PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Odometer Reading On 07 Silverado?

imtheboobman
01-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Hey - boobmans wife here....

My parents leased my brother an 07 Silverado. Needless to say, he doesnt take care of his vehicles. The tranny went out of it yesterday, although I do not know the exact cause.

Now that his truck in in the shop, it apprears that he has put 61,000 kms on it since getting it last year. The lease has a 60,000 km maximum, and there are 2 years remaining.

When my brother was called on this, he said that when the tranny went, his odometer went crazy and put on all the extra kms.

I call bs - but has anyone ever heard of this happening? Is it even possible?

I don't want to see my parents getting taken advantage of any more, but they seem to be believing this story. Thanks for ANY help on this matter.

Kristal

ManDown
01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
lol what was the odometer reading before it went in?

kootenaycat
01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
In my 20 years as a mechanic, never have I seen an ODO rack up miles faster then actual. Even if he put wheel barrow tires on it I doubt it would rack up the miles as fast as he is claiming.

Drug runner? :dontknow: :D

nbrowser
01-03-2008, 09:30 PM
The odometer on that truck is digital, it's powered by a vehicle speed seonsor in the trans/transfer case output, that tells the computer how fast it goes, now the automakers know that sometimes a computer goes haywire so they make the cluster itself remember how far the thing has gone, very very hard to mess with it actually I'd look at things in the truck to indicate mileage like pedal pad wear.......the brake rotors if still stock would look like hell, tires would be well worn etc. etc. look around the truck for visual indicators.......if still in doubt....take it a good shop not the dealer for a lookover.....

epic3
01-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Jeeze if he's lyin that means he's drivin about 170km's per day every day his fuel bill would be enourmous

Growly Gorilla
01-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm a GM Tech and I'd say BULLSHIT!
Your parents better see if they can get out of the lease or find a way to make him pay.