PDA

View Full Version : bronco front end rubbing?

regulate34
02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
well as some of you know i bot "in the zone" s bronco 2
i wheeled it at stave on new years then parked it for a month while i was in kelowna for collage
anyway i was working on it and took it for a test drive around the block
when i put it in 4x4 ( high and low) it makes a bad rubbing sound
i dont think its the t-case because it stills dose it with the hubs locked but the t-case still in 2wd
i cant find it and dont know what to start pulling apart any ideas
it was fine b4 i parked it
but now its making this sound kinda like two pieces of metal rubbing togher

Troy
02-03-2008, 04:57 PM
get your ass under the truck and take a look

regulate34
02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
oh i have but i cant see any thing at all nothing rubs nothis is binding that i can see the tires clear i hvent got a clue but i gess its comming apart
i was thinging that the tires might be out of allingment so bad that on the pavment it ti causing some binding?

Deathtrap
02-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Check the spindle needle bearings, water and crap gets in them fairly easily and screws them up. It takes about 15min to get to them and it gives you a chance to repack the hubs.

regulate34
02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
but would that make a differance if it was in 4wd because 2wd is fine

Deathtrap
02-03-2008, 07:38 PM
You stated up top there that it still did it with the hubs locked but while in 2 wheel, the axle is still gonna turn.

FU Toolbag
02-03-2008, 10:25 PM
the spindle bearings will be doing it all the time, reguardless if in 4 or 2wd. One simple and stupid one is some yokes have a dust sheild that can be easily dented and then rub on the axle or tcase. If they're there, straighten them out and ditch em when you get the chance.

OldEnuff
02-04-2008, 12:24 AM
It sounds like it is somewhere from the front output yoke (as stated above) to the the tires.

what kind of rubbing sound
metal on metal....... or ????
is it a "fast" rubbing sound or a "slow" rubbing sound
if "fast" it is probably yoke to front diff as the drive shaft will be turning at least 3.5 times as fast as the axle
if "slow" it is probably from diff to wheel hubs/tires as the axle only turns as fast as the tires do

hope this helps [cheers]

regulate34
02-04-2008, 05:33 PM
its kinda a slow rub
but not conatant
when i put in in 4 i can go about 50 ft and then it starts
and its not rubbing all the time
its sounds like rub....rub....rub....rub....rub
a very small pause inbetween rubs like somthing is out of round

epic3
02-04-2008, 06:13 PM
maybee you got a rock or some dried mud in your front shaft housing

regulate34
02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
k i just took it out in the snow and its working fine maby it has somthing to do with the pavement?

OldEnuff
02-05-2008, 12:28 AM
A 31" tire turns once in approx 8 feet of forward travel
a 37" tire turns once in approx 9.5 feet of forward travel

If the "rub rub rub rub" happens at about that amount of forward travel then it is something to do with your wheel/hub/brakes/axle

then we can go on from there to figure out why only on pavement (I have some ideas :D )

[cheers]

Jim

In The Zone
02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
if your hubs are still locked and t case in 2hi the front drive shaft will still be turning i suspect u joint failure is next

i have some paper work for ya to Bud......

and kick panels.... I believe

regulate34
02-05-2008, 06:42 AM
why only on pavement (I have some ideas :D )

[cheers]

Jim

like tires way out or bent rims?

derricklordon
02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
when the spindle brg,s were gone in my truck it was only noisy in 4 i would not rule them out