PDA

View Full Version : Front Shaft issue.

RUNTOTHEHILLS
12-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Im just puttin the last peices to the SAS together. Just got the front drive shaft back from getting lengthened on Friday. Installed it today and went to drive up the driveway and nothin but clunks and bangs. Its a 91 P/U and the old shaft had small mounting holes and the T case flange had big. I took the flange off and placed the shaft on the flange on the vice and drilled new holes in the flange. When i turn the shaft with my hand in neutral t feels smooth. One little sticky section but nothing to be conserned about i dont think. I put it in the air on stnads off all wheels and ran it. Major clunking, sounding like its commin from the joints near the tcase. When i speed up the throttle it goes away and runs smooth. Slow back down and instantly clunks again, bad enough that it shakes the whole truck and moves the t-case. ????

toyon35s
12-16-2007, 04:07 PM
try putting taperre shims under the front diff,anddrop your trasfercase 1/2inhes,sounds like your drive shaft is binding,try it out,with doing this it should make your drive shaft angle good[cheers]

RUNTOTHEHILLS
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Its its an angle issue why not bind when i turn it by hand? Put some shims on my tranny cross member to drop it? And some wedged shims to increase the pinion angle of the axle? correct?

Chev4.3
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
how high is the truck?

toyon35s
12-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Its its an angle issue why not bind when i turn it by hand? Put some shims on my tranny cross member to drop it? And some wedged shims to increase the pinion angle of the axle? correct?

it wont bind when you turn by hand because theres no tork on it,but ya shims work wonders,i have 8 inch sus lift and no binding prob at all,after shims[cheers]

RUNTOTHEHILLS
12-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Where'd ya get your tapered shims? Or did u make em.

toyota_dan
12-16-2007, 10:50 PM
be careful with that advice, your going to end up screwing up your steering geomitry. you need to take a look at what is causing the problems before you start blindly buying things hoping they help...however if your set on it sport trucks and most spring shops will sell the pinion shims.

if your binding at the transfer case end i dont see how making the diff side's angle better will help much, especialy if it's binding at ride height, what will happen once your suspension flexes?...i'm assuming it's a cv type driveshaft, in which case i suggest either clearancing your cv, or running a single u-joint at the transfercase end, i doubt your pinion is aligned properly to ballance a cv anyways..

RUNTOTHEHILLS
12-17-2007, 12:50 AM
yea.. thanks dan. Im not jumping to any solutions yet. Need to figure this out. Its just weird that it clears up when at speed and fells great when i turn it by hand. Maybe the tcase doesnt allign perfectly with the pinion on the front dif? Im at a loss...need some troubleshooting ideas.

TWOZEROFOUR
12-17-2007, 02:10 AM
I think they have topical creams to cure Frount Shaft Issues, thats what happens when you hang around gurls from the Kootneys. Is it more of an Itch or a Burn:dontknow:

TWOZEROFOUR
12-17-2007, 02:10 AM
oh yea, and what dan said [36]

RUNTOTHEHILLS
12-17-2007, 02:13 AM
I think they have topical creams to cure Frount Shaft Issues, thats what happens when you hang around gurls from the Kootneys. Is it more of an Itch or a Burn:dontknow:

What do you use for the shaft that comes in your rear?

FZJ80
12-17-2007, 07:08 AM
Sounds like it's time for a cut and turn on your axle.
Is there a double cardan on the shaft?

StinkFinger
12-17-2007, 07:39 AM
id check the cv i just threw one on a buddys truck this weekend it seems fine but hes having the same problem replaced it with another shaft and all is well

toyota_dan
12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
What do you use for the shaft that comes in your rear?

KY

i would suggest clearancing your cv regardless unless the driveshaft shop you had do the lengthening did it already, and buy a rebuild kit for the double cardigan joint while your at it. the fact that it seems to spin fine at speed adn by hand makes me think it's a clearance issue, but i'm taking a shot in the dark here.

if the shop that lengthaned it clearanced it too take it back and make them fix the problem.