PDA

View Full Version : stock Y steer gear vs. knuckle to knuckle?

white
12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Its time to beaf up the steering on my xj.
Most, if not all hd aftermarket gear keeps the y geometry, which I know wears hard on your tires.
I'm thinking of going custom on this one, but first...
DOES ANYONE HAVE THOUGHTS ON WHY OEM IS Y, AND WHETHER IT SHOULD STAY Y AT 8" OF LIFT... PROS AND CONS.
no doubt this is a hot topic, so let em rip.
cheers.

StinkFinger
12-26-2007, 05:27 PM
they do it caus its cheeper theres less mateial used and on a flat system its ok anny amount of lift and it should be replaced

white
12-26-2007, 06:11 PM
they do it caus its cheeper theres less mateial used and on a flat system its ok anny amount of lift and it should be replaced

roger that.
so, replaced as in wheel to wheel tie rod right?
still wondering why the aftermarket gear like currie and rustys is the same linkage, just heavier.

StinkFinger
12-26-2007, 10:26 PM
becaus they can sell pices of it insted of the whole kit

Nutbar
12-27-2007, 12:45 AM
You run into a couple of problems trying to do a traditional set up

#1 - you actually have to do an inverted T link set (tie rod from knuckle to knuckle and drag link from strg box to tie rod) as the knuckles only have provision for one TRE each

#2 - is clearance the coil perches sway bar mounts and strg stabilizer mount all stick out a little to far to install a straight tie rod from knuckle to knuckle which it has to be a straight tie rod in an inverted T set up

I have already done this on my own comanche it was a while ago but I think my clearances were also a little worse as I did a tie rod flip as well

here is a couple of pics sorta[1b] http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85412

I now run no sway bar and the stabilizer mount is modified and the coil buckets are clearanced

northfacetraveller
12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I have 9" of lift in my cherokee and i opted for Teraflex 1 tonne Hi - Steer setup and it works really well.... Includes a new Pass side Knuckle, Tie Rod and Drag Link. The tie rod ends are HUGE! and offer quite a bit of movement.. Hope that helps

white
12-28-2007, 11:14 PM
You run into a couple of problems trying to do a traditional set up

#1 - you actually have to do an inverted T link set (tie rod from knuckle to knuckle and drag link from strg box to tie rod) as the knuckles only have provision for one TRE each

#2 - is clearance the coil perches sway bar mounts and strg stabilizer mount all stick out a little to far to install a straight tie rod from knuckle to knuckle which it has to be a straight tie rod in an inverted T set up

I have already done this on my own comanche it was a while ago but I think my clearances were also a little worse as I did a tie rod flip as well

here is a couple of pics sorta[1b] http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85412

I now run no sway bar and the stabilizer mount is modified and the coil buckets are clearanced

Nice fix.
I have noticed what you've noted as well. bitch eh.
what about bending the tie rod away from ea. coil at ea. end? would it have too much play when the pitman pushes the drag link back and forth... or should I say up and down??? feel like building a full scale model of this... unless you can just tell me thats stupid.

white
12-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I have 9" of lift in my cherokee and i opted for Teraflex 1 tonne Hi - Steer setup and it works really well.... Includes a new Pass side Knuckle, Tie Rod and Drag Link. The tie rod ends are HUGE! and offer quite a bit of movement.. Hope that helps

Just looked into this setup, I didn't know anyone did a knuckle fo rthe d30. The knuckle put the tie rod out past the coils and swaybar mounts then? WHAT ABOUT BUMP STEER? IS YOU TRAC BAR AT STOCK MOUNTING LOCATIONS? cheers.

jeepxj89
12-29-2007, 03:19 PM
ive got 8 " lift with a hp 44 and inverted t steering with the tie rod flipped. only thing ive noticed is that the tie rod seems to "rock" when steered from left to right or vice versa

Nutbar
12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Nice fix.
I have noticed what you've noted as well. bitch eh.
what about bending the tie rod away from ea. coil at ea. end? would it have too much play when the pitman pushes the drag link back and forth... or should I say up and down??? feel like building a full scale model of this... unless you can just tell me thats stupid.

In a moment of brain lapse I tried to bend the tie rod slighty for clearance and with the inverted T setup the drag link wanted to twist the tie rod up and down to much and resulted in very wandery sloppy steering

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just looked into this setup, I didn't know anyone did a knuckle fo rthe d30. The knuckle put the tie rod out past the coils and swaybar mounts then? WHAT ABOUT BUMP STEER? IS YOU TRAC BAR AT STOCK MOUNTING LOCATIONS? cheers.Yesterday 11:14 PM

you can move the drag link and trac bar at slightly different angles and get away with it but the tera knuckle and any other type of high steer is going to be to much of a change and will require relocating the trac bar as well

we have also come up with a high steer and brake upgrade for the jeep D30 using some Chrysler components, give BIGB a pm if you're interested

white
01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
you've got my attention. I'll pm bigb... but bigb alown doesn't seem to work, full name?

killer toy
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
he changed his namt to just "B" [cheers]

Nutbar
01-15-2008, 05:36 AM
yup sorry Bryson is now just B on the board

white
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
tried "b, didn't know what I was talking about... Is his pic a guy with a bogger?