PDA

View Full Version : 90 yj motor swap

Millhouse
12-14-2007, 06:31 PM
so my standard tranny just blew i have the 2.5 liter peice of shit motor in it right now. it is 1000 bucks for used tranny or rebuild. so im thinking now would be a good time to swap in a 350 and turbo 350 tranny. any suggestions as to why this might be a bad idea?

also anyone ever done a spring over lift on these things? it seems like it would be a pretty easy way of lifting it.

OverkillYJ
12-14-2007, 10:37 PM
its going to cost a lot, i got a 383 and t400 and that was the cheapest part, i went overkill but i wouldent cheap out if youve got HP.

Mr Vic
12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
its gonna be pricey, and big job unless you do most ofd the work. stay spring under with 4.5" rubicon express lift and consider bigger axles with the motor swap. also what t case you use is important and can be another $500 adapter to use the jeep tcase on the turbo 350

Melvin
12-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Why not a stroker inline 6? Or a ford 302?

Balls First
12-15-2007, 04:40 PM
mines got a spring over its a pretty simple deal but your gonna need to upgrade to a high steer kit spring over springs (stock ones will snap) and your gonna have to lengthen your drive shafts and either build a ladder bar or goto a bigger yoke cuz your gonna be snappin U joints a ladder bar would be better because with a spring over your gonna get axle wrap like a mofo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8NFUfIafs

thats my 91 YJ notice the fatty axle wrap no ladder bar but its got U joint straps from an F150 holding it on hasnt snapped so far and that burnout was after it sat for 2 years in a feild got it running fixed the mad oil leak and hauled ass

Balls First
12-15-2007, 04:42 PM
and just so ya know im doin a 350 swap too so far i have a 350 out of a 76 chev but im lookin for an SM465 4 speed tranny and an NP205 t case they'll handle the abuse as for axles personally im stealing some from a 71 F250 D60 front n rear

Millhouse
12-15-2007, 05:25 PM
oh sorry it will have a chevy transfer case too.

it doesnt seem like it would be too hard of a project, just motor mounts crossmember, driveshafts, and plumbing.???the diffs will be fine for now. if i break them i will put shevy diffs in too. the spring over wont happen for a while it just seems like a really easy way to lift it.

Nutbar
12-15-2007, 05:35 PM
If done right V8 swap into a yj will cost you minimum $3000 - $5000 by the time you get adaptors, radiator, drive shafts, engine accessories (Alt, Steering pump etc), wiring, clutch parts, the list goes on it is not a cheap venture and is by no means easy, DON'T KID YOURSELF OTHERWISE. I have been doin this kind of stuff for more than 25yrs

SOA lifts in the little jeeps are BULLSHIT and not not NOT a cheap way to lift them by the time you do all the extra shit to make a SOA swap work right and drive well you have spent as much or more than a GOOD lift kit and the SOA will not work as well as a well put together lift kit with GOOD springs