it was blown up and didn't want to replace it..

Check out the 4x lever - it will say '2wd/Part time/Lowrange' or it will mention fulltime as well as part time. If it's a fulltime model with NO part time the d30 is non actuated/fulltime locked in. If that were the case the tcase would already be blown up from driving a fulltime case with no front driveshaft, heh.

Regardless, all of these parts are plentiful and cheap to replace. Git that MJ! Spring over in the rear and 200 bucks worth of coils up front and she's up 4 inches..

hamberger
03-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Vacuum actuated. I see. Like the toyota ADD. So the front diff could be blown. That changes everything.

The 4x4 lever says 2Hi -4Hi -N-4Lo .When I looked underneath the linkage from the lever to the t-case was disconnected so I couldn't even test the t-case in low. Maybe I could jack up the front end and try and turn the front diff at the flange.

Me thinks its time to low ball these folks. I hope the D30 is as easy to replace a 3rd as the toyota.

ham

WagoneerXJ
03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
a 1991 D30 wont be vacuum actuated. That crap stopped in 1990 (cept for YJ's till 1995)

Josh_M
03-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Vacuum actuated. I see. Like the toyota ADD. So the front diff could be blown. That changes everything.

The 4x4 lever says 2Hi -4Hi -N-4Lo .When I looked underneath the linkage from the lever to the t-case was disconnected so I couldn't even test the t-case in low. Maybe I could jack up the front end and try and turn the front diff at the flange.

Me thinks its time to low ball these folks. I hope the D30 is as easy to replace a 3rd as the toyota.

ham

D30s are cheap as shit and if you have the space to change it, buy it and spend a bit of time and just replace it. Realistically its not a hard job it just takes time, read the east stave thread those guys did it in the mud ! Commanches are cool trucks, Do the seals leak yet ? Rear main on my xj leaks. 4L's have a 2 piece rear main though so its easy to change, the 2.5ls have the one piece seal

Kinslayer
03-22-2008, 03:10 PM

ham

Wow, you really don't know much about heeps eh? There are no 3rd members - gears/carrier are accessed through the cover on the front. It's easier to change the entire diff than do the gears on these beyotches. Luckily changing the entire diff is probably cheaper in time/money than finding/buying a toy third.

On the same note, you could pull the cover and inspect the gears quite easily..just bring some gear oil to filler back up though, of course.

hamberger
03-23-2008, 09:18 AM
O.K. Learnin' fast here. Your right a whole D30 axle is about $200.
Good idea about just opening the front plate......really hard to get out of the Toy mentality. But I don't want to learn too much otherwise I'll feel obligated to help fix your POS's on the trail all the time.:p

ham

Kinslayer
03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
O.K. Learnin' fast here. Your right a whole D30 axle is about $200.
Good idea about just opening the front plate......really hard to get out of the Toy mentality. But I don't want to learn too much otherwise I'll feel obligated to help fix your POS's on the trail all the time.:p

ham

ZING

200 if you don't look too hard. $50 is not unachievable.

WagoneerXJ
03-23-2008, 12:05 PM
ZING

200 if you don't look too hard. $50 is not unachievable.

Hell I have one for free. 1995 HP D30 out of an xj. Missin the shafts and brakes and hubs, but the rest is there.