PDA

View Full Version : 1996 ford f350 diesel

Timebandit
01-01-2008, 10:00 AM
happy new year all i was just wonder how hard it is to change the injestors my dad has the truck and he was told that 2 of them are weak my wife and i are driving the truck now and we fulled both tanks and we 650 k for both tank he has had the wiring replaced and glow plug. so i was wondering if it was somthing i could change in my driveway with some hand tool or do i need special tool to do the job hope someone can help me

nbrowser
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd recommend a professional diesel mechanic.....just sayin

Timebandit
01-01-2008, 12:14 PM
do you recommend one

nbrowser
01-01-2008, 12:38 PM
No one in particular, I work in a shop myself and when we get diesels in for more than just an oil change, we farm the work out. No one in our shop has the specialized tools to take care of some things on the engines.....just crack the Yellow pages open and find a reputable shop that can handle this kind of work. Just my opinion.

Timebandit
01-01-2008, 01:22 PM
ok i will let him know that

jakerngr
01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
look up PDR

78bronco
01-02-2008, 01:06 PM
yup PDR in port kells

Timebandit
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
ok thanx guy

Trooper
01-02-2008, 04:46 PM
if you can change a spark plug you can change a injector. If you kow what ones are leaking. Take them out and have them all tested. You will need injector sockets. You tried injector cleaner or atf yet? I dont know about fords but hino, toyota and cummins injectors are super easy to change out. What colour is the smoke? Usually white is condensed deisel from poor injector timing or to cold. Is it a hard to start? Does it put out a huge amount of soot from idle?

Timebandit
01-02-2008, 07:29 PM
no we do not know what injectors are weak the smoke is light black if it dose not get plug in it will not start untill u jump start it i dont think it put out a lot of soot

FU Toolbag
01-03-2008, 09:14 PM
if you can change a spark plug you can change a injector. If you kow what ones are leaking. Take them out and have them all tested. You will need injector sockets. You tried injector cleaner or atf yet? I dont know about fords but hino, toyota and cummins injectors are super easy to change out. What colour is the smoke? Usually white is condensed deisel from poor injector timing or to cold. Is it a hard to start? Does it put out a huge amount of soot from idle?

hino, toyota and cummins are night and day different from the ford ones in 96 powerstrokes. You have to pull the valve covers, pull half the engine wiring harness and then use a specialty socket to pull them out. It can be done in the driveway, but concidering the amount of work ect, I'ld send it to a pro.

sj-x 500
01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
HAHAHA!

farm it out man, the gasket is like 100 bucksif you fuck it up, since the harness passes through it, the injectors can be in the neighbour hood of 750 *a few years ago*

DO NOT RUN ATF! atf contains friction modifiers that help the clutch packs to grip. why'd you want that in your fuel, trying to make injectors stick?

also, get it scanned before you get too far into this, powerstrokes are hard on engine position sensors, causes all kinds of problems.

nonhighwayservice
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
no we do not know what injectors are weak the smoke is light black if it dose not get plug in it will not start untill u jump start it i dont think it put out a lot of sootglow plugs, or the glow plug timer

blacker_69
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
no compression.......... but she'd smoke like bastard

glow plug relays
the 7.3 are alright to do,just be lucky you dont have a 6.4 or a 6.0l those are fun