PDA

View Full Version : Tranny help

Spooner
01-16-2008, 07:20 PM
My 01 ram 1500 has stopped shifting into 2nd gear. Fluid is good. 1st reverse work it just wont shift from 1st to second. Any ideas on where to start. I heard that it could be a sensor. Is this true and if so where is it and how do I reset it?

ROBO
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
scan it then see

Spooner
01-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I did and got nothing. I was just told that it could be the throttle body in the tranny thats gone. I heard this from someone who owns the same truck and had the same problem. You would think it still would show a code or I am wrong? Sorry new to this crap so I dunno much.

muky
01-17-2008, 08:47 PM
My step dad had a similar problem with his 1500 (V-6) it would not shift worth shit , and would jump up and down through the gears when you walked on it trying to pass. Turns out it was all caused by a plugged catalytic converter. Changed the cat and it was like a new truck.

Spooner
01-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Mine doesnt shift up or down. Its in first and there she stays. Even before this happend it shifted fine there was no slipping good soild shifts.

Caribourob
01-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Check the ignition switch (yes, really) Had a chevy doing the same thing and it was the ignition switch.

Spooner
01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
How do I check that?

Caribourob
01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, first thing I would do is check ALL the fuses with a test light for power. Then open up the column and find ALL the wires going to the ignition switch and check them for power and for ground with the key turned to each function. Best thing would be a wiring diagram identifying the wires and what they are supposed to do.

Also remeber that the tranny relies on a lot of "unseen" electronics that can cause your problem. Have you changed anything recently? Added lights or stereo equipment.

Is the speedometer working, Tach working? If there's fluctuations in these is there a speed sensor on the rear axle? Check that.

How's the battery in the truck.
Check the linkage?

From what you have said it sounds more like an electrical problem than anything mechanical so research from that end and maybe you'll find a simple fix for it.

epic3
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Also remeber that the tranny relies on a lot of "unseen" electronics that can cause your problem. Have you changed anything recently? Added lights or stereo equipment.

If you have a remote starter and its not wired right it will cause all sorts of troubles for autos in chevs dodges and fords

Spooner
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys your giving me lots of good points i would never thought of. I havent added anything to it and it doesnt have a remote start. I had an alarm put in all most a year ago but thats it. I talked to a tranny shop and they said that it could really be anything. I have heard its the valve body, its a sensor, 2nd gear band is broken, to who knows its just pooched. Ill check the things you stated but it looks like I have to bite the bullet and take to someone who knows. I agree it definatly starting to sound electrical as the fuild seems good no shavings or burnt smell. Plus no codes.

Thanks again guys.
[cheers]