PDA

View Full Version : getting moisture out of vehicles....

Fuzzydog
01-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not daily driving my jeep anymore but there is some snow/ice accumulation in it from some winter use. I started it up after a couple weeks the other day and noticed that the fabric cover on the sunvisors, the center roof console and a small section of the headliner has sagged. @#$^%#$^!!! I'm assuming this is because of the high moisture content inside from snow coming off boots.
Anybody else have this problem and what did you do about it? Leaving the doors open for a while is not really an option at -26 degrees....

Can Tire has some 'damp rid' stuff that is supposed to absorb moisture from the air - any experiences?

MUD CHILD
01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Put a electric heater in there leave a window down 1/2" for the moisture to escape and let it run till it's dry.[cheers]

Leithmc
01-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Go to your local tire shop, someone who does tractor tires. Ask them for calcium chloride. That's basically what the canadian tire stuff is. Put a couple inches of it in an icecream bucket that has a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom. Suspend the bucket in a larger container like a 20 litre pail. The calcium is hydroscopic and will absorb the moisture and allow it to dip into the larger container. You can downsize this contraption if you want but that's the general idea. A space heater in the vehicle will help to evap the moisture, making the collection faster.

norm
01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I use a product called DRI-Z-AIR it is a small plastic basket which you put this white shit in and a catch can underneath to catch drips.I use it in my
motorhome when it's parked.It works well,so well it'll suck the water outa
the sink traps.[cheers]

UU
01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
did ya look in the glovebox ?

does it say "Jeep" ?

that's your problem right there :D

Fuzzydog
01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I use a product called DRI-Z-AIR it is a small plastic basket which you put this white shit in and a catch can underneath to catch drips.I use it in my
the sink traps.[cheers]

sounds a lot like the cambodian tire stuff. good to hear it works.[cheers]

Leithmc
01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
the sink traps.[cheers]

Ya, that's calcium

Fuzzydog
01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
did ya look in the glovebox ?

does it say "Jeep" ?

that's your problem right there :D

ouch!

UU
01-30-2008, 04:29 PM
:dontknow: just speaking from experience

longhorn
01-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Go to a RV joint and they have everything you need.

arjan
01-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Running the heat full blast with the windows cracked should do the trick I would think. That's how they dehumidify greenhouses. (Heating + venting at the same time)

lornix
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
:dontknow: just speaking from experience

Ha ha ha, no shit. I took the headliner out of mine and just dry it with a towel once or twice a week in the winter. Stoopid Jeeps. :)

razr
01-31-2008, 12:20 AM
in out cars that sit around we do the same typa thing as that tractor tire stuff that was talked about

we just use a plastic ontainer with a hole cut in the lid and some window mesh in the hole and pore some of that driveway de- icer into the mesh suspended over the bucket
seams to soak up pretty good

Lynx
01-31-2008, 06:43 AM
I know they make de-humidifiers for home use.

Dr.Ford
01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
yep got i've got dri-z-air in my beast and it works fine. you can find it at cantire in the trailer section for like 10 buck.