PDA

View Full Version : Unbolt the box on Ford 250 - Need help

Taxidermy
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I want to take the box off of the Ford 250.

It has propane and gas tanks underneath the frame.

I look for two hours and can't find the bolts on the frame that hold the box .

Does anyone know where these bolts would be?

What safety ideas should I know about when taking box off and the gas and propane fittings?

Once I have the box unbolted, how many people should I ask to help lift it off?

Thanks for all your help

longhorn
01-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Look inside the box from the top and you can see the bolts.
Then go under and look inside the frame you will see them.
The last box I took off I cut the heads off on the top with a grinder.
Boxes are heavy its nice to have 4 guys but Ive done it with 2 but its a grunt.

Punk in Drublic
01-13-2008, 08:08 PM
:s30x: grind em off from top.

Cwheeler
01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
you can try a torx socket on an impact first, tahts what I did with my Ranger box I dont know if the fullsize boxes use the same type of bolts or not, I got 4 out of 6 bolts out that way, 2 striped and I just cut those ones, also try going under the truck and soaking them in some liquid wrench a couple days before you plan on taking the box off.

nbrowser
01-13-2008, 10:56 PM
Taxi, take out the bedliner if any and you should at least 6 Torx head bolts, unscrew em and off comes box

Taxidermy
01-15-2008, 09:46 PM
thank you for all your ideas.

FU Toolbag
01-15-2008, 10:40 PM
There won't be any torx bolts. Just plain old carriage bolts. Your tanks are in the way of your back bolts. Just grind the tops off and then hammer them through the box. Take the bumper off as well. It's only a couple bolts and well worth it in ease of removal and reinstallation. Make sure you unbolt the fuel fillers from the filler door as well as there should be a clamp under the box holding the fill tubes. With the bumper off you can just put a couple jackstands under the back of the box, jack the front up and drive away, just make sure someone's watching for snags, at least that's how I do it solo.

Maelthra
01-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I just took the heads off with a grinder as others suggested, and I had my buddy's tow truck lift it off.

:D

Jroc
01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
THIS IS HOW YA DO IT!

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76005

parcy jones
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
yup. just grind off the top and reef the box up witha few people.

FU Toolbag
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
THIS IS HOW YA DO IT!

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76005

That might not work if he wants to put it back on.

Jrock, wasn't that new box from me?

jeepingpw
01-16-2008, 10:13 PM
The bolts will have the square shank (which is larger in diameter than the bolt) below the dome carrage bolt head.
If you just grind off the head, you'll have to pound the hell out of them to get them to go down & through the holes in the bottom of the cross channel.

Prob didn't explain it too well, but if you try to push the bolt down , you'll soon see what I mean.

FU Toolbag
01-16-2008, 10:15 PM
The bolts will have the square shank (which is larger in diameter than the bolt) below the dome carrage bolt head.
If you just grind off the head, you'll have to pound the hell out of them to get them to go down & through the holes in the bottom of the cross channel.

Prob didn't explain it too well, but if you try to push the bolt down , you'll soon see what I mean.

That's why you pop the heads and then lift the box up. You then have to cut the threaded section to ge them outathere.

regulate34
01-18-2008, 04:25 PM
dont kow how different a 250 is form a 150 but on my f-150 i got to all 6 bolts from the underside needed extentions and a ball joing extention and got them off but wd40 helped a lot

radman
01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
every time i have tried to salvage the bolts i ended up welding the heads to the box so the bolts would stop turning.