PDA

View Full Version : Batts & alts ????

Tunabomber
01-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Need more power

have a 2 questions

1. if i upgrade my alt to a slightly more powerfull one are their any other mods that have to be done. ????

2. im running a optima blue batt right now but am wondering if i want to add another batt does it have to be the blue deep cycle like the one i have or can i use a blue&yellow or red top also.

input :dontknow:

epic3
01-09-2008, 11:43 PM
supposed to be the same but I've neber ran the same and I've never had a problem but I do use an isolator so that may be why.
I think in your jeep there is room under your battery to make a tray for a second

factor
01-10-2008, 06:49 AM
so your running one deep cycle right now?

Caribourob
01-10-2008, 07:09 AM
I ran 2 alternators and 2 batteries in my Toyota, stock 60 amp and a GM 90 amp. I had all the stock items (Headlights, blower fan, ignition, etc) on the stock system and all the accessorries (Lights, stereo, etc) on a completely seperate, isolated system with a switch controlled solenoid to connect the 2 if needed. Worked really well. I used the A/C drive pulley and compressor mounting points to make it all work.

You don't need to modify anything just be sure you get an Alternator with the internal voltage regulator and if you are going to pull more amps from what you have now you'll need to run a bigger "hot" cable from the alternator to the Battery and upsize the fusible link (always use a fusible link.)

Hope this helps

Tunabomber
01-10-2008, 08:05 AM
so your running one deep cycle right now?

yup

dirka dave
01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
I run a red top off my stock alt. (45-50amps).
I also run a Yellow top which is completely isolated from the charging system via a continuous duty solenoid. I have run hi-output alternators and fancy batt. isolators but I have found that simple is better.
I agree that larger guage wires are needed. (I use 01) and that goes for the pos and neg and the +12v from the alternator.
What you should do is find out how much current (amps) you need to run your truck with all your stuff running.
Deep cycle batts. like to be totally discharged and then recharged where as "normal" batts. like to remain charged.
If you just want more output from an alternator I would suggest the GM 21-si
"one wire" internally regulated. I belive they come with up to 120amps.
Just remember that most batts like a charge rate of about 15-25 amps and a deep cycle like about 5-10amps.
Hope this helps. [cheers]

dirka dave
01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
sorry about the 2nd question...
blue top - marine deepcycle. does not need to be vented.
Yellow top - standard deepcycle same specs. as blue. needs to be vented.

redline
01-10-2008, 08:43 AM
double postin post whore

epic3
01-10-2008, 10:29 AM
"I also run a Yellow top which is completely isolated from the charging system via a continuous duty solenoid"

Solenoids ONLY isolate the batteries when its not energized when it is energized the batteries are parralled together via the solenoid

The ONLY way to isolate the batteries is by means of an diode bank (isolator) or dual alt settup.