PDA

View Full Version : how much aprx for detroit truetrac

highwaystar
02-13-2008, 10:25 PM
I have a detroit softlocker I got to throw in my truck but then I moved to kelowna and have to commute too much so I held off on installing it, and now dont think its practical for 95% + street use.

Im thinking about selling it for 600$ and getting a truetrac instead. how much would a truetrac cost aprx? I paid 900$ for the softlocker, and if the truetrac is that much then ill forget the whole thing. I almost sold the locker for that before but buyer backed out as they usually do, then I had second thoughts and kept it. Is 600$ fair?

barracuda
02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
use the soft locker it is a better piece of Kit. you driveability on the street wont be comprimised as long as you adapt yourself to your equipment.

I wouldnt bother trading down and getting a truetrack negligeble benefits on the street, far less off road worthy and they are far less robust then a detroit

I have had them both .

B
02-13-2008, 11:08 PM
im w [stupid] .. u got what u want u just don't know it yet .... [5][5][5][5][5] ...

hamberger
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I 99% daily drive my detroit.....thank god for posts like this to remind me I still have it.

ham

pumpkin
02-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Before my Blazer was written off it was 100% my daily driver. It has a detroit locker in it, and I realy don't see why people have a problem with them for daily drivers. My 2wd pickup has had one for 15 years and again I don't find any bad side to it. The only thing I find bad is that there is more backlash when your on and off the gas, and in a corner the truck slows down a bit as only the outside wheel does the driving, unless I'm really on the gas. They work just like an open diff unless one wheel tries to spin, then your locked and either the tires chirp a bit or your dirt tracking[36] . I wouold have them in everythig I own if I had the bucks to do it. In slippery type conditions with a posi or open diff its hit or miss when you take a corner with too much throttle if one wheel is going to spin or both. Whith a locker that question is gone,,,,,,, both are going ti spin.

atoyot
02-14-2008, 09:13 AM
my daily has a detroit in the rear and tru trac up front i hate the tru trac

id keep the locker.....
why does everyone say they are soo unfriendly????
i get the odd clunk from it now and then maybe a little tire chirp
on the plus side i can fish tail and do doughnuts on dry pavement
id keep the locker if and when u go offroad its a far better piece if equipment to have than a tru trac...
my 2.5 cents

highwaystar
02-14-2008, 11:06 PM
ok, well thank you all for your imput. I guess ill have the detroit thrown in when I can afford. Id like to find someone with one to take a ride with cuz ive never ridden in a truck with a locker and maybe thats why Im so aprehensive. So ill try to do that. thanks all.

OldEnuff
02-15-2008, 01:48 AM
I drove my '85 Bronco as my DD for 2 years with a full detroit in the rear and like Pumpkin said above after the learning curve of driving on pavement with a locker you will never want to be without one again

[cheers]

s10 broad
02-15-2008, 07:21 PM
heres a q.. i have the deroit locker in the rear adn i was wondering is it normal for it to clunk qiute a bit when letting out clutch and taking foot off gas?? plus i took it wheeling for the first time and in 4wheel going straight it banged pretty good. i have never had locker before so i dont know if this is normal?? any hepl
?

hamberger
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Judging from your other post you have a Detroit EZ locker which clunks, clicks and occasionally bangs. Who put it in? Did they measure with feeler guages to make sure the spacing was within specs?

Now on the other hand this thread is about the Detroit SOFTLocker which is a totally superior piece of technology and more expensive and has little to no quirks like the EZ.

ham