PDA

View Full Version : 87 Nissan king cab ??????

C.W.
01-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Are they good offroad rigs for trails and exploring? No real extreme stuff at least for now.

TWOZEROFOUR
01-10-2008, 08:46 PM
no, buy a Toyota and save your self the hassel

FU Toolbag
01-12-2008, 12:29 AM
no, buy a Toyota and save your self the hassel

[stupid]

No lift kits available, yes they are tough, but nothing like a toy. There's a reason you don't see many on the trails, but a ton'o'toy's

HILLBILLY
01-12-2008, 02:06 AM
if the price is right go for it they are very good on trails and superlift does make lift kits for them

norm
01-12-2008, 08:01 AM
If you don't wanna modify it they are o.k

4cyl pretty gutless
throttle body v6 not to good

Don't bother unless it's nearly free:dontknow:

FU Toolbag
01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
if the price is right go for it they are very good on trails and superlift does make lift kits for them

Yes, as well as a couple other companies, but only a couple inches and theye ain't cheap. But then again, you'll probably just do a sas with a toy axle cause it works.

C.W.
01-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanx guys, so far im getting the idea that rather than spend money on a nissan i may as well just put a running motor in my s15 jimmy and suffer with that. Or keep looking for a stronger rig.
Did i miss something or is this about right?

jeepingpw
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I've had a few different year Nissan pickups. Din't learn after the first one.

4 cyl are guttless & shitty milage. Buddies 22RE would leave me in the dust, & at the time my Chev 4x4 with a built 400SB got better milage.

5 speeds are shitty, bearing on the 5th gear/reverse gear shaft likes to go takeing the case with it.

hamsterman
01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
i had an 85 nissan pu on 35's with 283 chev carb and the only thing i broke was one u-joint and i replaced the water pump which only cost 35 bucks they are alot cheaper to repair then other imports and i beat the crap out of it every weekend and still got 4000 when it sold

Apathy
01-22-2008, 10:32 PM
wow, wish i sean this post before.
First of all BS, BS, oh and wait.. BS.

The nissan Z24 that came in that rig of those days (if its a 4banger) were not the best. agreed.

However, if its a V6, the only thing that will destroy them is a broken timing belt.. even that won't "kill" it, just a bit crippled.

There are lots of lifts out thee, rough country, calmini, superlift, trail master,
and i can lift it 2" for 50 bucks.
There are aftermarket lockers as well as factory LSD's for them.

I beat on mine for 10 years before i went SAS.. and for those of you who think the TBI V6 is not good, well.. its still busting D44 alloys at 345K milles.

C.W.
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Well it is the z24 4cyl 5spd and price was low enough that i can beat on it and even if it only lasts a month or two it pays for it self. I had decided against it but since the drop in price i grabbed it as i think after checking it out in person it will probly be much better than the 2.8L s15 jimmy that i blew up already. Not sure if i will keep it but i'll decide that when i get the chance to go play with it.
Thanks for the replies and if anyone can help point out some things i can do to help it out on the trails it would be appreciated.

Pathy were you thinking crank up the torsion bars and add blocks for $50?

Apathy
01-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Well it is the z24 4cyl 5spd and price was low enough that i can beat on it and even if it only lasts a month or two it pays for it self. I had decided against it but since the drop in price i grabbed it as i think after checking it out in person it will probly be much better than the 2.8L s15 jimmy that i blew up already. Not sure if i will keep it but i'll decide that when i get the chance to go play with it.
Thanks for the replies and if anyone can help point out some things i can do to help it out on the trails it would be appreciated.

Pathy were you thinking crank up the torsion bars and add blocks for $50?

Yup. Just don't crank too much. You might only get 1.5" up front.. but that can be cured by a set of ruff country UCA's.. stay away from the Ball joint spacers.
and I think they are sprung under.....(i think) so shackles. but either way.. that thing will take an ass woooping.. just take care of the steering and make yourself an idler arm brace (piece of angle and a piece of flat bar)

OH.. BTW, make sure to overservice your tranny by about 1 quart. There is a TSB about it

C.W.
01-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Thats helpful. The diff is under the springs so i could use blocks. The guy i got it from said up to 3" on the front by cranking it, you think thats a little more than it should be able to handle?

Apathy
01-23-2008, 09:14 AM
You will not get 3" reliably out of the front. What happens is you move them up so far, you have no Down travel. Also when you crank too much your tires will do this.. top to bottom / \. Thats why you need longer UCA's.

Oh and as far as the post about 5th gear bearing.. thats because the oil fill plug is too low.. needs to be serviced 1" above. this is the aditional Quart i was speaking of.

norm
01-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I'll agree with ya that they are a strong,reliable engine.
It's just that they are expensive to replace injectors which isn't as much a problem on the VG30E,oh and drilling manifold studs is always a pleasant job.
Not to mention the fuel consumption to power ratio.

But like I said they will take a beating for a long time[cheers]

500grhollowpoint
01-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Run away. Ugly gutless unreliable drivetrain...

Apathy
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Run away. Ugly gutless unreliable drivetrain...

dood, what are you smokeing?

Please do not post BS. answer questions that were asked.
if all you can say is ugly gutless unreliable.. well that is FALSE, and not helpful.

The Z24 4 banger is the only problem. the KA24 is OK. They were just underpowered.
The 5 speed tranny's and T-cases are bulletproof, so is the rear end (comparable to a ford 9")

the only week point is the front steering and CV shafts. Don't lock the front and take care of your steering.. thats all.

You have to look at whats out there. People say toyota all day long.. but riddle me this batman.
What engine did toyota put out in the late 80's that is comparable to the VG30?..............

I'll wait for that answer all day long.. cuase they didn't.. they had the 4 banger wich was a good motor, but the toyota 3.0 was a piece of garbage.. it got a little better with the 3.4 but not much..

yes, i get defensive about nissans, cuase i've owned many and they are the only vehicles i've ever had that never gave me problems.

500grhollowpoint
01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Well I had a 4cyl (I have owned 2 actually)and the whole front wheel....tire, rim, and brakes.....flew off. At 80+km's. And you damn near had to put the think in low to get up a steep highway. Less that 10 km's per hour, 1st gear by the top of the snowshed on the coq. It rattled like a tin can. Dented if you leaned on it. And I had a nice one. Totally rust free, low k's. Mine was probably 5 years old at the time. Had all sorts of ignition problems with it. Didn't it have 2 coils and dual spark plugs? What a PITA.And I eventually blew the motor in it. The other one I had got stuck in reverse every time you gave it gas in reverse. What a POS. I evetually left it in a parking lot out of utter frustration and came back 2 days later and someone had done me the favor of smashing the crap out of it, looked like with a full size with a bush bar.

Ugly? for sure

Gutless? Understatement.

Unreliable? Both that I had were broken more than running. Both also less than 8 years old at the time.

Am I being helpfull? I think so. If they were garbage 10 years ago any that are still around......well, do the math.

Get a real truck and quit trying to stick up for these POS trucks. Drive a new SD for a while....might change your opinion.

dirka dave
01-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Both are good rigs, (Toyota, Nissan) I've seen Nissans do some amazing things,stock they are just as reliable as a stock Toyota. In MY opinion Toyotas are cheaper and easier to modify. If you have the money and/or time Nissans are a good platform to build off or too.
Just my opinion.[cheers]

Apathy
01-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Well I had a 4cyl (I have owned 2 actually)and the whole front wheel....tire, rim, and brakes.....flew off. At 80+km's. And you damn near had to put the think in low to get up a steep highway. Less that 10 km's per hour, 1st gear by the top of the snowshed on the coq. It rattled like a tin can. Dented if you leaned on it. And I had a nice one. Totally rust free, low k's. Mine was probably 5 years old at the time. Had all sorts of ignition problems with it. Didn't it have 2 coils and dual spark plugs? What a PITA.And I eventually blew the motor in it. The other one I had got stuck in reverse every time you gave it gas in reverse. What a POS. I evetually left it in a parking lot out of utter frustration and came back 2 days later and someone had done me the favor of smashing the crap out of it, looked like with a full size with a bush bar.

Ugly? for sure

Gutless? Understatement.

Unreliable? Both that I had were broken more than running. Both also less than 8 years old at the time.

Am I being helpfull? I think so. If they were garbage 10 years ago any that are still around......well, do the math.

Get a real truck and quit trying to stick up for these POS trucks. Drive a new SD for a while....might change your opinion.

Um.. again..
Ugly is a mater of opinion
Gutless,, i said the Z24 was not a good engine. and yes they were plagued with electrical issues.. thats why it was no longer available after 90.

Unreliable? your kidding right? i've had mine for 14 years. never left me stranded.

the tranny problem as you stated.. well, nissan fessed up to that and told us how to fix it.. there is a TSB about it.

Whats this about go get a SD?.. um, i have one..
at present i have a 75 highboy, a 87 nissan pathfinder, and a 2002 superduty. (the super duty has cost me more in the 6 months i've owned it than the nissan has in 14 years)

if you think they are unreliable.. you need to bring your jeep along wheeling with me.

Oh and by your statments, you must have had a z24 4 banger backed by an auto.. ya they were POS.

in anycase..Dirka hit the nail on the head.

epic3
01-23-2008, 04:27 PM
No need to get all in a huff over opinions now boys not every vehicle even the same moldels are created equally they were assembled by different hands at different times and with differing levels of alcohol in the alcoholic workers

Apathy
01-23-2008, 04:29 PM
your right phil.... so take your POS scout and run.

C.W.
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow did this thread ever change in the last two days.
My original question was just for opinions on them as offroad light trail rigs. Just for exploring some of the trails mainly in the okanagan area. Also comparing it to my s15 jimmy with a 2.8L.
Anyway it was cheap so i bought it, now im just looking for inexpensive things to do just to add to reliability and capability.

epic3
01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
your right phil.... so take your POS scout and run.

I'll take my POS scout and run it up your ass beatch!!!!

Of course you'll have to give me a while its not done yet:D

ray
01-24-2008, 02:16 AM
I'll take my POS scout and run it up your ass beatch!!!!

Of course you'll have to give me a while its not done yet:D

i dont think u could run it up there its to weak

mabey with NOS[36]

hint hint put some nos in it

Pegleg
01-26-2008, 12:20 AM
had my p/u for 12 years,never left me anywhere,always got home

epic3
01-26-2008, 12:39 AM
i dont think u could run it up there its to weak

mabey with NOS[36]

hint hint put some nos in it

Hahaha na its a farm implement I'm plumbin in a 50 shot of ether[36]

fhorsley
01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
I have both a old Toyota and an old Nissan. The nissan is a v6 and has 250,000 kms it is still sunning well (better than the toyota) lots of power, but working on it is a total pain in the ass, tight spaces and many wires, hoses and junk in the way. Parts are expensive (where I live) injectors are extremely high priced. I would much rather offroad the toyota for ease of repairs and aftermarket parts.

C.W.
01-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I have both a old Toyota and an old Nissan. The nissan is a v6 and has 250,000 kms it is still sunning well (better than the toyota) lots of power, but working on it is a total pain in the ass, tight spaces and many wires, hoses and junk in the way. Parts are expensive (where I live) injectors are extremely high priced. I would much rather offroad the toyota for ease of repairs and aftermarket parts.
Thanks for the reply, im in Penticton so i know what you mean about the cost of parts around here. I have the tbi z24 4cyl so im hoping its not as expensive.
I know that a solid axle truck would be more durable but i havn't found many that are within my budget that i can take my kids with me. I will be upgrading when i get the chance.

halfwaythere
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I have my frankenstien of a nissan and "had" a 90 pathfinder. both trucks can take a shit kicking. i tried my hardest to break the 94 hardbody before modifying the shit outa it, jumping it and everything. i had the torsion bars cranked and shackled in the rear, squeezed 33" boggers on it. I was going everywhere all the big rigs were going. both vehicles had the vg30 and were bullet proof. now that i took the hardbody off the frame and went fullsize underneath and more power it's unstopable. and for the pathfinder it too stock was unbelievable. I bagged the shit outa it until last weekend i was in a serious accident. i was cut off on the highway, ended up hitting huge boulders at 80 km and you know what haha all that was fucked was the indshield was smashed in 2 side windows, and i ended up avoiding a roll over by hitting the rocks straight on breaking the shaft out of the steering box in half and breaking hte rear end free from the vehicle... but heres something for you... I was still able to move it forward and back... ICBC is the reason why i can't fix it up haha. Nissan for LIFE!

C.W.
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Well ive finally had a few chances to wheel mine and it goes almost anywhere. It has suprised the heck outta me. [36]Cant really tell in this pic but i actually slid off the side of this the first time :o Dam wet snow.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/CWRACING/nissanrockclimb.jpg

Apathy
02-13-2008, 10:19 AM
oh, they'll take a shit kicking

C.W.
02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Now im just looking into lift options. :dontknow:

Apathy
02-14-2008, 08:05 AM
get some rough country UCA, and block the rear.. cheapest thing to do.

C.W.
02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
What are the UCA's worth?

Apathy
02-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I wanna say 300 bucks or htere abouts.
the whole trick to the nissan ifs lifts, is all you REALLY need are the UCAs

C.W.
02-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Any suggestions on the best place to get them around here?

Apathy
02-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry buddy, don't know where to get them in canada.. anybody who sells rough country or you can get some calmini ones shipped up.