PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling above Summerland

C.W.
02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
How far do the trails above summerland go?
I took my nissan up there today, im new to the area and didn't realize how far they go. But i found out that my nissan beats the he11 out of my s15 jimmy as far as offroading goes. :D
Even where i thought it wouldnt go..........it went with no extra help.
The snow was very slushy under the frozen layer on top, made for lots of sliding around and came close to a few trees and rocks. Guess thats what happens when all you see is quad tracks and figure "my truck is small, if they fit so will i" :D
All in all it was fun and im very impressed with a truck that most people said not too buy.
Sorry no pics :( The vid from my daughters phone wouldn't post. :confused:

caveman
02-11-2008, 10:59 PM
glad you got out and did not break! there is lots of trails out that way.

C.W.
02-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Ya it started getting dark so i turned around and came back out cuz i wasn't sure where or when i would come out the way i was going.
The way the truck handled it today especially when i had to work it hard is definately making me reconsider selling it. Considering selling the GMC now.

Troy
02-11-2008, 11:04 PM
sweet pics

TWOZEROFOUR
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
they go for ever man

C.W.
02-11-2008, 11:16 PM
they go for ever man
I noticed. Is there any streams or lakes i should be aware of around there?

TWOZEROFOUR
02-11-2008, 11:20 PM
lots, buy a garmin with Topo`s.... or a Back roads map book.. i gave up on the books cuz the beer kept fuckin them up :dontknow:

C.W.
02-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Hmmm? Are they visible with all the snow out there? I have a backroad map book but i forgot it at home today. I didnt think those trails actually went anywhere, thought they all just came back out to the road. (summerland-princton or meadow valley roads) I only pulled in just above the landfill on the right i guess kinda towards meadow valley.

Gumbo
02-11-2008, 11:51 PM
let me know next time you head out, been lookin for someone to buddy up with on some of the trails around Peachland. Way to easy to end up stuck alone [cheers]

C.W.
02-11-2008, 11:55 PM
How is that area for a 87 nissan stock on 31's?

Gumbo
02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
wouldn't know...but I think you'll continue to be surprised at where you can go. 360 c.i., lockers on 40" mudders isn't always a guarantee either

C.W.
02-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Lol! I have a 79 GMC 1/2ton as well but its stock on 31's and i havn't even wheeled it yet. Plus the nissan is cheap on gas. :cool:

Gumbo
02-12-2008, 12:14 AM
wanna wheel or not :dontknow: [f]

C.W.
02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Ya i would try it. I've never been up behind peachland. Not sure if i can till the 23/24th weekend but if i can sooner i'll pm you.

Gumbo
02-12-2008, 12:50 AM
:cool:

Greg82
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Rob Gumbo is looking pimp

How much snow you guys got up there?

78ford250-460
02-12-2008, 12:22 PM
looks of lakes and stuff fish lake (darke), garrent dam, u can go to priceton that way. get to peachland that way. monroe, enius. just a ton of trails up there. there never end.

Shera
02-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Back of summerland ,one road takes you over to Princeton also if you take the road pass the kvr museum that takes you to Isintok Lake which we did last summer but that level was real low and first time I have ever come across a wild skunk [city ones are more passive and don't even raise their tail at you but did the wild one ever] quite funny here is this little guy or gal walking pass us and we[big gaints compared to them ] left the other way . and if you follow that road it will hook up to red china creek road that comes out just after seperation lakes , old backroad book shows it hooks up to Stemwinder fsr but that road dispappered about 15 years ago from bad wind fall only a quad can get thru ,dirt bike it was impossible

C.W.
02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I wasn't even at the meadow valley rd turn yet when i went in. I think the trail i was on was kinda running the same direction as meadow valley rd. Any idea where that would be heading. I have been out to fish lake before and the other way by the kvr, is that where you end up on the reserve?

Deathtrap
02-13-2008, 11:25 AM
There are tons of trails out there, thats where I do most of my wheeling. Where your going out prarie valley road you will come to a Y-junction, to the right takes you towards the back road to princton and the cartwright Mtn area which is probably where you went. If you go left at the Y it takes you past the KVR railway station up the McNualty FSR, it takes you up to isontok lake and Agur lake and also onto the penticton indian reserve. now the Cartwright trails go everywhere around there, you can actually end up near eneus lakes if you can find the right trail. The back road to princton has lots of old logging/mining trails out there but its quite the drive out into the bush to get to them. Alot of the cartwright trails arent shown on maps and alot go in circles into small canyons that look alike with small pond and what not everywhere. Dont go to far out on some of those trails without someone who knows the area, pretty easy to get lost. Ill be moving back to peachland in may sometime so Ill be looking to do some wheeling/trail-building.

KINGCRUISER
02-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey south okanagoners, find a good trail and lets do some peachland/summerland wheeling.

C.W.
02-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey south okanagoners, find a good trail and lets do some peachland/summerland wheeling.
I've been looking, like i said im new to the area so its all exploring new territory for me. Summerland area seems to have less snow which has made it alot easier for me in a stock truck. Up on the otherside of the lake on greyback, chute lake and ellinor lake areas it gets deep in some spots and is very wet, heavy and slushy on top of ice pretty much everywhere right now. Makes it pretty challenging even when it looks easy.
I would definately like to explore the summerland area more and i havn't been around peachland anywhere yet. But definately should have more than one truck out there.

ManDown
02-13-2008, 06:59 PM
theres a sweet mud pit out there! above peachland too!

Deathtrap
02-13-2008, 07:50 PM
theres a sweet mud pit out there! above peachland too!

The one in summerland out in garnet valley, you should try and avoid going through that one now-a-days, the cops go there fairly often and hand out tickets now, And the fact that it is one nasty hole, I watched my friend snap his mid 70's tow truck in half, The front end started to lift off the ground and the frame made a little creeking sound and then bang, The truck A-Framed. There are ditches in that hole 7-8 feet deep and when theres standing water in them they look small but will swollow your truck whole.

C.W.
02-13-2008, 08:07 PM
What do the cops ticket you for? Is it a closed area?

Mrs_Deathtrap
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
It's crown land, last year they passed a by-law that they can fine you up to $1000 if caught 4 wheeling or mudding or anything like that. We were all the way up at Agur lake, the truck was covered in mud and a fire marshall came and threatened us with a fine. He didn't have any jurisdiction but he can call people who do type thing. They're crackig down nice and hard. Also above Summerland cartwright area (to the right of the Y, on the right hand side), they're going to be turning it all into golf courses and condo's.

C.W.
02-13-2008, 09:08 PM
So where are you allowed to wheel legally?

highwaystar
02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
anywhere....

as long as you dont get caught :D

post up these events im always up for some milder wheeling!

C.W.
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
[quote=highwaystar;1231298]anywhere....

as long as you dont get caught :D
Lol! So basically everywhere is illegal now??? :dontknow:

Gumbo
02-13-2008, 11:27 PM
So where are you allowed to wheel legally?

[redneck] OUTLAW WHEELERS [redneck]

C.W.
02-13-2008, 11:41 PM
[redneck] OUTLAW WHEELERS [redneck]
Well i have one response to those who think that way...............................
go fuck yourself

Mrs_Deathtrap
02-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Actually any wheeling that is off designated roads in the okanagan is illegal because of how sensitive the area is. They say that it takes over 40 years for a place you've driven over to grow back, and 100 years for the roads that are already there to grow back. They couldn't do anything before cause it was considered forestry that had to take care of it, but now everything is crown land that isn't on the reserve, and they passed that stupid by-law. Not sure how it is everywhere else in the okanagan but summerland/peachland is cracking down.

caveman
02-14-2008, 11:27 AM
if you stay on the trail and out of the water sheds, they should leave you alone................ I would think!

C.W.
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Well i have been staying on the trails already there. But this leads me to ask................Why is it ok for sleds and atv's but not for us? :dontknow:

Fuzzydog
02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
...They say that it takes over 40 years for a place you've driven over to grow back, and 100 years for the roads that are already there to grow back.....

I've heard that too, but 'they' say that without ever explaining why anyone would care if it ever grows back, or why it 'has to' grow back....and 'they' are sitting in big concrete jungle cities that will take thousands of years to grow back. Why is it that a few explorers cut a path through wilderness and 'they' worry about it growing back, but when it is done in the name of urban development 'they' never worry about it growing back?

highwaystar
02-14-2008, 04:00 PM
also 99% of people that complain are idiots who moved here from alberta or the coast and have lived here less than 5 years. they drive the housing up till us faithful locals cant afford to take a dump. I wish theyd close the coq and the route to alberta permanantly. WE ARE FULL!

C.W.
02-14-2008, 04:11 PM
also 99% of people that complain are idiots who moved here from alberta or the coast and have lived here less than 5 years. they drive the housing up till us faithful locals cant afford to take a dump. I wish theyd close the coq and the route to alberta permanantly. WE ARE FULL!
Ummm...........I came here from Alberta go fuck yourself
Lol! But i kinda know what your sayin. I came to get away from the cold and in some cases the people. I am definately seeing the cost of housing problem too.

highwaystar
02-14-2008, 10:20 PM
sorry I know its not everyone.

Its just like the Grasslands Co-olition of B.C, they wanted to make a provincial park of everything from osoyoos to penticton. yet it was comprised of members who mostly live on the coast.

My favorite trail got shut down by ONE COUPLE who moved in from the coast and thought the ATVs were too loud. All they had to do was complain to their real estate agents who were developing the land for more houses.

Also the article that was in the news rendering anyone who owns a 4x4 an idiot in kelowna here awhile back (last year) was written by someone who had moved here within 3 years. I know as we exchanged a few emails about the subject. I think it was after the little white fiasco.

You cant blame people for comming here cuz its beautiful. I guess its just one of those things. I got an email a few days ago from a guy in revelstoke with the same problem after he read my ranting on my website:

"Your website was sent to me by a good friend of mine. We live in Revelstoke B.C. and have been here most
of our lives. As you know , Revelstoke was a small beautiful town that now will have a world class ski resort.
Many people have alreay left for they can't afford to live in a town where the average rent is $1200.00 a month.
We now have , many strange faces who replaced them and they are not like the friendly people who have moved
away. Like you said , these people do throw their weight around and get things done to their liking. My friend and
i were metal detecting south of Revelstoke with our Canine Friends when we were rather rudely told to get off
the beach. The beach we were on was a dirty muddy beach with lots of glass and rusted metal and so far away from
their home that we were no threat to them. This area has many strange individuals who don't like stranger around.
You can bet your life that as soon as you pull over to the side of the road that someone will drive by to check you
out. These "ASSHOLES" as we called them , drive by back and forth untill you're out of the area. I am very much
like you with a temper when it comes to people like them. They move in and all of a sudden things change. The
son of a bitch who kicked us off the beach had bought the land as far as the water goes down and not to the high
water mark. That way , no one can pass by on the beach. One Revelstoke fella who was fishing at a nearby bed and
breakfast (owned by a filty rich european, who took the owner he bought the property from to court over a small technicality
and won and got the property for half the money) was told to get out of the bay for it was private property...........
They are taking our land left and right. For the last 33 years have i spend my days in the mountains south of
Revelstoke with my Family and Dogs. We've walked the hillsides around Shelter Bay looking for antlers , mushrooms ,
wildlife etc and we were just notified that those 2500 acres will be sold................all the way from 20 km south of Revelstoke
to 70 km .....but i need to tell you this..........they will have to kill me to keep me off that land for i'll never change my ways.
No european or albertan is gonna tell me to stay off their land...........it was ours to begin with. So here you have it. I guess
we're all in the same boat. These people are like a disease that spreads and there's no cure for. Their riches
is thrown around and they take everything away from us. But like i said already......good luck to them with keeping me away
from our favorite trails. Fists will be flying!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care."

anyways I dont care anymore. gettin off topic. lets just go wheelin and screw it. :party0010:

C.W.
02-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Wow that was alot of reading. No offence was taken like i said people like that was part of the reason i came back to the Okanagan.

Im thinkin of lookin for some mild wheelin/exploring on the weekend of the 23-24th in the Penticton/summerland/peachland area if anyone is interested.

Gumbo
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Campbell Mnt. is fun - Penticton area

C.W.
02-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Which one is campbell?

Gumbo
02-14-2008, 11:06 PM
check backroad map. I think Highwaystar's been there before

ManDown
02-15-2008, 01:47 PM
The one in summerland out in garnet valley, you should try and avoid going through that one now-a-days, the cops go there fairly often and hand out tickets now, And the fact that it is one nasty hole, I watched my friend snap his mid 70's tow truck in half, The front end started to lift off the ground and the frame made a little creeking sound and then bang, The truck A-Framed. There are ditches in that hole 7-8 feet deep and when theres standing water in them they look small but will swollow your truck whole.

you mean this mudhole?????
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/Redneck_bowling/moretruckinthemud2.jpg

ive wheeled there many a time and i have never found a 7-8 foot hole. i think the only reason cops go there is because its really close to town..

C.W.
02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Havn't found that yet but maybe its frozen. I havn't explored on the left side of the road though.

ManDown
02-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Which one is campbell?

its the one that the garbage dump is on..... instead of going to the dump you go right. then up past a cattle guard then for about another 2 minutes then there is a gravel road tothe right hand side turn right and drive about 50m there will be a parking lot sort of thing on your right and trails in all directions
oh... and watch out for mountain bikes as there is a downhill course through the trees

ManDown
02-15-2008, 02:05 PM
takes 10 - 15 minutes to get there from town and there is trails all over the mountain

C.W.
02-15-2008, 02:07 PM
So heading up greyback but turn at the bottom? Or is it greyback?

ManDown
02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
if you hit greyback you gone waaaaayyyyyyy to far lol its like 30 seconds past the first cattleguard

C.W.
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Ok that will be the trails i look down on from greyback wondering how to get to them. Lol! I've explored a little around greyback and come out around arawana, lots more to check out there too but it was pretty deep and getting dark.

highwaystar
02-15-2008, 05:56 PM
yeah theres a maze of trails between greyback and arawana. you can actually go all the way to chute lake from there via big meadow lake.
Campells mountain is the mountain just south of the dump. some fun trails up there, unfortunatly its also used as an alternative to the dump alot of the time.
I should be in town the 23rd weekend if I dont have to work!

C.W.
02-15-2008, 06:04 PM
If you are send me a pm or post.

Deathtrap
02-15-2008, 06:56 PM
you mean this mudhole?????
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/Redneck_bowling/moretruckinthemud2.jpg

ive wheeled there many a time and i have never found a 7-8 foot hole. i think the only reason cops go there is because its really close to town..

Nope not that one, I wasn't talking about the Penticton end of garnet valley, garnet valley extends onto both side of the lake, I was refering to the summerland end of the valley.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/608921/fullsize/summerland-sat-image-modd.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/608922/fullsize/summerland-raod-image.jpg

C.W.
02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
By the looks of that, i would've been in the cartwright/faulder trail area. I went in just off the road above the dump. How far do those trails go? I know in one direction you end up in the middle of a subdivision. :dontknow:

C.W.
02-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Whats the deal with the no trespassing signs at the gates to the reserve? Are we allowed in there or not a good idea?

Deathtrap
02-16-2008, 03:20 PM
By the looks of that, i would've been in the cartwright/faulder trail area. I went in just off the road above the dump. How far do those trails go? I know in one direction you end up in the middle of a subdivision. :dontknow:

The trails if you go northwest can come out in faulder/meadow valley. There are a few that come out in garnet valley but I think the exits are blocked now (private property).

Whats the deal with the no trespassing signs at the gates to the reserve? Are we allowed in there or not a good idea?

The fenced in area at the start of the road on the south side of the road is Private Property, dont go in those gates, theres a gravel pit and a small air strip. If you go up shingle creek raod for about a km or 2 you can drive on any of those trails.

C.W.
02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I just went past the steam train museum or whatever that is and as soon as you see the signs saying its the reserve there is no trespassing signs all over. I just turned around at the signs.

ManDown
02-16-2008, 06:17 PM
doesnt that road take you up to isintok lake????

C.W.
02-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure i was a little leary of finding out by my self.

ManDown
02-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Nope not that one, I wasn't talking about the Penticton end of garnet valley, garnet valley extends onto both side of the lake, I was refering to the summerland end of the valley.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/608921/fullsize/summerland-sat-image-modd.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/608922/fullsize/summerland-raod-image.jpg

the summerland end being...... that mudhole is past garnett lake then you take the right hand turn at the y and then its off to the right..... really not that close to garnett lake

i really think you guys are thinking of a different mudhole

ManDown
02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
that mudhole you circled is the one we were at.... whats this penticton end your talking about??

ManDown
02-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure i was a little leary of finding out by my self.

i think it does theres good fishing up there!!

highwaystar
02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
usually in that area no tresspassing signs mean your on the indian reserve. They are not too fond of people wheeling in there. I had a few friends who got tickets once. for what its worth. always wanted to explore all the side roads off the faulder - princeton road one day. cool area!

C.W.
02-16-2008, 07:39 PM
usually in that area no tresspassing signs mean your on the indian reserve. They are not too fond of people wheeling in there. I had a few friends who got tickets once. for what its worth. always wanted to explore all the side roads off the faulder - princeton road one day. cool area!
Maybe next weekend?

Deathtrap
02-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I will be coming back there in march from the 20th to the 25, If ya want I could show ya around up there on that weekend, the trails will be more fun, slick as shit and hopfully not to much snow in the gullies.

C.W.
02-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I will be coming back there in march from the 20th to the 25, If ya want I could show ya around up there on that weekend, the trails will be more fun, slick as shit and hopfully not to much snow in the gullies.
That sounds cool. My mom might be out from AB that week too. Kinda wanted to get her on some trails.

Gumbo
02-16-2008, 09:06 PM

count me in

highwaystar
02-17-2008, 12:28 AM
me too! If we wait till the snow melts I think there are some abandoned mines up that way :D

Deathtrap
02-17-2008, 06:56 AM
All the old mines are out on the bald range and theres only 1 that I know of out in garnet and you can only get to them buy quad/walking.