PDA

View Full Version : Trans swaps?

bakelite
12-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Found some info but not completely sure....will an XJ AX-15 bolt into a YJ with a BA tranny? 4.0 to 4.2....same block isn't it? Thanks. [cheers]

In The Zone
12-30-2007, 10:01 AM
it will but then u need a matching t case due to spline count issues

Always broke
12-30-2007, 11:33 AM
I have a tranny and tcase for you if you need it joe out of a YJ 91 i think

Nutbar
12-30-2007, 01:00 PM
You can swap an AX15 for a Peugeot BA10/5 . . . BUT . . . it takes a few more parts . . .
#1 you need a 23 spline 231 Tcase or at least the input shaft for one
#2 you need the AX15 skid plate and tranny mount bracket
#3 you need both the transmission shifter and the entire Tcase shifter assembly

you will need the trans with bellhousing and possibly clutch master and slave, 87-93 uses internal slaves, 94 and up uses external slaves, 87-91 uses aluminum clutch master cylinders, 92 and up use plastic masters, the internal slaves can be attached to either the plastic or aluminum masters you just need the right line for the plastic masters the external slaves will ONLY attach to the plastic masters.

The driveshafts are close enough to work

And the XJ AX15 IS NOT a direct replacement for a YJ you can use the XJ trans but you have to change the rear extension housing to the YJ one the Tcase is "clocked" differently on the YJ and the XJ

bakelite
12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys. Nothing is simple eh. lol [cheers]

Trouble up here is there are no yj's for parts, all the wreckers have xj's...wonder why?:dontknow: One day I will actually have my Jeep running...honest. :o Thanks for the help and info.