PDA

View Full Version : What would you get??

sbags
01-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Got to get 3 SUV's for clients to do mild off-roading in. Need to stray from full size due to gas consumption and for easier extractions when stuck. Need to be 4 doors(4 people) and must be automatics for around $5000.00 or so each. Only mods will be 31.10-50-15 mud tires, good tow hooks, and maybe a rear lockers one day, but nothing else. Here is what I've gotten it down to.....ideas?

1) 90's Chev/GMC Blazer/Jimmy with the 4.3 six.

2) 90's Ford Exploder with the 4.0 six

3) Our 94 Nissan Pathfinder has been pretty good, with the 3.0 six....

4) and last resort Suzuki/Chev/GMC Sidekick/Tracker thingy....

Thanks for your inputs!!

Maelthra
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I've seen a pathfinder get pretty badly beat on and it keeps coming back for more.

youngun
01-17-2008, 01:38 AM
i find the pathfinder motors too hard to work on. to many hard places to get to on them. but thats me. I'm all about suzukis and toyotas so i would go with a 4dr 1.6L 16Valve Tracker. Decent tow hooks stock, clear 31's with some cheap lift and lockers are avalible..

pumpkin
01-17-2008, 07:37 AM
I'ld go with a jeep xj.

dirka dave
01-17-2008, 08:38 AM
I don't why no Toyotas on your list.... so I'll go with the next best thing, nissan. :)

Leithmc
01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I'ld go with a jeep xj.

[iagree]

youngun
01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
uni body ?

Apathy
01-17-2008, 09:21 AM
I've seen a pathfinder get pretty badly beat on and it keeps coming back for more.

agreed.

Only problem is the back seat of the pathy's are kinda small. but they get decent milage, 90 and newer had more powerfull engines.

An XJ would Be OK, but not my first choice.

toyota 4runner would be good, but hard to find in the price range you are looking at.

my .02

HILLBILLY
01-17-2008, 01:36 PM
agreed.

Only problem is the back seat of the pathy's are kinda small. but they get decent milage, 90 and newer had more powerfull engines.

An XJ would Be OK, but not my first choice.

toyota 4runner would be good, but hard to find in the price range you are looking at.

my .02

I'd agree. I'd go toy,jeep, pathfinder, and last exploder but I found they have trannys from '92-'94

kootenaycat
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I'ld go with a jeep xj.

Me too, easy to work on, and more capable then IFS. Mind you a stock 4runner sits as tall as an XJ with 4" and 31's. [16]

sobe
01-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Personally I like Suzuki. Between my wife and I we've had 4 -2dr Sidekicks, 1 - 4dr Tracker, 1 SJ410, and 1 Samurai. The 1.6l engine has lasted over 300 000km on 3 of the trackers without a rebuild (we're still working on the other 2) Hell, my wife's old sidekick had 380 something thousand km on it, never rebuilt and she sold it for $200 more than she was asking:dontknow:
I'm sold on Suzuki. Next I think I'd go with the Nissan or a Toyota. I'd steer clear of the domestic junk though. (especially the ford)

sbags
01-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Although I own a Yota pick-up, I thought the 4-Runner is too much $$$ and seem to rust more than the Pathfinders(can be a pain in the ass to work on too!). My truck is built way lighter than our Pathfinder in every way(even though it takes a shit kicking!!).

The XJ's seem to suffer lots of problems from what I have read and heard(but very capable when built). Would also like a truck with a frame...

I'm not too sure if a Suzuki with the 1.6 16V would have enough power for dragging 4 people and gear....

These rides need to AUTO'S, no manual trannies, and they need to be able to run 31's in stock form as none will be lifted or modified(maybe rear lockers one day). These suv's kinda need to be nice for the customer(s) too.

Thanks for all your inputs....keep em coming please!!![cheers]

toyon35s
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
there is cheap four runners out there you just have to look hard,thats the way i would go,but if not i would jump on the jeep[cheers]

nbrowser
01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm biased, XJ all the way..........as I said, I'm biased......

sobe
01-18-2008, 11:00 PM
What do you need them for? :dontknow: Just curious...

whazhappenin69
01-19-2008, 02:06 AM
My 2cents
from worst to best....

Blazers have week front ends and I think they are better left on the streets.

Exploders are cheap to buy but suffer from a week trans and many other quality problems.

Pathfinders are not cheap to buy or fix, great 4x4 but you'll want to blow the thing up the first time you have to work on it.

Trackers, Sidekicks are great in many ways and easy to work on, nothing bad to say about these other than the heaters suck.

xj's are very capeable stock and rate close to a toyota in my book.

Toyotas are expensive but awesome 4x4s, if you can find one that isn't riddled with cancer.

spit.fire.
01-19-2008, 10:41 AM
the blazer/jimmies is what i'd go with, i think the newer years came with lockers from factory (my 98zr2 had a stock eaton locker), they have tons of power, and can fit 31's on some depending on the bodystyle

jeeves
01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
consider 92 - 94 isuzu troopers with the dohc 3.2. LS models (ez to find) are fully loaded (heated seats/mirrors, etc) and usually have a good limited slip rear. Solid, quiet, roomy, often 1 owner, strong mechanicals, fit 32 inch tires stock, enough still around to get parts for pretty easily. Accepts most 6 lug alloys for a wider offset and better looks. Comfy daily driver and as capable as the other suggestions off-road. Troopers are usually overlooked, but means nice ones can be found for under 4 k though they sold for around 36 k new. Came in autos and 5 speeds.

sbags
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
It looks like I am down to Pathfinders or 4Runners... The Jeep XJ's are too small inside(drove a few) and although I like the boxy look of the Troopers, their motors seem to suffer problems as my Father in-law had one and gave him much grief(ie $$$$$$$). Wish I had the money for some E-350 Ford Quigley 4x4 vans with the 7.3.....