PDA

View Full Version : Starter issue ???

Tunabomber
02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
yj 4.0 starter

been acting up for 2 years now
would have fixed it if i could figure out the problem.

heres what it does

sometimes when i turn the key all she does it go click volt meter drops and thats it.

not click click click click just one click when i turn the key.

the weird part is after bout 2-20 atempts i will turn the key and it will start right up full power like it was brand new :dontknow:

so if the starter does work any other idea's

one say im sure all i get is click [16]

C.W.
02-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Starter relay or clutch switch if a standard. :confused0006:

Cheeky
02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
cheak all battery and main power wires.....somtimes even if your Batt. cables look good,they are all corroded inside....:dontknow:

Pudge
02-18-2008, 06:38 AM
wanna buy a starter?

FINGERS
02-18-2008, 06:39 AM
you are 2 fuckin funny girl

Growly Gorilla
02-18-2008, 08:24 AM
check the ground on the block.

HEAVY METAL
02-18-2008, 08:35 AM
ummmm.. its been doin this for TWO YEARS? and ya havent fixed it?

new starter..yo

Leithmc
02-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Starters pooched. Try tapping it (lightly) and see if it fires right up.

UU
02-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Probably from all that hardcore wheeling

HEAVY METAL
02-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Probably from all that hardcore wheeling

im thinkin amor all overspray...yo

UU
02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Doh[27] my bad

Nutbar
02-18-2008, 09:55 AM
I think wax buildup can cause the same issues

UU
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
I think wax buildup can cause the same issues

why would she be waxing her legs over the starter [wako]

Nutbar
02-18-2008, 09:57 AM
[9] [9] [9] [9] [9] [9]

Nutbar
02-18-2008, 10:39 AM
cheak all battery and main power wires.....somtimes even if your Batt. cables look good,they are all corroded inside....:dontknow:

[stupid] give all battery and power connections a clean and check if it is still doin it then suspect the starter

Tunabomber
02-18-2008, 11:24 AM
[1b] .............................[16] arrrrrrrrrrg when will it end

Toyquad
02-18-2008, 03:36 PM
so its been doing it for two years? have you tried to do anything about it in the past? ie. clean battery terminals,grounds, made sure the starter bolts were tight? etc etc etc..... did you do anyting? and when i say "you" i mean did you pay anybody to look at it yet? or have you just been content with having to turn the key 2-20times to get it to start?

Tunabomber
02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
so its been doing it for two years? have you tried to do anything about it in the past? ie. clean battery terminals,grounds, made sure the starter bolts were tight? etc etc etc..... did you do anyting? and when i say "you" i mean did you pay anybody to look at it yet? or have you just been content with having to turn the key 2-20times to get it to start?

I have cleaned and ispected all wires and teminals i have a optima blue batt
good grounds and it only happens 1-2 times a month and never when i try to show some one.

starter works great most of the time and even got me out of traffic when i ran out of gas last week[16]

but on a side note trev since i know you well enough to see where yer going go fuck yourself

epic3
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I doubt its your starter if its been doin it for two years it woulda gotten worst to the point of finally failing if it was.
I think its your ignition switch

Always broke
02-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Nope it's probably just a flat spot on the starter time to change it eh!!!

Moondog
02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I have cleaned and ispected all wires and teminals i have a optima blue batt
good grounds and it only happens 1-2 times a month and never when i try to show some one.

starter works great most of the time and even got me out of traffic when i ran out of gas last week[16]

but on a side note trev since i know you well enough to see where yer going go fuck yourself

Blue top is for marine use. Did you choose it so it could put up with all of the washing and polishing that you do:vroam:

whazhappenin69
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
lololol
If it has a gear reduction starter it will just be the contacts in the solonoid.........less than $5 to fix, but yahave to take the starter out.
Once it's out take the solonoid cover off, you will see what I'm talking about....easy easy fix...
If its a non gear reduction just replace the solonoid....a bit more expensive but still only around $40

ManDown
02-19-2008, 08:05 PM
lololol
If it has a gear reduction starter it will just be the contacts in the solonoid.........less than $5 to fix, but yahave to take the starter out.
Once it's out take the solonoid cover off, you will see what I'm talking about....easy easy fix...
If its a non gear reduction just replace the solonoid....a bit more expensive but still only around $40

that makes absolutly no sense lol explain how the gear reduction effects the solenoid contacts??? a gear reduction would be another set of gears in the nosecone i think your confused...

check your grounds and relays before you pull the whole starter

whazhappenin69
02-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Gear reduction has nothing to do with the contacts in the solonoid.

But

The solonoid on a gear reduction starter is built into the aluminum housing and is not a seperate unit. Once the contacts are worn in this style starter(wich is very common) the plunger will not always make contact with both of the contacts, therefore when you turn the key the starter drive will engage making the click sound but will not start the engine.

I will try to explain.

When you turn the key to start the engine the solonoid is powered up (by the ignition) and forces the plunger shaft to engage the starter drive into the flywheel (click). On the end of the plunger shaft there is a disc that hits two contacts and allows the battery current to flow though to the starter motor and spin the motor.
If the contacts are worn the disc will not always hit both contacts and therefore will not supply power to the starters motor.

When you pull the solonoid cover off (usually 3 screws) you will be able to pull the plunger out and view both the contacts. (Be carefull not to loose the ball berring that sits under the plunger shaft). If the contacts are worn or burned out it will be quite obvious, I've seen many that were almost completely non existant. One contact is conected to the main battery power, and the other is conected to the large wire that powers the starters motor.

Hope this helps