PDA

View Full Version : Removing a carrier?

Halo
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Is there anything I should know? I need to get the broken bit of axle out. I have the c clip out but now cannot push the broken bit back through into the axel tube.

Dana 35 btw.

any help or hints would be appreciated.

Nutbar
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Bud

how long is the broken piece in the carrier is it short enough to just push it into the carrier enough to slip the carrier out then you can deal with the broken piece when the carrier is out on the ground. Also a little trick I use to get the carrier out of the housing without a housing spreader is to use to reasonable size pry bars, I pry against the diff cover surface of the housing and the ring gear bolts, one near the top of the housing one near the bottom of the housing and pry together that is usually enough to get the carrier to start out of the housing

Halo
03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
hey mikey.

ya the piece was too long to do that so i pushed it into the axeltube. now it's dark...so i'll figure out how to get it out tomorrow. also i assume i'm going to need some sort of special tool to put in a new outer seal and bearing? seing as it puked it out.

also, i dorve on it for a long time so i see that the axel has puched up on the bearing and backing plate putting a nice groovein it all. i haven't taken it all off yet but the tube should be all right, right?

Nutbar
03-05-2008, 07:15 PM
The axle tube should be alright you are gonna want to clean the livin shit out of the whole axle housing and both tubes cause the metal filings are gonna be EVERYWHERE.

You're gonna wanna replace the axle bearing and seal and I would strongly suggest both carrier side bearings (the one on the broken axle side will most likely be toast anyway)

No you don't really need any special tools to do the axle bearings the most exotic thing would be a slide hammer and some kind of internal bearing puller attachment. The carrier bearings are a little more difficult to get off, you usually need a press or a good pressure screw type bearing remover, but you can just tap them back on with a hammer CAREFULLY

BeerBaron666
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I weird trick and old school guy taught me for getting the carrier out was to take a rag put it in between the ring and pinion gears and turn the pinion and it should pop out, my uncle tried it and he said it worked great and was easy I have never tried it but sounds like a neat trick[cheers]

Nutbar
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
:confused0006:

[cheers]

BeerBaron666
03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
It sounded pretty weird to me to but my uncle was having a bitch of a time trying to get the carrier out of his d44 using pry bars and he tried the rag trick and said it worked great:dontknow: I'd like to try it on something one day just to see

Halo
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
:dontknow: I'd like to try it on something one day just to see

You are more than welcome to wander out this way and try it on mine sean. I'm just sayin.

Halo
03-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok Mikey, I'll bite.

Why both carrier side bearings?

B
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
because there full of all the metal filings and won't last long u cheap basterd ... [f] ....

Halo
03-06-2008, 05:47 PM
because there full of all the metal filings and won't last long u cheap basterd ... [f] ....

i'm not cheap....i just don't have any money.:dontknow:

if i did this d35 would be on fire. ya thats right...i would find a way to burn the damn thing.