PDA

View Full Version : more pwer form a 6.2 diesel??

Dieseljeep
02-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

I just got an 84 Chev 6.2 diesel any ideas of have I can dial up my fuel(pumP) for some more power haulin a 22'travel trailer??
It has dual exhaust and an open element air cleaner.

Moondog
02-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Yep I do

Buy a CUMMINS :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045:

C.W.
02-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Can you get more power from them? :confused0006:
I guess a turbo would do it.

whazhappenin69
02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Just so you don't waste your time, turning up the pump presure without doing anything else will only produce more smoke and no more power.

A few things you could do.....

J code heads if you don't already have them and a non egr intake. Of course a turbo, Banks makes a nice one that will bolt on. Nice price too....Then you'll have to make sure the pump and injectors are up snuff and crank up the pump pressure a bit, or more than likely you'll have to replace them. Then do away with the timing chain and replace it with gears. Last but not least get rid of the stock harmonic balancer and put on a mercury filled. After doing these mods I would suggest getting rid of the dual exhaust and putting on a large single. Seems strange but these engines perform better with the large single exhaust.

Keep in mind.....

The stock harmonic balancer on these engines are crap and should be replaced, the constant vibration eventually stresses out the block and crank and kaboom.
The timing chains are weak and stretch from the high pressure from the fuel pump causing incorrect injector timing and loss of power.

Also......

Most people drive these engines like a regular V8 and over rev them....These engines don't like to be over rev'd and generally won't last if you drive them hard. That being said mine has 367k on it now and still runs strong.... but still gutless.

If your looking for big power don't bother, swap it out for a Cummins.

Hope this helps.

drew
02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
if you need any parts i got a whole truck 6.2diesel (non turbo) for parts!!! wont give you any power but if ya need anything just pm me!
Its got bran new gas tanks too!!

whazhappenin69
02-27-2008, 09:42 PM
if you need any parts i got a whole truck 6.2diesel (non turbo) for parts!!!

Just curious as to what year it is and which heads it has?? How much$$$ ?

WagoneerXJ
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Also......

Most people drive these engines like a regular V8 and over rev them....These engines don't like to be over rev'd and generally won't last if you drive them hard. That being said mine has 367k on it now and still runs strong.... but still gutless.

My best friend had an 84 GMC 2wd with the 6.2 diesel. It was a fun truck...we over revved it ALL the time. I was suprised it lasted him almost 5 years. He put on a dual 3" straight pipe exhaust...sounded kinda mean but she was gutless as all hell. Engine eventually smoked so bad he junked it.

pumpkin
03-05-2008, 07:37 AM
I have a turbo for sale, with the exhaust manifold.

78bronco
03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
just put a real diesel in it cummins or a power stroke dont wast your coin on that gm crap

solid-10
03-08-2008, 04:17 AM
hay if you look in the newest issue of 8 lug i know its a guy mag but i was reading it and it had a wacken low down on 6.2 and 6.5 good article not a diesel guy but i read the hole thing theres lots of info for sure check out.