PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on late 80's mazda B2600 4x4

C.W.
01-04-2008, 04:03 AM
I looked at one yesterday with a body lift, 31's, 5spd and a not running 2.6L. He thinks the timing chain went. Needs CV axles as well. The body isnt rotten but does have some dings.
How are these trucks for generally mild offroad stuff?
How durable are they?
Also how hard to find a good 2.6 or what is an easy swap in its place?

Kinslayer
01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, IFS with a toasted motor.. i'd probably offer 100 bucks, assuming I wanted a mazda value pickup to begin with.

Apathy
01-04-2008, 09:59 AM
the 2.6 is a good motor, other than that, i have no opinion

BrentG
01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
did you check the frame? late 80's mazdas had wonderful frames...they would offer extensive flex just behind the cab

Toyquad
01-04-2008, 10:25 AM
yup....IFS with brlwon motor...... not worth much at all really

TWOZEROFOUR
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
my buddie in kamloops has a mint b2600 runs drives head gasket leaks,, cd player ac all that shit,, ext cab,, have it for 500.. or less

he bought it with intention of wheelin with me,, lasted a few logging roads at best

kootenaycat
01-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Known for bad PCM's, other wise engines are strong.

C.W.
01-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I appreciate these opinions and the info as i am not too familiar with import stuff.
Between the mazda or the 85 s15 jimmy that i currently have, which would be the better starting point?

spit.fire.
01-04-2008, 09:05 PM
the jimmy

Cheeky
01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I appreciate these opinions and the info as i am not too familiar with import stuff.
Between the mazda or the 85 s15 jimmy that i currently have, which would be the better starting point?

honestly,prob niether,you'd be sinking a ton of $$$ into both of those as you grow into the sport,if you are just into exploring and camping,go for a 4-runner or toyota of some sort,into doing some harder 4x4ing,look for sumting with a solid front axel,and go from there....there are plenty of people to spend a ton-o-cash converting from ifs down the road when they want more:confused:
Take a good look at where ya want to be in even a year and go from there,but I will tell ya this sport-hobby is is very addicting[36] [36]

C.W.
01-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I am learning very quickly how addicting it can be. So far i have just been exploring since i am new to the province, it has been fun but there has been places i wanted to go that i just dont feel comfortable tryin to get through with the jimmy. The 2.8L is getting tired in it as well so I know im gonna be dropping some cash on something and figure i should find out whats worth following up on.
I have a couple late 70's GM 1/2ton's available too me as well, one is very cheap but does have an outstanding V.I on it. Wont take much work to pass, but not sure if they will serve my needs either. Biggest thing is my kids like to come with me quite a bit so a regular cab p/u is almost useless to me.
Sorry for the long post and i look forward to other opinions and/or suggestions. :)

Kinslayer
01-05-2008, 12:03 AM
chevys are good platforms for big tires, however to run bigger than say 35's you'll want beefier axles than 1/2 ton..and with a fullsize 35's is where ya start. Honestly a 4runner (ugh) or a Cherokee would suit your needs quite well.. I'd personally suggest the Cherokee because it's not sagged out in the rear from the factory and doesn't run IFS in the front, but i'm not a Toyota zealot.

C.W.
01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
I just missed out on a cherokee at xmas. Couldnt get ahold of the guy and he sold it xmas eve. So that put me back on the hunt.

Kinslayer
01-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Lots of XJs running around for sale, and cheap too. Go with a 4L (not 4.2) and look out for rusty floors. Other than that..try to get a D44 rear, but you probably wont.

C.W.
01-05-2008, 12:29 AM
How are the 95 cherokee's with the v8? A friend of mine might be grabbing one if i want it.

Kinslayer
01-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Cherokee or GRAND cherokee? V8s are always good, but I prefer the regular XJ and 4L

kootenaycat
01-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Stick with the Cherokee XJ with a 4.0, H.O. even better. The V-8 is a pig on gas and harder to work on, pretty tight in there.

C.W.
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Are they still a straight axle rig in 95?

lornix
01-05-2008, 03:32 AM
Are they still a straight axle rig in 95?

Yup, all XJs have solid front axles. Good luck finding one with a D44 rear, but the D35 will serve you well if you are not too throttle-happy and stick to 31"-32" tires (lifted of course :D). I love my XJ, the thing's friggen tough and never leaves me stranded. I take it on some pretty rough crap. Overheard ... "How the hell did he get in here with open diffs!? laugh, laugh, laugh ... How the hell is he gonna get out!? laugh, laugh laugh."

My XJ stays healthy on a diet of fresh u-joints garnered with seasoned tie rod ends and topped with a balsamic 75W90 vinaigrette. I also recommend supplemental roughage such as a selection of fuses, lug nuts, and light bulbs. The beverage of choice is anti-freeze. E-brakes don't exist ... it's a myth that they do.

Oh yeah the Mazda ... dooood run! I looked at a few of these years back and they just didn't seem sturdy to me at all.

Taxidermy
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM
:Dnissan pathfinder [36][36] big f-250

Kinslayer
01-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Yup, all XJs have solid front axles. Good luck finding one with a D44 rear, but the D35 will serve you well if you are not too throttle-happy and stick to 31"-32" tires (lifted of course :D). I love my XJ, the thing's friggen tough and never leaves me stranded. I take it on some pretty rough crap. Overheard ... "How the hell did he get in here with open diffs!? laugh, laugh, laugh ... How the hell is he gonna get out!? laugh, laugh laugh."

My XJ stays healthy on a diet of fresh u-joints garnered with seasoned tie rod ends and topped with a balsamic 75W90 vinaigrette. I also recommend supplemental roughage such as a selection of fuses, lug nuts, and light bulbs. The beverage of choice is anti-freeze. E-brakes don't exist ... it's a myth that they do.

Oh yeah the Mazda ... dooood run! I looked at a few of these years back and they just didn't seem sturdy to me at all.

Yeah, there are guys who roll 35s on the stock 30/35 combo with decent results..they are usually YJs though. I run 30 front and d44 rear, my e-brake works, but I think that's because of the rear disc set up... although it COULD work better. My 32s are almost 33s, and people look at me sideways when I get into strange places with ease.. mostly because my tires arn't 15 inches wide - that's another strategy to not blow up your axles, skinny means less weight/momentum...and you don't have to buy giant fender flares.

Yeah, the d44 rear is a tough find, but it was in a few factory applications, XJ and MJ from late 80s.. usually are looking at paying some money for it though..not as much as if you wanted a front D44 from a wagoneer however.

arjan
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I was always under the impression the B2600 where the last good mazda trucks. I know people who hung on to them for a long time because they didn't want a re badged ranger.
The 2.6 is a Mitsu motor by the way, the B2200 (2 wheel drive) had Mazda motors.
Personally I always liked the way the looked, especially the extended cab versions.

lornix
01-05-2008, 10:24 PM
My 32s are almost 33s, and people look at me sideways when I get into strange places with ease.. mostly because my tires arn't 15 inches wide - that's another strategy to not blow up your axles, skinny means less weight/momentum...and you don't have to buy giant fender flares.

Good point. I prefer the 11.5 they seem to work well for me. Next set is 32x11.5 Kumho KL71s.

C.W.
01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Well im looking into a couple different possible deals on cherokees, i definately need to do something my jimmy sux, gets high centered too easy.

HILLBILLY
01-06-2008, 02:29 PM
yeah go with a jeep

C.W.
01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Any opinions on Dodge ramchargers?