PDA

View Full Version : Damn noisy fuel pump

Mr Vic
01-17-2008, 05:48 PM
so I recently had the fuel tank swapped in my cherokee, the last one had a rust hole in it and was leaking gas..

no change to the fuel pump, it was swapped over and the fuel filter was changed at the same time. now the fuel pump hums as loud as an angle grinder at full RPM.. cant be good for the pump and most likely a sign it is on its way out...

anyone have a similar problem before? and yes before you ask the filter is in the right way :D

fuel pump damn expensive if new from the dealer around $800? and cant shell out that much cash right now, hoping for a better solution.

thanks for the help guys.

lizard
01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
louds not good . brothers was loud too , it eventually died

kootenaycat
01-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Sounds like the pump is in there wrong, possibly pushing down on the bottom? If a pump isn't isolated from it's mount, it will be really loud. Is the pump module o-ring the same as the old one? Other thing is a restriction in the pressure line. Can't think of anything else.

Mr Vic
01-18-2008, 07:43 AM
thanks for the tips Kootenaycat, i will check the o-ring, the "new" tank came from a 92 cherokee, mine is 93 so shouldnt be much if any difference in those parts..

going to look at it over the weekend

dirka dave
01-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Sounds like the pump is in there wrong, possibly pushing down on the bottom? If a pump isn't isolated from it's mount, it will be really loud. Is the pump module o-ring the same as the old one? Other thing is a restriction in the pressure line. Can't think of anything else.
Thats happened to me before too...
You could possibly run an aftermarket fuel pump.

Mr Vic
01-18-2008, 08:42 PM
driving home today, around 5:30 ish fuel pump packed it in and died. happened just around broadway and maryhill bypass.. no choice but to replace it now..

stoopid jeep go fuck yourself

Leithmc
01-19-2008, 07:34 AM
driving home today, around 5:30 ish fuel pump packed it in and died. happened just around broadway and maryhill bypass.. no choice but to replace it now..

stoopid jeep go fuck yourself

Hey now, Jeeps are people to ya know.

Mr Vic
01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
well I got the fuel pump installed today, was fairly easy.. now the cherokee wont start but seems to be unrelated to the fuel system.

when turning key to start, the starter or solenoid make alot of clicking sounds... i figure maybe the starter teeth and flywheel out of alignment.. so I removed starter, re installed. tried again, same sound... rotated engine a few cranks, still no go same loud click-click-click-click sound..

I gues its likely that the starter or its solenoid is dead? not too sure, i have a spare starter but its in New West and i am stuck in maple ridge .. doh!

HILLBILLY
01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
shitty deal

Taz Jeep
01-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I had the same loud humming when I had my pump replaced, took it back to the mechanic and he said it was normal :mad: took it to another place and they said the pump that was in there was a cheap aftermarket one, it's still running though after 2 years.

dirka dave
01-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Yea sound like the solenoid thats sucks.

Leithmc
01-23-2008, 08:22 AM
OK, This is definitely not a low battery right? Don't yell at me, I'm just askin.