PDA

View Full Version : warming the tranny?

yoda thrills
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
so there was a post by some one about cold weather nd warming ur truck or w.e.....can't clearly remeber
the jist of it was putting the tranny in 3rd nd the t-case in N...
my question is is there major negative affects from doing this???
or is it risk free...
thanks yall
cheers

lizard
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I really dont think a trans needs a warm up like the engine, just take it easy till your at operating temp

gavman
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I really dont think a trans needs a warm up like the engine, just take it easy till your at operating temp

I'm with stupid:D

They say to idle an auto for a wee bit though, but not for long[cheers]

nbrowser
01-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Yah idle an auto for a few moments....lets the fluid get up to pressure......just what an auto needs

sbags
01-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Been asking around up here in Whitehorse(Yukon) regarding warming an auto and manual trannies, and the locals say manuals are good to go after warming up the motor, BUT auto's need the extra time(we warm up for almost 10 minutes now at -20 or colder). Even then it shifts like a slug!!

Zibi
01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Mine shifts like a pig when it's cold which I imagine isn't terribly good for the tranny.

Domesticnightmare
01-28-2008, 11:50 PM
personally, i've found a steaming stream of my toxin filled urine is the cats ass when it comes to prime tranny operating temperatures. that makes me feel like going back to that church and singing "when i think about you i touch myself" for the angry man in the long black dress. now i must decide: pants, or holding cells!?

Mrs.Harleyfatboy
01-29-2008, 05:06 AM
personally, i've found a steaming stream of my toxin filled urine is the cats ass when it comes to prime tranny operating temperatures. that makes me feel like going back to that church and singing "when i think about you i touch myself" for the angry man in the long black dress. now i must decide: pants, or holding cells!?

[wtf]

FINGERS
01-29-2008, 06:06 AM
[wtf]

I WILL SECOND THAT-WTF??????

Toyquad
01-29-2008, 08:13 AM
warm engine up, leave tranny in neutral, i asked the question you are referring to. Mikey was kinda enough to remind me that with the tranny in neutral and clutch released, the input gear of the tranny still spins. this will turn the guts of the tranny, warming them up.

My tranny shifts like crap when its cold, but smooth as butter when its warm.

FZJ80
01-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I say padded cell for Mr Domestic!
And if your going to warm your truck up anyways why not do the trans, go for it.

Dirtybert
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM
i remember a time when i lived in calgary and my car trans froze! it took about 15min to get it out of 1st gear. and I had a block heater. I guess thats what i get for parking out side in a wind chill up to -40

yoda thrills
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
warm engine up, leave tranny in neutral, i asked the question you are referring to. Mikey was kinda enough to remind me that with the tranny in neutral and clutch released, the input gear of the tranny still spins. this will turn the guts of the tranny, warming them up.

My tranny shifts like crap when its cold, but smooth as butter when its warm.

yes sir
as duz mine omtimes it sticks like i'l be drivin nd tryin to shift into 2nd nd it simply wont let me, or i'll come to a stop in first nd it wont let me take out of 1st...?
and the same somtimes whn i reverse, i gotta like punch the stick to free it up, i just wanted to make sure i aint fuckin hit up
cheers boys

dirka dave
02-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I believe that everything need to warm up before the bearing clearances are to O.E.M. tolerances. I know that my 82 5speed feels like it has straight cut gears until it warms up and the power steering is also slugish until it warrms up. I also switch to 5/30 in the winter. Just my opinion.

lizard
02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I'd run synthetic in everything at those temps

try some in your manuals if your shiftings hard

Honky
02-01-2008, 10:09 AM
Here I thought you were trying to get a Tranny excited

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:gXhrXN9Xy2T_FM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3001654/2/istockphoto_3001654_sassy_tranny_pursed_lips.jpg