PDA

View Full Version : Cracked the frame finally! Now to fix it...

godtool
02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
I paid the price for running 39.5" super swampers. The frame has a 2" crack around the outside bottom of the frame at the rear of the steering box. I'm told I can buy a patch\gusset kit for this at the coast or in PG. I've seen them for sale in the magazines from the states too. Can anyone send me in the right direction to buy it? Or send me plans how to make one. I have a 295 Amp AC welder but am told a mig would do a better job. I'm not good at welding above my head either:( . I'll most likely hire a mobile welder to come weld it at my place I guess.:party0010:

Kingblazer84
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
i would take it and get it done at a frame shop someone who knows what they are doing and is licensed.... but you can buy steering box brace kits from most lift companys like superlift and BDS they make them

HEAVY METAL
02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
throw it away.. start with new frame....

brothergrimms
02-25-2008, 12:32 PM
just go get a other frame section go 6in on both sides of the steerin box weld the crack grind it cut the rails of the section you frame bolt it were the box is weld it to the frame dont go buy aftermartket their junk......... this is the strongest way i runnin 44s and 42s have for years [cheers]

godtool
02-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Yah, I'd rather do that brothergrimms! That I can do, I could even fab the brace my self out of 1/4" plate. As for getting a couple pieces of frame sections 6" long, do you or anyone you know have pieces of frame kickin' around?

brothergrimms
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
if you can get horky to pull up my trail fix on the steerin box you will see how easy the fix is by the way i rip my box off the frame at davis lake far end and rememeber put it over your frame to make it stronger[cheers]

brothergrimms
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
yes i do have that piece shot me your address i'll send you the piece

Troy
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
drill holes at the ends of the cracks before you weld them. that stops the crack from getting bigger. and make sure to gouge out any big cracks with a grinder so you can fill them in and get some good penetration or else the weld will just sit on top of the crack and when you grind it down, there is no strength from the weld left.

also, if you make your own plate to weld on, cut the plate so the ends taper <=====> like that. it will help to distribute the load and be less prone to cracking around the new welds compared to just welding it at a right angle.

fuckin chevies....

nightcrawler
02-27-2008, 10:07 AM
drill holes at the ends of the cracks before you weld them. that stops the crack from getting bigger. and make sure to gouge out any big cracks with a grinder so you can fill them in and get some good penetration or else the weld will just sit on top of the crack and when you grind it down, there is no strength from the weld left.

also, if you make your own plate to weld on, cut the plate so the ends taper <=====> like that. it will help to distribute the load and be less prone to cracking around the new welds compared to just welding it at a right angle.

fuckin chevies....

<====>its also a good idea to drill some holes in the centre of the fish plate plug welds kick ass [36]

godtool
02-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info.

My email is canamqualifier@hotmail.com Won't mounting the steering box on top of the frame create a lot of new adjustmennts\additions to your steering?

Talked to a couple guys yesterday in town. They told me about tapering the plate. One guy said you can buy a frame\steering box strengthening kit that bolts onto the frame too. In the 4x4 mags I saw an article on adding a kit that involves welding on a plate and a gusset.

Located a guy out my way (Ruth Lk), John Robertson, that is a top notch welder. I'm cedrtain he's fixed a few chevies too.

godtool
02-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Anyone have pics of a plate welded on?

bakelite
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
John's an awesome welder man he will fix it up right for you.

godtool
03-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Has anyone ever seen a steering brace and weld on kit like this in BC?? See it at the link below. Does Lordco carry stuff like this? I contacted Interior Off Road through email. Yet to hear back (it is Sunday). I like the sandwich idea if I could find some frame pieces. As for John R., I'll call him and see what he says.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

godtool
03-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Here is a pic of the crack! It looks just like other cracks on other pics on the net. Those patches, especially the one that covers the 4 holes, how could a person make that?? I have a welder and oxy\acetylene and hammers. Chjeaper to just buy it. Anyone have pics of patches they have done??

godtool
03-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Whats this cross over steering I hear about? How many of you just patchup the frame really good or go over to cross over steering?? I'm on a limited family income:( . Looks like I may as well cancel my Jimmy insurance and save up for parts??:confused0006:

Kingblazer84
03-07-2008, 03:07 PM
get some 1/2" steel plate cut to fit inside frame rail then take off steering box from frame trace holes onto cut plate then bolt the plate onto the frame weld plate onto frame then bolt steering box back to frame

godtool
03-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Seems the cheapest way to go is sandwich another piece of frame rail on the outside and a piece of 1/2" plate on the inside. I could even make the brace myself. I can't see it flexing after that!! even without a brace!

HEAVY METAL
03-08-2008, 08:47 AM
that part of the frame wont flex...chevy frames r designed too flex.. if you completly stop that it will crack at the next weakest link.. prolly between one of those small hgoles above the shock. if it was me i wouldnt add the 1/2" plate on the inside..the outside pla=te will be fine...

godtool
03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Do the autowreckers let you come take a piece of a frame?

HEAVY METAL
03-08-2008, 08:51 AM
dont see why not...

godtool
03-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Any wreckers in your area you know of? How much $$ is normal? I never bought a "piece of frame"? lol.

bakelite
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Ray is getting rid of all his shit, he'll probably give you a piece of frame

godtool
03-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I talked to him last week about seat mounts. I think he also said all his frames are gone but I'll double check! Thanks.

godtool
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
if it was me i wouldnt add the 1/2" plate on the inside..the outside pla=te will be fine...

Well, got a call today my freind Kenny found me a frame piece. I figure I'll arc weld it on myself. I'll just go with an outside piece for now to allow flexing like HeavyMetal says. I have 7024 for flat welding and 7018 for any position. I'll have to practice on the overhead welding before I weld it on. Anyone suggest a better rod? I only have a AC 295 Amp welder. Maybe I should have someone mig it instead?? Maybe get John to finish it off...

I'll post a pic of the patch before I cut it...

B
03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
just make sure u fish mouth the ends of the plate a stright line will tear every time ...[cheers]

B ...

godtool
03-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks B!

PIGDOG
03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Sounds like a pain in the ass. Buy these and use em both. I have em and they work good.

godtool
03-10-2008, 09:57 AM
What size tires you running Pigdog? Also how many hours you put on the new parts since it cracked?

I'm on Long Term disability so I have the time. I also have a cutting torch and grinders, etc. I most likely can make that brace too!!

PIGDOG
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I run 38's and have probably 7 years on the weld on and 1 year on the bolt on. Hard to say hours.

B
03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a pain in the ass. Buy these and use em both. I have em and they work good.

im a dealer for those guy's and i still just used a piece of frame ... on 44's for years ...

chopped the frame just before the motor mount crossbeam and then at the front crossmember drilled a few more holes in it plug welded em up and fished bothed ends of the plate and done ... :D

godtool
03-13-2008, 08:55 AM
I only have an AC stick welder. A pro welder told me AC welding is not near as good as DC or mig. He told me if I try with my ac welder to use 7016 rod. I've never heard of 7016. I figured if I have a pro weld it, do you figure a $100 would cover it, that is, after I clean up the frame and "patch" so all the pro has to do is weld it?

Kinslayer
03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't know about the cost, but trust these guys on the 'fish plate' welding - when the peice tapers out or is fishplated it allows the reinforced peice to flex and distribute the force over a much larger peice of real estate on your frame.

Fish plating is basically welding a series of shapes that overlap creating a taper that has more metal and more angles on the outside. Makes a really strong and dynamic patch. So far as I understand it anyway.

godtool
03-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Finally got my cracked frame fixed... Heres the final result. Posted a few picks to get your opinion. Brothersgrimm, and a few others here suggested the patch idea. Later I'm going to fab the brace kit myself for extra strength and put crossover steering in.

First grinded the cracks out...
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/cracksgrinded.jpg

We welded the cracks and patch on with 8018 AC rod since thats what we had to play with.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/crackwelded.jpg

Patch welded on.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/Patchweldedon.jpg

Patch painted. Gloss black looks sooo cool
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/patchpainted.jpg

Box back on. My steering wheel moved a bit to one side so need to adjust that one day....
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/boxbackon.jpg