PDA

View Full Version : xj problem!

white
12-09-2007, 08:09 PM
FIXED

Aside from all its other problems, this has got me fucking pissed.

Here is the story:

Its my daily.
had it on a 50deg climb for 800m sunday wheeling, ran the tank to a low quarter, and of course the pump was crying about it.
stopped at chevron monday after work and toped off w/ 80L and... fucker.
started it up at the pump and it was ideling at 1500-2000 (all over the map)
drove it and it wouldn't shift very well at all (its an auto trans)... was way up at 4500 some times!
put it in park and let it run and it wanted to choke
came to a stop some times and it did.
Starts became very slow
Idel went back to 800 over the next few days
Just sits at 1200, 1500 rpm on hills with the pettle to the floor.
Will not rev high in top gear when floored.
stalls in 4 low when not on the gas.
studders some times when I give it gas.
NOW, every time i reverse out of my driveway it stalls.
when I try to restart it, it wont turn over... nothing (battery is good, fuel pump does prime line)
... also, the trans wont move from park with the key in the start position, until I put the tcase in nutral and move the truck around a bit. Most times if I let it sit for an hour, it will start up like normal, i just have to drive with two feet so it dosn't stall out.

THE CPS IS MY NEXT STEP, BUT ITS ANOTHER $100.

Here are the factors:

New as can be, top quality
battery
plugs
wires
distrib cap & router
air filter
fuel filter was 8mth old
cleaned the trottle body a month ago.
injectors are clean too.
ignition coil (msd) a month ago

All these have been fine over the past month(s)
(... but you never know when shit wants to act up)

ran the tank to empty this week, changed the fuel filter again anyway (no luck), and refilled with pertrocan. (is it just me, or is the gas in this valley shit?)

replaced the TPS
switched the relays around (seem fine)

My thoughts:

I think the pumps stressed, not being able to do its job at peak.
but, im told pumps either work or don't.
its noisy, but it works.

Checked the vacuum lines and they all appear to be fine should I do something more then a visual inspection?.

when i changed the ignition coil a month ago i shorted shorted the battery, it was then the heater blower motor went... could i have done more to the electrical at that time that took a month to show up? any thoughts?

Roc
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
EGR I think

Big-Luke
12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
TPS sensor maybe......

Chody
12-09-2007, 09:53 PM
could be jeep... j/k sounds electrical to me...

Kinslayer
12-09-2007, 10:53 PM
TPS sensor maybe......

or CPS, when mine when it just didn't want to idle though

duff
12-09-2007, 11:23 PM
crank sensor, bolts on the bell housing

white
12-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Lots of suggestions. very nice...
any specifics on why any of these sensors would be responsible for all that is ill? how to check?
not looking to replace everything as I know I'm looking at 50-100 for most sensors listed.
I'm wondering what it has to do with filling my tank?
as for the quick re: guys, MUCH THANKS.

Kinslayer
12-10-2007, 07:44 AM
It's because we all have 4L's and we've all had those same issues, heh. It's one of those sensors, i'd probably start with the crank position sensor (drops down from a 2 prong plug onto the bell housing on the drivers side of the motor).. they tend to go at the most annoying times. Most people with these trucks have one or two spares with them, I know I do. I have a couple TPS's too

white
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
kinslayer,

you think its worth grabbing extras of the listed sensors for the p&pull then? or just new? If they work they work right?

Roc,

I am hearing the odd knock (loud) when parked after driving for a bit, 3 times since the issue started. Think thats the EGR (exhaust gas recirculator right?)

Thanks for the help.

keep em coming if you have other suggestions.

thx.

Kinslayer
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
kinslayer,

you think its worth grabbing extras of the listed sensors for the p&pull then? or just new? If they work they work right?

Roc,

I am hearing the odd knock (loud) when parked after driving for a bit, 3 times since the issue started. Think thats the EGR (exhaust gas recirculator right?)

Thanks for the help.

keep em coming if you have other suggestions.

thx.

For sure man, easiest/cheapest way to diagnose an issue, i'd probably suggest putting in new sensors to have in there normally, but whatever gets you out of the bush works well enough!

Leithmc
12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
If it was the egr, it would only affect the idle. I'd say if the tranny shifting issue happened the same time the rest of the problems did, start with the tps. MAKE SURE IT'S PROPERLY ADJUSTED WHEN YOU INSTALL IT.

white
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
TPS makes sense, but if it was the TPS, would it be stalling?

Leithmc, properly adjusted meaning I'll figue it out, or I should know what I'm doing?

Kinslayer
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
TPS makes sense, but if it was the TPS, would it be stalling?

Leithmc, properly adjusted meaning I'll figue it out, or I should know what I'm doing?

Just look at how your old one is installed, and install the new one in the 'clean' marks. It turns like a distributor. the TPS tells the computer where your foot is on the gas and adjusts the timing based on it, so if it thinks your foot is hammer down when it's not hammer down, the computer is going to adjust your timing INappropriately. If that causes it to stall, so be it.

Kinslayer
12-10-2007, 03:44 PM
TPS adjustment:

http://wagoneers.com/XJ/tech/TPS-adjustment.html

white
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
TPS adjustment:

http://wagoneers.com/XJ/tech/TPS-adjustment.html

I've seen this link before, but mine is a 92. Its not the same, or is it?

starting to make sense...
think i owe some beers here guys

Kinslayer
12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
92's the HO, but it should be the same shit. I'd slap it on in the same place yours is now and see how it runs. if it's still running like shit it could be out of adjustment, but I mean, it's probably NEVER been adjusted WRONG..so unless it's SLIPPED...

white
12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
STILL NO GO

REVISED FIRST POST (IN BOLD)

Kinslayer
12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah dude, CPS. I'd let you borrow one of mine but you are far away. Go to the wrecker and grab one!

white
12-13-2007, 04:30 PM
FIXED THAT ONE!

[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]
[cheers]

Kinslayer
12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Was it the CPS?

white
12-17-2007, 11:30 AM
TPS. didn't work worth shit when I first put it in, then day 2 was a dream. runs great now. Thank for your help!

Kinslayer
12-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Nice! well there ya have it. I guess the computer had set itself to 'safe mode' or something, maybe next time pop your positive terminal to reboot the system - resetting any codes...:dontknow: