PDA

View Full Version : Import a toyota to Canada

jeep-neil
12-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the thread where this should be but I was just wondering if anyone has ever imported a truck into B.c from australia or even anywhere I guess. I am currently living in Australia for another 8 months or so and down here they have the toyota hiluxs, diesel with the solid front axle all over the place. think they made them down here with the solid front until 91ish. anyways i was wondering how hard it is to get the vehicle inspected and able ot be insured in B.C. Any help would be awsome thanks everyone. Cheers

gavman
12-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Its not difficult to do as long as it's fifteen years old and able to pass a fairly strict provincial inspection[cheers]

MundusPax
12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
My dad just inported a Mercedes from Poland, 1992 300D 3.0 V6 Diesel
and gavman is correct, has to be 15 yrs or older (to the month) and just one provincial inspection
in my experiance, it's easier to import a car that is 15yrs or older than a newer car from the US - different inportation procedure
hint: go to a private inspection center, a lot easier than Canadian Tire - trust me I've done it a few times already ;)

shelizard
12-13-2007, 11:40 AM
don't bother ....theres a dealership here that sells them .....we bought one then bought another....brought the second one over tho in a container ...more money on the long run.....like i said wait and buy it here

jeep-neil
12-13-2007, 02:45 PM
So if I did get one it should be completely stock to be able to pass the inspection? How much was the container over? because I'm just thinking about buying an older 85-89 with the diesel engine to bring over. I've seen them here for about 3000-6000 Australia. How much would they be at that dealership?

duff
12-13-2007, 02:54 PM
the problem with australia is the distance, ever notice how there isnt many full sized american trucks down there? I hear the guys at the race track haul 24 foot race car trailers with the austrailian equivilent of a ford taruse, the longer distance makes for huge shiping charges, unlike japan whitch is just over the pacific.

jeep-neil
12-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Yeah they barely have any full size trucks down here, They love their ford falcons and the holden utes. I'm going to try and check out how much it would be to ship on because they have some nice toyotas down here. They also have some sweet cruisers here.

lizard
12-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I think a container from Aus would be killer $$ but if your moving back here just get a moving company to ship it for you , you just fill it up then they will get it here .

container from Japan was about 3000+ last time I checked

Get the newest (15 year ) one you can get , some aussy's put a turbo on them too, and yah it will have to be pretty much stock to pass the VI's

duff
12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah they barely have any full size trucks down here, They love their ford falcons and the holden utes. I'm going to try and check out how much it would be to ship on because they have some nice toyotas down here. They also have some sweet cruisers here.

ya my boss was down there in the spring and the guys at the race track where saying a used newr f150 down ther go's for about 70g's caus of the cost involved in bringing them over.

Trooper
12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
The problem with australia is the amount trucks are driven. A 15 year old diesel pickup is usually pretty beat up and with high k's. So its generally not worth it to bring them into canada. Most of the vehicles dont get exported, Russia is the exception they will buy anything right now. More JDM's are exported from japan to australia then africa and Canada combined. You can get a roll on roll off from sydney to japan then japan to vancouver for around $2500 or less. Depending on the capacity

jeep-neil
12-13-2007, 11:18 PM
that might be worth it because I've seen some nice solid axle toyotas, with the diesel engine. Ill definatly have to look into it some more. .... Its nuts down here you might see some full size fords but thats pretty much it. Down here they love their ford falcons witht he v8 adn same with their holden utes with the v8.

flipper
12-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Try and get a turbo diesel, makes for easy power mods.

jeep-neil
12-16-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm looking into an 89 4runner wiht the solid front axle and the turbo diesel. well see he wants 3900 and I could use it down here for the next 8 months and then try to get it home. It sounds like its stock so if I did get it back it should pass the inspection.

duff
12-16-2007, 08:04 AM
its 3 deg and pissing rain out why would you want to come back?
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: just sayin.... how bout sending some pics of the beach for those of us freezing our ass's off?

lizard
12-16-2007, 10:06 AM
just a heads up .....there is basically no room for roll on rolloff to Van from japan , u may have to wait 3months + and u will have to pay storage in japan ...

DO YOUR HOMEWORK or yah may get screwed

and yah sum pics would be cool

MundusPax
12-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I think a container from Aus would be killer $$ but if your moving back here just get a moving company to ship it for you , you just fill it up then they will get it here .

container from Japan was about 3000+ last time I checked

Get the newest (15 year ) one you can get , some aussy's put a turbo on them too, and yah it will have to be pretty much stock to pass the VI's

Not sure from Australia but you may not have to get a whole container
My dad shipped his mercedes - station wagon from Poland for $1700 USD
I wasn't shipped in a container but with other car shippments
and it's accross the Atlantic and North America to Seattle, then he just rented a U-haul truck with car trailer and picked it up from there

Not sure what you can afford but it's cool to drive a unique car/truck around
I have a 1988 Mitsubishi Starion here, as far as I know there is only 2 in Lower Mainland, more rare than Nissan Skyline now, hehe
I had a few people already asking "ahh, what kind of a car is that ?"

PS: there are places that will pass it even if it's modified, I got a 2DR Tahoe from the states with a 6" lift
Canadian Tire would not pass it, said if I take the lift out he would and then I could do whatever, so I found 2 places that did pass VI ;)

jeep-neil
12-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, Ill have to look into the wait and everything now, So if I try to send it in July I hopefully won't have any delays. I'm in not rush yet Ill be looking from now on to march, hopefully something good will come before then because I'm going to thailand for march then coming back to Aus and hopefully have something to travel the coast in. Being able to get some free camping in the bus would be good. Ill put some pictures up as soon as I Check out a few. I'd like to just live here but dam imigrations kick me out next october, rcazy Aussie rules.

jeep-neil
12-16-2007, 12:31 PM
I think it would totally be worth tryign to get one over, The solid axle swaps alone at home are like 3 g's I think.

mqhoon
12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
you want to start importing fj40's and bj40's into canada if anything...
i know im an aussie, ive wrecked lots of fj's used them for bash cars, rolled lots, they only cost $500 to a few grand for decent ones and over here in canada, your lucky to find one under 10k!!!

jeep-neil
12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
well Since its cold at home I'll post up a few pics. The first one is our apartment, the little green one on the right. That photo was taken fomr the beach, Its pretty much my front yard. The second was looking right from there towards the center of Surfers Paradise. The third...well I thought that one was diffrent when I saw it.

lizard
12-21-2007, 05:46 PM
nice ................u basterd

what are yah doing there .......extended vacation?

jeep-neil
12-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah I've seen alot of fj's and Bj's down here for pretty cheap. I've thought about those too.I just dont know if I would want to travel around in an fj or bj down here for a month or two. Never know though it would be pretty fun too.

jeep-neil
12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm here on my working holiday visa. Once I graduated highschool in 06 I decided to save up and go travelling and I've been travelling since Aug 19th. Had to get away from home for abit, definatly makes you appreciate home alot more.