PDA

View Full Version : engaging 4x4 manually

girlcrazy_4
03-19-2008, 05:26 PM
1989 f150, manual floor shift 4x, manual hubs

I think the hubs are fucked, or... something in the front. Is there a way I can pull the front hubs off and engage the 4x4 manually? Or... can I weld something in place so it'll engage the front diff? I dont need it to ever come back out of 4x4, I just need it to work.

Ugly
03-19-2008, 07:53 PM
yer gunna needa bigger hammer right dur [redneck]

nonhighwayservice
03-19-2008, 09:01 PM
just phuckin weld everything up!!!

Mrs_Deathtrap
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Well first off what exactly is it doing? Do you have auto hubs or manual? You can uasually tell if a hub is bad, autos will randomly enguage when your cruising around, the truck will shutter and the steering wheel will pull. Manualy will make a buzzing or grinding noise. If it just wont shift into 4hi, check the linkage make sure its not bent. Hows the fluid in the t-case? etc etc

This is Deathtrap not the misses by the way, forgot to log her out.

ManDown
03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
if the front driveshaft is spinning when 4x is enguaged then check the hubs.... if not check the transfer case. if you just want your transfer case to stay in 4wheel then look on the back of the transfer case may have a manual setting that you can just turn into the 4wheel high or 4wheel low or 2 wheel position

girlcrazy_4
03-20-2008, 05:43 PM
the t-case works just fine. The front driveshaft spins... just the front diff is not locking in. I have manual hubs. See my first post. When I pull the hub off, there is a gear... one side falls out, (gets pushed out by this spring) the other side stays in just fine. I dont know how else to explain this other than it obviously isnt working. I KNOW its the diff... NOT the t-case. Like I said, I just need it to work so if someone could explain to me how to manually lock it in place WITHOUT THE HUBS that would be great.

fullsizebronco
03-20-2008, 05:52 PM
yah ! take the ones out of my other truck! they worked great anyway make sure the axles are spinning at the tire side !

girlcrazy_4
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
got it working. I think mabye the springs on the hubs where worn out (not strong enough) but it works now. I pulled it all apart, put the inner springs on the oposite side of the engagement gear on both sides. Rocked the truck, locked them in and went for a drive. The fronts spin in the gravel so [36] Did a few tight turns on the pavement and the tires chirped, no clunks etc so mission accomplished.

kootenaycat
03-21-2008, 12:35 AM
got it working. I think mabye the springs on the hubs where worn out (not strong enough) but it works now. I pulled it all apart, put the inner springs on the oposite side of the engagement gear on both sides. Rocked the truck, locked them in and went for a drive. The fronts spin in the gravel so [36] Did a few tight turns on the pavement and the tires chirped, no clunks etc so mission accomplished.

Spend the $100 on a set of Warns. The stockers are known for sticking and not engaging. Especially if they have never been serviced. If it's working now, just don't disengage the hubs! :D