PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of jeep questions

Josh_M
01-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry for the repetitive question but I was wondering A few things. I just picked up an '86 XJ and I had a few questions about lifting it and intakes:

First off, how much would I have to lift it to run 33" tires, and is 33" tires even a good idea with a 2.5l 5spd. Would 31"s be a better idea, and if so how much of a lift would I need to run them ?

What would be the cheepest way to lift it to get required clearance for 33" or 31" tires ? Back would just use lift blocks and longer u bolts, but are there any springs that I can use in the front coils to lift it (I was told explorer springs?) and with these springs will I have to change any steering parts ? Essentially, what is the most I can lift it without having to swap out a bunch of parts.

Secondly, I have a beautiful cone filter that i bought, and Ive just came to realize that if I rig up a ram air type cold air intake (like what you'd see on a car) where the filter is exposed, Its going to get caked in mud and my engine is going to hate me for life. Are there any examples of guards for a cone style filter on here ? Theres a bunch of stuff hooked up to the air box (looks like a vacuum line that runs back to the throttle body, I assume the larger pipe that comes out and runs back to the intake is to send warm air into the engine for startup ?)

Any suggestions for a teenager with a jeep that wants to get into 4x4ing, besides a larger wallet http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/files//1/0/laugh2.gif Thanks all

Mr Vic
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
if you want to lift it.. do it properly and get a good Rubicon Express kit, probly going to need more than 4.5" to clear 33's.. and a SYE, CV driveshaft otherwise major vibs in the drivetrain and broken u joints and other parts. for 31's you can use less lift..

if your going to do it on the cheap or just lifting in general, you need to consider lots of things, control arms, brake lines, sway bar disconects, t case drop if not putting in a SYE, leaf pack, shackles, coils, shocks, bumpstops etc.. all the things that would come in a good lift kit such as RE extreme duty kits.

beat on your jeep, drive it and enjoy it as it is for now, save your cash, get a good lift..

as for the intake i had one of them cone filters (was an ebay special) on my YJ when it had the 4 cyl. it made no difference in power and in the end was not worth the hasle of putting it on

Josh_M
01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
If I want to run 31s or 32s could I just lift block the rear, and buy a "proper" front suspension lift kit ? Thanks for the help

HooliganXJ
01-29-2008, 09:23 PM
The cheap way to do it is with f-150 front coils and a lift block in the rear. Ride gets stiffer though as f-150 has a higher spring rate.will get you about 3 inches enough to clear 31s. Would go any bigger with the 2.5 I had one and they are okay on 31s 33s left it just gutless

Josh_M
01-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Alright, So which year f-150 coils ? Also, the entire shock/spring, or just the spring ? Thanks

HooliganXJ
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
as far as i know like early 90s as far as shock i have no idea ileft mine alone only going up the 3 inches

HooliganXJ
01-29-2008, 09:48 PM
sorry and as far as putting a cone filter on it I would just get a better flowing one and leave the airbox alone mud and water kill cone filters in no time

Taz Jeep
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
3 inches of lift for 31's if you want to use it.

I tried 32's with 3.5 inch lift and didn't even get home from the tire shop without knocking off my front flare :mad: .............. an angle grinder with a zip disc solved that problem, to run 33's you're gonna need atleast 4.5 inch lift and trimming.

Here's a link from when I trimmed my fenders ...........

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50042&highlight=tj+flares+xj

Josh_M
01-29-2008, 10:11 PM
3 inches of lift for 31's if you want to use it.

I tried 32's with 3.5 inch lift and didn't even get home from the tire shop without knocking off my front flare :mad: .............. an angle grinder with a zip disc solved that problem, to run 33's you're gonna need atleast 4.5 inch lift and trimming.

Here's a link from when I trimmed my fenders ...........

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50042&highlight=tj+flares+xj

I was eyeing up rustys fenders for an xj (TONS OF CLEARANCE !) But figured I could problably do it myself. Usually im stupid with things, so If need be when i can get larger tires, I'll take out the angle grinder :happy0045: Those TJ flares look awesome

godzuka
01-29-2008, 10:14 PM
get ahold of bryson at jeep thrills and he can hok you up 604 4655559

Josh_M
01-29-2008, 10:15 PM
get ahold of bryson at jeep thrills and he can hok you up 604 4655559

In a week and a half, ive only got 50 bucks right now

Josh_M
01-30-2008, 01:06 PM
One more thing, Where would you reccommend getting 31 or 32's from ? Would used at 80% or so be such a bad idea ?

Trailjunkie
02-02-2008, 08:58 PM
theres nothing wrong with used tires, 31s are common at 80 to 90 left. alot cheaper and will do you well just inspect them well. check on creigs list you can find the lift u need used or talk to b for new.see you out there!!

Josh_M
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
alright so ive decided on 2" coil spacers and blocks in the back, with 31's. Along the line im going to trim my fenders, and fab some custom bumpers. should be a fun summer project

nightcrawler
02-06-2008, 10:23 AM
IVE GOT THE SAME YEAR AND MOTOR I GOT A BUDJET BOOST FROM RUBICON EXPRESS 2IN SPACERS REAR ADD A LEAFS EXTENDED BRAKE LINE 4 SHOCKS IVE GOT 31S AND IT WAS LIKE 300 BUCKS

nightcrawler
02-06-2008, 10:24 AM
OH YEAH AND I GOT MY 31S FROM FOUNTIAN TIRE FOR JUST OVER 600 (TRAILBUSTERS)