PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap advice

nbrowser
01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok Jeepheads......how much of a bitch is it to swap out a 4.0 in a '89 XJ LTD Auto ? seriously considering doing the ultimate engine repair and hoping any of you dudes can give me some tips on it, thanks in advance ! [cheers]

kootenaycat
01-31-2008, 11:39 PM
Ok Jeepheads......how much of a bitch is it to swap out a 4.0 in a '89 XJ LTD Auto ? seriously considering doing the ultimate engine repair and hoping any of you dudes can give me some tips on it, thanks in advance ! [cheers]

All depends on your mechanical ability, tools/shop equipment and of course a large bank account! :D

And what exactly is the "ultimate engine repair"? You putting in a SBC? :D

nbrowser
01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Nah, just swapping out a crapped out 4.0 for a exact same 4.0 that runs ! lol Just don't have the budget to change it to a V8 or anything else but a straight ahead 4.0 for 4.0 swap......be it the blasted Renix system but my current motor is just cooked, rattles, stalls, etc. etc oh and someone decided to install an oversized tube from the valve cover to the intake manifold where a wee lil vacuum line should be and that causes so many headaches and it drinks gas so badly that that David Suzuki guy would be furious ! Also, I"m a third year aprentice mechanic and this swap would be done at my shop where I work and yes, I do own a set of inverted torx sockets.......!

Jeep Victim
02-01-2008, 08:39 AM
What's the big deal then.I swapped mine in my YJ in a snow storm in my driveway.Swapped out a 4.2 and put in a 4.0 HO stroker.Pretty basic and don't claim to be a mechanical.

Leithmc
02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Beware of some of the electrical connections. The plugs look the same. If you mix em up you can have a perfectly installed engine that won't start. Take pics.

Leith

fourplay
02-01-2008, 09:45 AM
yeah, take pics, and lots of them, and BACK THEM UP ON A DISC....

I forgot to back em up and my PC crashed.. [16] [16]

broken_down
02-01-2008, 06:41 PM
pretty simple, just do yourself a favour and buy a set of reverse torx bits... trust you'll thank me later...

ManDown
02-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Arent you a mechanic?